Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Tesla J1772 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 Tesla Wall connectors, and have been using them between my 2 Teslas.. I recently bought a Rivian R1T, and decided to get a Tesla J1772 Wall Connector to add to the mix for that truck.
If i use the Tesla J1772 adapter to try and plug my Tesla into the Tesla J1772 wall connector, i get a solid red light on the tesla, and the wall connector..
As a complete test, I plugged it back in to my rivian, and get a green light. It starts charging. If i immediately plug it back in to the Tesla J1772 adapter, and back into the tesla it will charge... But each time I want to charge the tesla using the J1772 wall connector, I first have to plug it in to my Rivian to get a green light, Then plug in to my Tesla to charge. If i try to plug in to the tesla first, i ALWAYS get a red light..

The issue is, All my wall connectors are inside the garage. I use a 20Ft J1772 extension cord to charge the Rivian outside the garage.. I recently decided I would rather park the Rivian inside, and now cant easily charge the Tesla outside. lol

Any tips/Tricks to get this to work as it should?

I don’t know any tips or tricks, but look at it like this: Forgetting about the Rivian, if you just plug in your Tesla with the adaptor and it won’t charge, you would return the WC or adaptor as defective. If it won’t do that simple function it has a problem, and I wouldn’t even mention the part about charging the Rivian first. Good Luck!

Do you have (or can you borrow) another Tesla J1772 adapter to see if that is bad?
Yes. I now have 3 teslas and have tried all 3 adapters. Same result.
Tesla says there are no issues with the wall connector either, yet they can’t see where the wall connector has been charging anything. They also told me to buy another J1772 adapter which, I’ve tried 3.
I’m pretty much settled on it being a wall connector issue at this point, but can’t get tesla to replace it.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
I think there may be slight differences somehow with adapters. I had an 2018 M3 and used the J adapter all the time. I bought a 2022 MY and tried to use the same adapter, and it suddenly would throw a fault and wouldn't work. ...but the adapter that came with the MY would work. *shrug*

I have had a similar experience with the Wall Connector.

The Wall Connector is a bad choice if you are concerned about compatibility with other cars.

The simpler J1772 connectors seem to have better compatibility. I use the one the National Park Service buys. It was Clipper Creek but now it is called Enhpase.