Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question on adapters: Is there a Tesla brand NACS-to-J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With yesterday's announcement of the Universal Wall Connector coming in October, I was thinking of returning the regular Wall Connector that I got two weeks ago (still new in box). I've owned a Model Y Long Range for just under three weeks now and we've been fine with using the Mobile Charger for trickle charging on 120V. I eventually will install a Level 2 charger since my state has incentives and I might as well get it somewhat subsidized, but I am now debating the Universal Wall Connector that comes with the J1772 adapter.

I saw in another post someone mentioning that by using it to charge mostly Teslas and NCAS EVs, you are maximizing wear and tear since the charger docks into the J177 adapter. I hadn't thought of this and factoring in that the dimensions of the new universal charger seem slightly larger and it's more expensive, I am now left wondering if I should just go ahead with having an electrician wire me for 240V and mount the regular Wall Connector that I already have.

Does Tesla sell a standalone adapter that goes from NCAS to J1772? Part of my thought process was to get the universal connector so that family and friends could visit and simply get fast charging in my garage without needing to worry about them bringing or having adapters. But based on my hesitance for the reasons listed above, I'm wondering if I can just buy a standalone adapter for that purpose. The Tesla online shop lists the J1772 adapter but as a newbie I'm fairly sure but not positive that it is J1772 to NCAS, right? So my two questions are does NCAS to J1772 exist as a standalone adapter (or do you think it will now that Tesla has announced the Universal Mobile Connector), and in my shoes what are your thoughts versus getting a standalone adapter so friends can charge their non-Teslas at my home as opposed to waiting and buying the Universal Wall Connector.

Thank you!

Does Tesla sell a standalone adapter that goes from NCAS to J1772?

Not yet, they dont.

Previously, I would have recommended for anyone who thought they might have non tesla EVs, to buy the J1772 wall connector and then use the J1772 to tesla adapter that still comes with every new Tesla.

Now, it appears the J1772 wall connector is going to be retired. If I were in your shoes I would likely return the one you have and order the Universal wall connector, as long as you are ok with the price difference between that and the regular wall connector, to be nice to your friends related to charging at your house.

I've been charging my Model 3 from a J1772 EVSE for over 5 years now (the J1772 adapter is basically "permanently" attached to my charging station connector--I bought a second one to keep in the car -- and yes, I realize this is the opposite of what you were talking about). My wife has driven some non-Tesla EVs and uses the other J1772 on the unit (it's dual headed). Recently the unit has started to crap out (only one connector works), and my wife has moved up to a Model Y, so now we have 2 Teslas charging from a J1772 EVSE. I figured it was time to go with a new EVSE.

Now I have been telling folks that they may want to consider just getting a J1772 EVSE which will work with any car (although the Tesla wall connector is actually a really good deal), but in light of all the manufacturers moving to NACS, I went against my own advice and bought a Tesla wall connector. It came in a couple of weeks ago (hasn't even been installed yet--my appointment is for Aug 29th). So now I am in the same boat as you!

However, I'm not going to bother with trying to return it in favor of the "magic dock" version. Why would I? With all manufacturers moving to NACS, and with the fact that we now have 2 NACS vehicles, I am 95% certain that I will not need a J1772 in my future. Sure, I know that you are thinking of friends & family that may have J1772 needing to charge while they visit, but I've been pretty satisfied with just using 120V when visiting friends & family that have no EVSE.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I've been charging my Model 3 from a J1772 EVSE for over 5 years now (the J1772 adapter is basically "permanently" attached to my charging station connector-....
I am similar. I went with a ChargePoint HomeFlex because my power company basically financed the entire installation of it. So I am currently using an adapter (I have a second one just like you that I keep with the EVSE). However ChargePoint announced that they will be selling a retrofit NACS cable...and I plan on purchasing that. So while I currently have a non Tesla EVSE that will charge anything, I'm going to pay a bit extra to transform it into NACS only! Hey, I use it every day...if I have any friends or family that want to use it for a J1772....let them bring their own adapter. :)

Reactions: RTPEV
I am similar. I went with a ChargePoint HomeFlex because my power company basically financed the entire installation of it. So I am currently using an adapter (I have a second one just like you that I keep with the EVSE). However ChargePoint announced that they will be selling a retrofit NACS cable...and I plan on purchasing that. So while I currently have a non Tesla EVSE that will charge anything, I'm going to pay a bit extra to transform it into NACS only! Hey, I use it every day...if I have any friends or family that want to use it for a J1772....let them bring their own adapter. :)
There are lots of Tesla brand J1772s floating around as they used to include one with the car. Mine has never been used. I’ve also got a low usage CHAdeMo, if you’re interested.

There are lots of Tesla brand J1772s floating around as they used to include one with the car. Mine has never been used. I’ve also got a low usage CHAdeMo, if you’re interested.
I don't think Tesla makes (yet) an adapter that Plugs into a Tesla Level 2 charging NACS cable...and then plugs into a J1772 car/receptacle. (Other than what is included in the new Universal Wall Charger as part of the "magic dock" system).

Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
Tesla does not but 3rd party adapters like this one have been around for a while now.

I don't think Tesla makes (yet) an adapter that Plugs into a Tesla Level 2 charging NACS cable...and then plugs into a J1772 car/receptacle. (Other than what is included in the new Universal Wall Charger as part of the "magic dock" system).
I had a Lectron adapter I used with my 2020 Leaf SV+. It worked fine. They're often available at good prices on eBay.