Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NACS / SAE J3400 to NEMA 5-15 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The J1772 plug can provide access to the two phases (240V) or one phase and the Neutral (120V),
so I wonder if you can always plug a 5-15 to any J1772 without knowing which voltage you will get?

J1772 .png
L1Line 1single-phase AC
L2/NLine 2 / Neutralsingle-phase AC
CPControl pilotpost-insertion signalling
PPProximity pilotpre-insertion signalling
PEProtective earthfull-current protective earthing system

The only NEMA plug accepting 120V or 240V is the NEMA 14-20.

NEMA L14-20 .jpg

However, if you don't have any other plug available in your garage and if you own this property, I would just add a new 5-15 or 5-20 receptacle .
because it would be more convenient to just keep your car plugged when you park your car, so you don't forget to plug in if you charge during the night.
And have a separate plug available for charging your e-bike, use for a 12V battery charger, air tire pump, electrical drill or wood saw....

However, this type of adapter could be practical when going to a public place, like an hotel, where there will be no plug to charge your e-bike,
But I think that having a charger connected to your 12V battery to charger your e-bike when not at home would be a more general solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: yurmix and ATPMSD
I agree with @Watts_Up, especially as a NACS to 120v adapter does not exist.

Since you said you have small circuit box feeding the Tesla connector (wall connector?) that box is the best place to tap a 120v feed. And to keep it legal, in that box you will need a 240v standard breaker of the appropriate size for the Tesla wall connector and a 15A (or 20A) GFCI breaker for the 120v circuit.

I’m trying to find a solution to charge my e-bike in the garage.
My e-bike charger is dual-voltage, 120 or 240 volts. I just bought:

I've found evseadapter products to be reliable, unlike a lot of the junk I've gotten from Amazon.

You need be very careful to ensure your e-bike charge can handle 240 volts though. Carefully check the spec plate in the side of the charger. You also have to be very careful that you don't plug any 120v only device into that normal 5-15 outlet.

That is just another J-1772 option but you could use any of the many J-1772 to NACS adapters such as:
if you just have a NACS charging station in your garage.