Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Southern California edison time of use rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here--stumbled across the thread while searching for others talking about this issue. My wife and I don't have a Tesla [yet], but we'd have to wait for our Leaf lease to end first anyway.

At first glance, the options from SCE for those being kicked out of TOU-D-TEV kinda suck, especially if you're a net metered customer with a PV install (like us). Like jstepy mentioned, SCE can pull your data and do a comparison but only if you aren't a net metered customer. Because of this, my wife and I decided to do a little investigation and model our hourly net usage for 2014 to help figure out which plan would be best for us...

Problem 1: You can't really download a year's worth of hourly net usage data from SCE. Using the Green Button tool will give you a year of hourly data, but it's not net usage--it zeroes any time period where your production exceeds usage and would result in a negative kWh value. My wife thinks that there's probably an unsigned integer issue with their data retrieval software and that's likely also why SCE won't model plan cost for net metered customers (they run into the same problem).

Problem 2: The issue presented by problem 1 meant that the only way to retrieve hourly net usage data in CSV was by clicking through SCE's web interface to view a single day's usage and hitting the download button. The resulting CSV is given a generic name (UsageReport.csv) and Windows seems to only automatically increment the name up to 100. Additionally, the SCE website is painfully slow most of the time...so, as you'd imagine, this is a very time consuming process. To speed things along, we decided to pull every Wednesday and Saturday from 2014 instead of every day. Could extrapolating from 2 data points per week add inaccuracy to the model? Sure, but we couldn't see any discernible pattern throughout the year occurring on those days of the week and it's a lot better than spending days trying to pull all of the 2014 data. We extrapolated in such a way as to have the Wednesday data represent the 5 weekdays and the Saturday data represent the 2 weekend days per week.

Problem 3: I honestly cannot figure out how SCE allocates Tier 1 allowances for plans like TOU-D-T and the baseline that the Tier 1 allowance is calculated from changes over the course of a year... so we had to model it assuming that Tier 2 would never be encountered. I also haven't yet gotten a good answer as to what the -$0.10/kWh Baseline Allocation Credit on the TOU-D-A plan actually is. During my first call with SCE yesterday, I was told that they'd take the total net kWh usage for a billing period, multiply by -$0.10, and then apply that as a credit to the bill. This doesn't make sense to me... also, does it mean that SCE is going to charge us during the 3 months or so per year where we produce more power than we consume? I'm waiting for further confirmation from them and, in the meantime, we had to exclude it from our model.

Problem 4: Looking through the data caused us to realize that the pros/cons of these plans are extremely use case specific. Combine that with problems 1 & 2 and I don't see how we could make an easy tool to help people figure this stuff out.

With that out of the way, here's what we came up with...

- During the year of 2014 (calendar year, not NEM relevant period), our net power consumption was 1473kWh (8478kWh if we didn't have the PV system, rated at 5kW DC/4.1kW AC) and our net tracked charge worked out to about -$442 for that period under TOU-D-TEV (not modeled, just pulled from SCE bills for reference). Service fees should have been about $12 for the year.

- Using our model, TOU-D-A would have resulted in a net tracked charge of -$397 plus $11.16 in service fees in 2014 (again, the -$0.10/kWh Baseline Allocation Credit isn't included due to problem 3).

- TOU-D-B would have resulted in a net tracked charge of $49 plus $192 in service fees in 2014--clearly not a good choice for us given our usage patterns but possibly good for those who use gobs of power and maybe don't have solar?

- TOU-D-T would have resulted in a net tracked charge of -$123 plus $11.16 in service fees in 2014--not as favorable as TOU-D-A in our case, but we had to model this plan using only the Tier 1 rate data due to the issues discussed in problem 3. My guess would be that moving into Tier 2 on this plan would likely do more harm than good. While it would increase production credit, the cost of power consumption would jump considerably and there's no super off peak discount for electric car charging.

Without an easy way to pull the necessary data from SCE's site, I can't really think of a way for people to do their own modeling that wouldn't involve hours of work. The numbers above are specific to our power consumption, production, and usage times... but maybe they'll be useful to someone? If nothing else, we should probably complain to the PUC about how difficult it is to determine the impact of these rate plans on customers.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome and I'll post an update once I get clarification from SCE about that Baseline Allocation Credit on TOU-D-A.

Problem 3: I honestly cannot figure out how SCE allocates Tier 1 allowances for plans like TOU-D-T and the baseline that the Tier 1 allowance is calculated from changes over the course of a year... so we had to model it assuming that Tier 2 would never be encountered. I also haven't yet gotten a good answer as to what the -$0.10/kWh Baseline Allocation Credit on the TOU-D-A plan actually is. During my first call with SCE yesterday, I was told that they'd take the total net kWh usage for a billing period, multiply by -$0.10, and then apply that as a credit to the bill. This doesn't make sense to me... also, does it mean that SCE is going to charge us during the 3 months or so per year where we produce more power than we consume? I'm waiting for further confirmation from them and, in the meantime, we had to exclude it from our model.

Welcome! I can help with Problem 3, as I figured all this out when I was doing my initial cost projections for solar. SCE allocates Tier 1 allowances as follows:

They take your total usage in each TOU period for the whole month, and determine what percentage of your total monthly use is in each period. For example, if you had 200 kWh Peak, 300 kWh Off-Peak and 500 kWh Super-Off Peak, they'll break that into 20% Peak, 30% Off-Peak, and 50% Super-Off Peak. Then then take your Tier 1 allowance, and divide it into a tier 1 allowance for each TOU period based on those percentages. Each TOU period thus enters Tier 2 at a different time. They can't do this calculation until the end of the month, but they do list the calculation they did in your bill as supporting text on the right side of the bill. If your billing period includes the switch from summer to winter or vice-versa, they'll split the allowance between winter and summer based on number of days in each and then do the calculation as normal for each TOU period in each season separately.

Does that make sense?

I'm disappointed that the Green Dot data doesn't include -kWh periods. I've been having problems with my TED monitoring system recently, and I had figured I could use the Green Dot data in place of it, but I guess not. I should get the TED system back working.

Welcome! I can help with Problem 3, as I figured all this out when I was doing my initial cost projections for solar. SCE allocates Tier 1 allowances as follows:

They take your total usage in each TOU period for the whole month, and determine what percentage of your total monthly use is in each period. For example, if you had 200 kWh Peak, 300 kWh Off-Peak and 500 kWh Super-Off Peak, they'll break that into 20% Peak, 30% Off-Peak, and 50% Super-Off Peak. Then then take your Tier 1 allowance, and divide it into a tier 1 allowance for each TOU period based on those percentages. Each TOU period thus enters Tier 2 at a different time. They can't do this calculation until the end of the month, but they do list the calculation they did in your bill as supporting text on the right side of the bill. If your billing period includes the switch from summer to winter or vice-versa, they'll split the allowance between winter and summer based on number of days in each and then do the calculation as normal for each TOU period in each season separately.

Does that make sense?

I'm disappointed that the Green Dot data doesn't include -kWh periods. I've been having problems with my TED monitoring system recently, and I had figured I could use the Green Dot data in place of it, but I guess not. I should get the TED system back working.

Yes, that makes sense and I now understand what I was doing wrong while trying to figure it out. The question now is whether or not we should spend the time incorporating that into the model to improve the accuracy of the TOU-D-T projection...

Our TED monitoring system quit working correctly a while ago.

Yes, that makes sense and I now understand what I was doing wrong while trying to figure it out. The question now is whether or not we should spend the time incorporating that into the model to improve the accuracy of the TOU-D-T projection...

Our TED monitoring system quit working correctly a while ago.

Great. TOU-D-B is great for people who use lots of power without generation, certainly. For Solar with an EV, I think TOU-D-A is the only decent choice. We get screwed by the on-peak shift to later in the day, but TOU-D-B is worse due to the low payouts for Net Excess during the height of production. -A still provides a worst-case 2.5:1 credit ratio for daytime generation used for night-time charging. -B gives barely 30% more during winter months. I also want to discourage any attempt by SCE to claim that their customers don't mind a large $19/month Basic Charge.

Of course, if all of these TOU schemes cause problems, you can always go back to the basic D plan and just offset your power 1:1.

I got my TED back by power-cycling the MTUs. It's happy again, and properly reporting to PVOutput. I sometimes plug in a bunch of electronics on the circuit the MTUs use to communicate with the Gateway, and they need a reboot to get back reporting properly.

Let me add a guess about the baseline credit. I believe, but have not verified that you multiply it times your monthly baseline kWh. In my case the baseline is 360kwh in winter so it is $36.

I have done a little modeling also usung some crude assumptions. I agree it is on a use case, and I am fortunate to be able to shift my EV charging and my water heater timing. Less so with my electric dryer and range. My heating is also electric but I only use that in winter. I initially thought TOU-D-A was the best for me. After more analysis I concluded I woul try TOU-D-T.

What I like about TOU-D-T was the ON peak from Noon to 6pm. The rest of the day and night it is only $0.13/kWh. That rate is $0.04 higher than A & B's Super Off Peak rate but significantly cheaper than Mid Peak. I also liked the flexibility of running some things in the morning and after 6PM. I can schedule thing so i can maximize generation revenue during the peak. For simplicity I assumed I would stay in Tier 1. My goal for my system is to zero out at the end of my relevant period. I was sucessful at that last year. I have some convenient free local charging options so I can shift to those if needed to hit my target.

BTW, thanks for all of the above. It helped me tune up my analysis.

Last edited:
I am on the same plan as you...the letter says I will be automatically switched in February.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 67936View attachment 67936

Has anybody received any additional letters from SCE since this original letter early in January? This letter states that they would mail additional information. I am wondering if our lobbying efforts have led to delay. I received from CPUC stating that my complaint has been transferred to the "Public Relations" division, but I have nothing from them as yet.

I just looked again at the SCE website and it looks like there has been a delay in implementation of the TOU-D plan for current TOU-D-TEV customers, from Feb to March/April. Maybe our lobbying has had some effect, forcing SCE to better justify the change to CPUC for those of us with BEV and Solar. Here's hoping that CPUC reconsiders the switch and either grandfather's us in and/or makes SCE continue peak time at the same times as the current TOU-D-TEV (i.e. 10am-6pm).

"Important information for current TOU-D-TEV CustomersThe new Residential Time-of-Use Plan, TOU-D, was introduced January 1, 2015 to replace our Home & Electric Vehicle Plan, TOU-D-TEV. Current TOU-D-TEV customers will be transitioned to the new rate during March and April 2015. You can decide to remain on this new plan, or switch to another rate plan of your choice."

https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/residential/electric-cars/residential-rates/!ut/p/b1/hc9NDoIwEAXgs3gAmYEaissSsRT8FxW7MWiwEpEaNOLxrYkbTdS3e8k3yTyQkIKssluhsmuhq6x8dulubI-zUMxR8EXCUPg93w6HAnHUMWBtAH4Jw3_3K5DvxEt4YEiM3eXEIR1KPwGfUQdFtAwGY9920HNeoMsxCKOxAcmUoCBTHM0ZI4juC_x4MgKpSr01g1c-SBrfj5Q9p7FqSzwFss73eZ3X1kFfrpA2TWMprVWZWzt9gvMpxUK0ZV-1Wg_RiGw8/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?from=/residential/rates/electric-vehicles.htm

Fengshui,
When you mention the basic D rate, do you mean TOU-D-T otherwise described by SCE as Off Peak Savings plan?

Nope. I was referring to the basic Residential, D(omestic) rate, with no TOU and 4 tiers. Since there's no TOU, you get full credit for each kWh you generate. You may not eliminate your bill that way, but with Tier 1 at $0.15/kWh, it's not all that bad. TOU-D is a bad rate for EV owners, because it doesn't take much overnight charging to put you in Tier 2 there, which runs $0.25/kWh. I run almost 500 kWh per month in the current Super-Off-Peak Period (midnight-6am), and I expect more EV owners are similar. You want the -A rate for that juicy $0.11/kWh overnight rate with an EV.

Great. TOU-D-B is great for people who use lots of power without generation, certainly. For Solar with an EV, I think TOU-D-A is the only decent choice. We get screwed by the on-peak shift to later in the day, but TOU-D-B is worse due to the low payouts for Net Excess during the height of production. -A still provides a worst-case 2.5:1 credit ratio for daytime generation used for night-time charging. -B gives barely 30% more during winter months. I also want to discourage any attempt by SCE to claim that their customers don't mind a large $19/month Basic Charge
The shift in peak rates is problematic but the somewhat high rates across the board largely make up for it for us (we have really significant production that starts as early as 8:00am year round and doesn't wind down until 4:00-5:00pm). Interestingly, based on the 2014 data, our net on peak tracked charge under TOU-D-A would come out to -$0.289 (so, pretty much a break even), the off peak would be -$740.584, and super off peak would come to $429.66 (which is where the -$397 came from).

The standard residential Schedule D rate would be the most damaging rate choice of the bunch.

Let me add a guess about the baseline credit. I believe, but have not verified that you multiply it times your monthly baseline kWh. In my case the baseline is 360kwh in winter so it is $36.
I've heard that explanation as well... Supposedly a NEM person from SCE should be contacting me this week to confirm. If it does work that way, then at least in my case, TOU-D-A could work out even better for me than TOU-D-TEV. That's an easy thing to add to the model once I have confirmation.

Nope. I was referring to the basic Residential, D(omestic) rate, with no TOU and 4 tiers. Since there's no TOU, you get full credit for each kWh you generate. You may not eliminate your bill that way, but with Tier 1 at $0.15/kWh, it's not all that bad. TOU-D is a bad rate for EV owners, because it doesn't take much overnight charging to put you in Tier 2 there, which runs $0.25/kWh. I run almost 500 kWh per month in the current Super-Off-Peak Period (midnight-6am), and I expect more EV owners are similar. You want the -A rate for that juicy $0.11/kWh overnight rate with an EV.

Thanks, that is helpful. I will have to look at Tier 2 and add it to my analysis. I only use 250kWh on Super Off Peak and my Tier 1 Allocation is 361. My other usage is another 250 so that would put me into Tier 2 for part of the winter until my solar kWhs start to reduce that. I only have a couple months of history at this location, so much of my analysis had to be based on assumptions.

Okay, I just got off the phone with SCE and I've got some good news and some bad news...

- They are aware of the bug in the Green Button tool and are working to fix it. No ETA for the fix. The bug impacts all NEM accounts. The rep who called me is going to pull a year's worth of hourly usage and generation data and e-mail it to me (which, I know, doesn't help you guys).

- SCE recently started running rate simulations on NEM accounts and has begun making notes on accounts as to which of the new rate plans they think will be best for each customer. There should be a letter going out this month to TOU-D-TEV customers with more information. It sounded like the rate simulations they're doing aren't an on-the-fly give 'em a call and get an answer sort of thing.

- The Baseline Allocation Credit that's part of TOU-D-A can be both a good thing and a bad thing--net consumers will be happy, people who are consistently net producers won't be so thrilled. The TOU/NEM rep that I spoke with stated that net consumption up to your baseline amount (in kWh) per billing cycle would be credited to your tracked charges at $0.10/kWh. The same, however, applies to months in which you're a net producer... each kWh of net production will result in a $0.10/kWh charge being applied to your tracked charges up to your monthly baseline. In this case, net production beyond your monthly baseline wouldn't result in additional charges.

Examples:

If during a summer month where you had a baseline allocation of 465kWh and your net power usage was 669kWh, you would receive a $46.50 credit to your tracked charges. So, if your net monetary charge for the month would have been $60.13, it would instead end up being $13.63.

If during a winter month where you had a baseline allocation of 318kWh and your net power usage was -272kWh, you would receive a $27.20 charge to your tracked charges. So, if your net monetary charge for the month would have been -$98.39, it would instead end up being -$71.19.

If during a winter month where you had a baseline allocation of 318kWh and your net power usage was -350kWh, you would receive a $31.80 charge to your tracked charges. So, if your net monetary charge for the month would have been -$145.12, it would instead end up being -$113.32.

In a situation where you're a net consumer but have a negative (or near zero) monthly monetary charge, I'm going to assume that this Baseline Allocation Credit would push you further into the negative rather than simply vanishing... I didn't think to ask about that.

Now, I need to incorporate this information into my model along with the data that SCE said they'd e-mail to me... but a quick rough look using monthly net usage information from 2014 indicates that this Baseline Allocation Credit would work out to be quite favorable for me (then again, I'm only a net producer for about 3 months of the year). However, if the credit can't function in a <$0 capacity (i.e. it can zero a bill, but not push it below zero and not enhance an already negative bill), then it wouldn't be meaningfully beneficial for me (-$119 if it can vs. -$21.27 if it can't).

If anyone else happens to talk to SCE's TOU/NEM people about this, please let us know if you're given a different explanation or clarification on whether the credit works in a <$0 capacity (as discussed above).

- The Baseline Allocation Credit that's part of TOU-D-A can be both a good thing and a bad thing--net consumers will be happy, people who are consistently net producers won't be so thrilled. The TOU/NEM rep that I spoke with stated that net consumption up to your baseline amount (in kWh) per billing cycle would be credited to your tracked charges at $0.10/kWh. The same, however, applies to months in which you're a net producer... each kWh of net production will result in a $0.10/kWh charge being applied to your tracked charges up to your monthly baseline. In this case, net production beyond your monthly baseline wouldn't result in additional charges.
Interesting! So what I'm hearing is that the Baseline Allocation Credit is determined on your net kWh usage, not your monthly credit/debit. Here's an example:

If during a summer month where you had a baseline allocation of 465kWh, your net power usage was 669kWh, and your monthly charge was -$10.45 (due to credits from Peak Production outweighting your debits from Super Off-Peak Consumption), you would still receive a $46.50 credit to your tracked charges.

Is that correct?

Interesting! So what I'm hearing is that the Baseline Allocation Credit is determined on your net kWh usage, not your monthly credit/debit. Here's an example:

If during a summer month where you had a baseline allocation of 465kWh, your net power usage was 669kWh, and your monthly charge was -$10.45 (due to credits from Peak Production outweighting your debits from Super Off-Peak Consumption), you would still receive a $46.50 credit to your tracked charges.

Is that correct?
It does appear to be determined via net usage; however, the specific situation you described falls into the 'does the credit function in a <$0 capacity' issue that I brought up a little later in my post. If it does, then, yes, the total tracked charge for that month would be -$56.95. If it doesn't, then you'd just get the straight -$10.45 added to the tracked charges. I'm going to inquire further to clarify this detail of the Baseline Allocation Credit.

@ Ampster - At first I too was thinking I would just go with the standard time of use rate plant that had just On-Peak 12-6pm and Off-Peak with he two Tier Levels. But as many posted here a few nights charging of my Tesla would push me to Tier 2 Off Peak rates quickly while I would be stuck getting Tier 1 Credits for the majority of the month... especially in winter months. According to the models I have made that would be brutal for me. So make sure that doesn't bite you in the rear as well.

@ Petra - Could you dumb down the whole baseline credit explanation? I am sorry but I am still a little confused... the way SCE explained it to me was I'd basically get a credit every month. Living in Huntington Beach I was told my baseline is 170 kWh... so I would expect a credit of 17 bucks every bill. Was SCE totally wrong?

Is that correct?
I just received another call from SCE's TOU/NEM folks and they have confirmed that, yes, the Baseline Allocation Credit should work in a <$0 capacity. So, yes, in your example you would end up with a tracked charge of -$56.95 for the billing period.

@ Petra - Could you dumb down the whole baseline credit explanation? I am sorry but I am still a little confused... the way SCE explained it to me was I'd basically get a credit every month. Living in Huntington Beach I was told my baseline is 170 kWh... so I would expect a credit of 17 bucks every bill. Was SCE totally wrong?
Well, it depends... Are you a net metered customer (solar)? If so, then you'll receive the $17 credit assuming that your net power usage was equal to or greater than 170kWh for the given billing period. If your net usage was less than 170kWh but greater than 0kWh, then you'd receive a credit equal to $0.10/kWh above 0kWh up to 170kWh. If your net usage for a billing period happens to be negative (you produced more power than you used), then you would receive a charge instead of a credit. Make sense?

I've found this thread while investigating the SCE TOU tariffs to support some modeling work in another forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, misclicked, no edit. Anyway, I can provide a link to the forum if you'd like, but we have struggled a bit with understanding how the baseline allocation works with TOU-D-T. It seems straightforward enough if the usage is all net consumption. 20% consumption in peak and 80% off-peak means the baseline allocation is divided up 20/80. What if the peak period is net generation (with solar)? Does 100% of the baseline allocation go to off-peak, and all peak generation get counted at level I rates?

Also, this sentence in the tariff also has some confusing implications in net metering:

Baseline allowance for distribution to TOU periods is the minimum of the standard allocation as set forth in Preliminary Statement, Part H, or total metered kWh for the billing cycle

So if the total metered consumption is less than the baseline allocation, the lower value is used. Let's say total consumption in a month looks like this:

Baseline Allocation per Prelim Statement, part H: 400 kWh
Peak consumption: -100 kWh
Off-peak consumption: 300 kWh

The total metered kWh for the billing cycle would be only 200 kWh, which suggests that the off-peak will be charged 260 kWh at level 1 (130% of 200), and 40 kWh at level 2. This can't be right, can it?