Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puget Sound Energy (PSE) - time-of-use pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that for EVs, it calculates your payment based on the amount of time the system is curtailing your charging, combined with the charge rate of your setup. If they curtail you for two hours on an 11 kW home charging setup (like mine), expect payment for 22 kWh ($11). Perhaps its more complex than that.

I think that seems too easy.

The same system exists today, they just Added EV chargers/cars as devices they can "control".
Until now my only device was my Nest thermostats. And at surge time, they would show me a message on it that would alert me, and lower my temperature.

I expect them to do the same with my car.
-Ask the car to not charge.
- compare HOUSE usage from last 4 days (out of 5)
- delta in KWH is credited to your account.

This is my dashboard until now
1710353674983.png

Reactions: Spaghett
One thing I was curious about was what permissions Optiwatt (who handles the charging management on behalf of PSE) would require. The available permissions are:

1710611281949.png

I originally tried just "Charging Management", but it looks like Optiwatt at least wants "Charging Management" and "Vehicle Information".

1710611410181.png

I'm not a huge fan of sharing that information (especially since it includes location), but I'll tolerate it at least long enough to get the $100. 😉

Also, I got a reply from PSE Flex on how they calculate things:

For the PSE Flex EV program we look at your average kilowatt-hour usage from the charger during the time of the Flex event. We use your average kilowatt usage during that time of day as a baseline and compare it to your energy usage during a Flex event. If we see that you use less kilowatts during the Flex event compared to your baseline usage then you are rewarded accordingly ($0.50 per Kilowatt- hour) during the Flex event.

Thanks from following up with them.

So now I am seeing something strange. Flex events normally pay back $1 per KWH saved (flex event faq).

So, if they are going to monitor the charger/car and only pay $.50, then we are better off NOT registering our car (after we get the $100 :) ) and use the "regular savings" rate of $1 per kwh. The EV charging will be mingled with everything else, at $1 per kwh.

Unless they are going to create special events ONLY for EVs, which actually would make sense because this is definitively a high usage of electricity.

I'll see the first events. You would think they thought of all of this, but no. Looks like it is run by interns who can't yet think things through.

Actually it make sense now that you mention it.

They have to map your usage to detect if you charge less. It is probably less an issue on a connected charger.
Also, not sure how much of an issue is the wake up. It doesn't do much except a couple of calls, no ?

All the peeps with external tesla apps like TeslaFi do that 10x more.

But yeah, I don't love it, so Optiwhat will lose my car after I card my gift card.

You should be glad you're not in Pacific Gouge & Extort land in California.

EV2-A (see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf) is the EV TOU plan for those w/o a separate meter for their EVSE.

Currently, off-peak is 34.578 cents per kWh. Rest of day is 51.4 to 65.8 cents per kWh depending on when.
Well yes, that's Cali and they have their own problems no doubt. There is zero reason anyone in King County should ever be paying rates that high right now though imo. It amazes how electric rates seem to correlate more with cost of housing and taxes in that particular area than they do with any actual maintenance or delivery costs. Many PUDs in WA still have flat rates under $.10/kWh (and not just like Chelan County which is still <$.05 IIRC). Sadly SnoPUD isn't one of them anymore but it's still barely over the "off-peak" rate posted here.

That is (almost) the case.

It is 0.08/kwh at these hours.

I think the price is confusing because usually I feel that you look for the cheap slot in your day when you have some TOU program. Here, you actually have the look for the high peak. Again 2/3 of the day is low peak