Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Southern California edison time of use rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm...

We switched to SCE's TOU-B-D rate https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/residential/rates/Time-Of-Use-Residential-Rate-Plans when we got our 2015 Tesla P85D with dual 40A onboard chargers 13 months ago. Our SCE Time Of Use pricing is:
TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_wd.gif

TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_we.gif

We charge our Tesla at 60A / 240V starting at 10:00 PM nightly using our 80A Tesla High Power Wall Charger. This typically completes the recharge of our Tesla's 85kWh battery to 90% full in under 5 hours... All at SCE's Super Off Peak 13¢ to 14¢ / kWh rate and well before the 8:00 AM start of the slightly higher 16¢ to 17¢ / kWh Off Peak Rate.

Obviously if you're unable to charge during the lowest Super Off-Peak rates, you should consider getting a 240V charger like an eMotorWerks JuiceBox which would significantly reduce your charge time. However since the kWh rate only goes up 3¢ / kWh from Super Off-Peak to Off-Peak, your payback might not justify the cost of a 240V charger including installation.

Also, consider SCE's Summer Discount Plan https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/residential/rebates-savings/summer-discount-plan if you have central AC since this can significantly lower your summer electric bill. Our monthly SCE bill for 700kWh drops $125 to $150 a month each summer for SCE's ability to turn our AC units off during Demand Response events... Typically a couple of hours between 2:00 pM and 8:00 PM on 6 to 10 days a year.

If SCE's Summer Discount Plan is too onerous, you could also earn credit$ from other Demand Response Providers simply by allowing them to remotely cycle your EV charging (and other devices connected via their Smart Switches & Thermostats) OFF during SCE Demand Response events:
Note however that effective May 1st SCE customers can only be enrolled in ONE Demand Response Program at a time... So check out SCE, eMotorWerks and OhmConnect and pick the one which would benefit you the most.

If you do decide to buy products or enroll in eMotorWerks or OhmConnect rewards programs, please let them know I referred you since you'll probably get their lower referral New Customer promotions... and both companies have been very helpful lowering my SCE bill through their hardware & business services. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Good luck!

Don

I may be being selfish on this regard, but allowing the utility to cycle (disable!) charging on my EV at their desire would not be acceptable to me. It's not like cycling the home Air Conditioning, where it might get a bit warmer for a bit. Messing with the charging of my car could leave me without sufficient charge to get to where I need to go, especially in the unusual case where I'm charging in the afternoon. I'd also be wary of something simply yanking power without disconnecting the car first. Yes, it should be fine, but that's a very expensive bit of hardware they're messing with.

I may be being selfish on this regard, but allowing the utility to cycle (disable!) charging on my EV at their desire would not be acceptable to me. It's not like cycling the home Air Conditioning, where it might get a bit warmer for a bit. Messing with the charging of my car could leave me without sufficient charge to get to where I need to go, especially in the unusual case where I'm charging in the afternoon. I'd also be wary of something simply yanking power without disconnecting the car first. Yes, it should be fine, but that's a very expensive bit of hardware they're messing with.

SCE's Summer Discount Plan does NOT have any ability to cycle off anything but your AC units.

OhmConnect DOES have the ability to cycle off devices YOU add to their system... but you can Opt-Out of their cycling on event-by-event basis.

eMotorWerks JuiceNet Rewards allows you to override their system’s recommendations at any time, for any reason.

When OhmConnect cycled off our Tesla P85D's charging, they did is using our Tesla logon which is the same as you turning off your charging from your Tesla iOS or Android app. They didn't disconnect power to our Tesla AT ALL.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
SCE's Summer Discount Plan does NOT have any ability to cycle off anything but your AC units.

OhmConnect DOES have the ability to cycle off devices YOU add to their system... but you can Opt-Out of their cycling on event-by-event basis.

eMotorWerks JuiceNet Rewards allows you to override their system’s recommendations at any time, for any reason.

When OhmConnect cycled off our Tesla P85D's charging, they did is using our Tesla logon which is the same as you turning off your charging from your Tesla iOS or Android app. They didn't disconnect power to our Tesla AT ALL.
Ah, cool. Good to hear they thought this through. And thanks for clarifying; I'm on PG&E, so didn't have the data.

Did the SCE rates change recently? I swear the Super Off Peak was 12c/kWh and, based on the charts on the previous page and the SCE site, it seems like it's either 14c or 13c. I'm really confused.

I thought the exact same thing when I looked the current SCE TOU-D-B and TOU-EV-1 rates up to post a previous response in this question. SCE's Super-Off Peak Rate WAS 11¢ / kWh... and so was their TOU-EV-1 Off Peak rate which was the rate our Tesla was being charged on SCE's PEV Pilot Phase 1 until that program expired last month after 12 months.

I just checked and SCE's TOU-EV-1 Off=Peak rate seems to have increased too:

13.69¢ Summer (June 1 to Sept 30)
13.77¢ Winter

The advantages of being on SCE's TOU-EV-1 rate during our 12-month PEV Pilot Phase 1 were:
  1. definitive electric usage for our Tesla... vs. its usage being mixed in with our household usage
  2. longer Off-Peak charging hours: 9:00 PM to12:00 noon vs. 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM for TOU-D-B Super Off-Peak
... but there was little CO$T savings being on TOU-EV-1 vs. TOU-D-B since we always charged during the lowest rate window.

Best part of being a "crash test dummy" as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Phase 1 program was getting an eMotorWerks Wattbox 200 digital "submeter" installed on our Tesla HPWC supply wire almost for free which provided detailed data on our Tesla charging via both a web portal and a their cool iOS app:

Attachments

• IMG_3908.PNG
    IMG_3908.PNG
    422.8 KB · Views: 78
I thought the exact same thing when I looked the current SCE TOU-D-B and TOU-EV-1 rates up to post a previous response in this question. SCE's Super-Off Peak Rate WAS 11¢ / kWh... and so was their TOU-EV-1 Off Peak rate which was the rate our Tesla was being charged on SCE's PEV Pilot Phase 1 until that program expired last month after 12 months.

I just checked and SCE's TOU-EV-1 Off=Peak rate seems to have increased too:

13.69¢ Summer (June 1 to Sept 30)
13.77¢ Winter

The advantages of being on SCE's TOU-EV-1 rate during our 12-month PEV Pilot Phase 1 were:
  1. definitive electric usage for our Tesla... vs. its usage being mixed in with our household usage
  2. longer Off-Peak charging hours: 9:00 PM to12:00 noon vs. 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM for TOU-D-B Super Off-Peak
... but there was little CO$T savings being on TOU-EV-1 vs. TOU-D-B since we always charged during the lowest rate window.

Best part of being a "crash test dummy" as part of SCE's PEV Pilot Phase 1 program was getting an eMotorWerks Wattbox 200 digital "submeter" installed on our Tesla HPWC supply wire almost for free which provided detailed data on our Tesla charging via both a web portal and a their cool iOS app:
Yep, SCE bumped their rates effectively by 11-12%. In the interim between the EV-Submeter Pilot phases, I'm going to switch to TOU-D-B (we've got solar). Actually, on that plan, there is no real advantage of the submeter.

There should be preferential rates for EV-exclusive metered circuits. And why is SCE way more costly than PG&E (which is not known for being consumer friendly)? I guess someone has to pay for the screwup at San Onofre, but it shouldn't be ratepayers.

Yep, SCE bumped their rates effectively by 11-12%. In the interim between the EV-Submeter Pilot phases, I'm going to switch to TOU-D-B (we've got solar). Actually, on that plan, there is no real advantage of the submeter.
I haven't been able to justify adding solar since our monthly SCE bills only run $50 to $75 in the summer (because of Summer Discount Plan) and $175 to $225 in the winter for 700 kWh monthly usage. I'd love to see your solar system build and get your advice... especially before NEM #1 is gone. PM me if you'd like to go offline with this info.

Yes for EV users who only charge between 10:00 PM and 8:00 AM there really isn't any significant cost savings between SCE'S TOU-D-B and TOU-EV-1 rate plans. Only benefit of TOU-EV-1 sub-metering was being able to get our exact Tesla EV kWh usage and cost... PLUS extended charging hours (9:00 PM to 10:00 PM + 8:00 AM to 12:00 noon on TOU-EV-1). We're hoping PEV Pilot Phase 2 offers "digital" sub-metering again for those reasons, hopefully using our existing eMotorWerks WattBox 200.