Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal Edison "TOU-D-PRIME" Super Off Peak - How to take advantage of the lower rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Southern California Edison customers who have signed up for Time of Use -D- PRIME rates can take advantage of Super Off-Peak rates October 1 thru May 31 from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Those with EV's may want to look into signing up for TOU-D-Prime.

My car is often gone during the day returning home at 1:30pm or later. Is there a way to tell my car to stop charging at 3:59pm to avoid the higher rates?

Currently, I have to manually stop charging at 3:59 or sooner.

1696364984015.png

I think you mean 4:00am. It doesn't stop charging at 4:00am unless it's reached the set limit.
Your Tesla Model Y can be set to use Scheduled Departure - Charging (this would be set instead of Scheduled Charging.

With Scheduled Charging you specify when charging should start and the Tesla Model Y will start charging at the desired time and charge until the charge level limit is reached or until you manually stop the charging session.

With Scheduled Departure Charging you enter the desired departure time (this can be the ending time of your Off-Peak Rate window, i.e. 3:59 p.m.) and charging will always complete prior to the end of the Off-Peak Rate period.

Scheduled Departure Charging may not function as desired when using Level 1 charging as the time required to charge the Tesla Model Y to the desired charge level may exceed the allowed window.

Scheduled Departure - Charging may not function correctly if the Off-Peak Rate window crosses over the meridian time (12:00). You would have to experiment.

Note Scheduled Departure - Charging is a separate setting from Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning (preconditions the passenger cabin, battery in cold weather.)

You might have an easier/better experience if you use one of the 3rd party Tesla energy apps such as Teslafi, Tessie, Stats App for Tesla or Teslamate. Some of the 3rd party apps have the ability to set multiple charging windows within a 24 hour period.

Most recently, if you are an iPhone user you can now use iOS Shortcuts to Start and Stop Charging your Tesla vehicle. You could create a custom iOS shortcut so that your Tesla Model Y would only charge during the Off-Off-Peak period.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I think you mean 4:00am. It doesn't stop charging at 4:00am unless it's reached the set limit.

I think one of the things that was recently enabled for Gen 3 wall connectors, was the ability to schedule both start and stop times.

Previously, there was no "Tesla" way to schedule a charge to stop. You could schedule one to start, or say when you want one to finish, but scheduled departure (when you want it to finish) has always seemed finicky, with people always posting "why didnt my car....."

I think the only "Tesla" way is with a wall connector and the new scheduling feature (if its available). Otherwise, you are looking at third party tools I think. I dont use third party tools since I dont want to give my tesla token to another company, but many people happily use various ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think one of the things that was recently enabled for Gen 3 wall connectors, was the ability to schedule both start and stop times.

Previously, there was no "Tesla" way to schedule a charge to stop. You could schedule one to start, or say when you want one to finish, but scheduled departure (when you want it to finish) has always seemed finicky, with people always posting "why didnt my car....."

I think the only "Tesla" way is with a wall connector and the new scheduling feature (if its available). Otherwise, you are looking at third party tools I think. I dont use third party tools since I dont want to give my tesla token to another company, but many people happily use various ones.
Okay thanks. I hadn’t seen a reason to log-in to my Tesla Wall Charger until now.

Upvote 0
Southern California Edison customers who have signed up for Time of Use -D- PRIME rates can take advantage of Super Off-Peak rates October 1 thru May 31 from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Those with EV's may want to look into signing up for TOU-D-Prime.

My car is often gone during the day returning home at 1:30pm or later. Is there a way to tell my car to stop charging at 3:59pm to avoid the higher rates?

View attachment 979345
super off-peak used to be 19 cents. even with that rate, the 4-9pm rate was so ridiculously high that the total bill ended up higher overall than just the grandfathered fixed rates.
at least the SCE online comparison tool didn't lie about it; that also indicated there wasn't a benefit to the TOU program.

YOU CAN SET A CHARGING SCHEDULE IN THE TESLA APP
go to 'schedule'
select 'charge'
set a time

Upvote 0

View attachment 979345
This is not the TOU-D-PRIME plan. There is no baseline amount and separated into 2 categories. You better check the website again and click on the right tab.

Upvote 0
Thats to start charging. It doesnt stop until its reached its set point, which isnt what the OP was asking for.

Thats to start charging. It doesnt stop until its reached its set point, which isnt what the OP was asking for.
in which case he can just set a charge limit that can be reached before his desired cutoff time

Upvote 0
in which case he can just set a charge limit that can be reached before his desired cutoff time
Since I am not much into back and forth arguing online, I will just say that if you read the first post and what the OP was asking for, that does not fit the bill of what they were asking.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
This is not the TOU-D-PRIME plan. There is no baseline amount and separated into 2 categories. You better check the website again and click on the right tab.
I am seeing the same thing. No baseline allowance. The other 2 TOU plans do have a baseline allowance. This is of interest to me as I am on D-Prime and SCE wants us to recertification her Medical Baseline Allowance.
Am I correct in assuming a Medical Baseline allowance offers no benefit under TOU D Prime?

Upvote 0
I am seeing the same thing. No baseline allowance. The other 2 TOU plans do have a baseline allowance. This is of interest to me as I am on D-Prime and SCE wants us to recertification her Medical Baseline Allowance.
Am I correct in assuming a Medical Baseline allowance offers no benefit under TOU D Prime?
The TOU-D-PRIME plan doesn't have a baseline allowance. I know since I am on the TOU-D-PRIME plan. The OP did not click on the right tab as I pointed out in the picture below.

I checked again. Why do you say that?
Because you are not clicking on the right plan. If you click on the link in your post and follow to the 3rd tab you will see that the TOU-D-PRIME there is no baseline amount nonsense. In fact the Super Off peak cost is cheaper than the TOU-D-4-9PM that you quoted in your post.

1696435148901.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because you are not clicking on the right plan. If you click on the link in your post and follow to the 3rd tab you will see that the TOU-D-PRIME there is no baseline amount nonsense. In fact the Super Off peak cost is cheaper than the TOU-D-4-9PM that you quoted in your post.

View attachment 979575
I see what you're saying. I have prime, but I clicked on the wrong tab. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm also on the Tour-D-Prime. I use the free 3rd party Optiwatt app to manage charging so that it only charges when rates are cheapest (in my case between 8am and 4pm and 9pm and 8am during the winter). To do this you have to link your Utility Provider and Utility Plan in the Optiwatt profile. As noted in the Tou-D-Prime winter rates kindly provided in flai54 post, Optiwatt automatically manages the charging so it does not charge when "Mid-Peek" rates are in effect between the hours of 4pm and 9pm (unless I enter a "Trip" on the Optiwatt Calendar which will override this to make sure the vehicle is fully charged at the departure time time). Optiwatt also logs each charging session so I can check and see when the charging starts and stops and estimates the cost for each charging session. Although the app seems to only account for the "Delivery" and does not include "Generation" fees which vary depending upon the rate plan selected by your provider (in my case I basically double the estimate Optiwatt provides to get an better idea of charging costs).

Upvote 0