Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Audi e-tron Sportback EV Coming this Summer, still no compassion with a Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this since it is a good comparison to a Model Y because the e-tron is an SUV. Man, $77400, for only 218 miles and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds? That's with Boost Mode? Even with the tax incentive, you are looking at starting at $70k. The 218 Miles is with 91% battery, but even at 100% it's only 240 miles. This car has a 94kWh battery. Imagine what a LR AWD Model Y will get with that? It will be about 400 miles range, and probably around 4 sec 0-60. Performance Model will get a huge boost too.

Audi e-tron Sportback EV arrives this summer with 218 miles of range - Electrek

I am posting this since it is a good comparison to a Model Y because the e-tron is an SUV. Man, $77400, for only 218 miles and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds? That's with Boost Mode? Even with the tax incentive, you are looking at starting at $70k. The 218 Miles is with 91% battery, but even at 100% it's only 240 miles. This car has a 94kWh battery. Imagine what a LR AWD Model Y will get with that? It will be about 400 miles range, and probably around 4 sec 0-60. Performance Model will get a huge boost too.

Audi e-tron Sportback EV arrives this summer with 218 miles of range - Electrek

Not bad for a early attempt at an EV, plus competition is always good for consumers. Id say in another 3-5 years they will be on par with Tesla when it comes to range.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Not bad for a early attempt at an EV, plus competition is always good for consumers. Id say in another 3-5 years they will be on par with Tesla when it comes to range.
well this is their second attempt right? e-tron first came out 2019. Just saying that's a lot of money for a car. I guess people are paying for the luxury interior. The 77400 is just starting price, can't imagine how much it is if more options are added.

After an extended test drive in the e-tron SUV, I was pretty disappointed in Audi's initial interpretation of a BEV.

This is some of the feedback I sent to Audi USA:

• Trying to be a regular car: For so much of our ride I kept on thinking about the things that were brought in from internal combustion cars that could be thrown away. Why do we need 4 driving modes, why do we need to make a sound like a gas car, why do we need 3 button pushes to stop and turn off the car. When building an EV, you can remove some of the traditional features, but seems like Audi was trying really hard to make those fit in.
  • Performance: I'll be blunt here. If it needs to bite in to the current competition, it needs to be quicker. The Dynamic mode did nothing for me and stepping on the pedal seemed like it was holding back some power. I'm not expecting P100DL quick here, but I was expecting quicker than an SQ5, somewhere between 4.5 and 5 second range. There maybe a quicker sport model in the future, but why? This is the present, this is what matters. I'm not sure why the engineers are holding back on the power output. It has a giant battery, more than enough to power some larger motors.
  • Interface: Seems like this was needlessly over engineered and mostly it was brought in from existing vehicles to fit the e-tron. I really disliked the haptic-feedback-force-touch screen. There are a billion people in the world using a smartphone; just adapt to how a typical smartphone behaves. The number of controls was overwhelming and mostly unnecessary. Maybe this is something people will get used to, but initial impressions were not great.
  • Differentiation (Probably the most important thing): There was not one thing we could think of during our drive back home that made us think "that is why we should choose this car" and that is a problem. This is a problem. I'm sure Audi has the capability to do this, but why are they holding back. It's 2019, you have to knock it out of the park. I know at least 10 other EV owners in friends and family, and when they ask for opinions from my test drive, I don't have a killer feature that I can take back to them
  • Regen: Your initial customers will most likely be folks coming from other EVs who are used to not using brakes often . I tried multiple things, but for some reason the regen is barely existent. There is probably some setting that is controlling this, but again, why? It appears like the reason is to make the transition from ICE to EVs smoother, but this goes back to my point about Differentiation. People want the changes.
  • Others:
    • Vehicle feels quite heavy, seems like it is heavy?
    • Not sure about the design. Nothing inspiring or cool, its not bad though.
    • Price: I can get an iPace which is quicker for less, Model X which goes farther and quicker for about the same price(with same options), so where is the advantage here?

Hope they fix these and the range soon

I would pay an extra $15K for a decent interior, a properly assembled vehicle, and the service/customer support.
True, i went to the audi site and looked at the pictures, the interior definitely looks very nice compared to the Model Y. They even have a massage option for the seats, but i think Tesla also has a lot of advantage over the etron as well. FSD, range, speed, and over the air update. Also, you are looking at it costing at least 20 to 30k more. With that, i can buy a second car. haha.

Traded my Audi A7 for my Tesla. Significant other still has their Audi and looking to get another, unfortunately.

Audi either needs to bring the pricing down, or add more value and raise the price.

Right now they charge too much, and give you too little. It's like they're intentionally not trying.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Audi offers inferior tech, cost with superior build, fit, finish
Hey at least we have EV choices

Yep. I would go back to Audi. Esp since they are short walk from my house and are very attentive to any needs.

But yeah they need to really up their tech and lower their pricing. How about a Q3 EV, not Q3 hybrid.

What I don't get is Audi took a A7 modified for FSD from like San Fran to Vegas many years ago. But still not in production cars.

I have actually been looking at the current e-tron, while I wait for my Y. The sticker price on the etron can be shocking, but that is just the sticker price. The actual price you would pay, or base the lease off of, is a good deal less than the sticker price. So much so, a loaded etron Prestige ends up being around the same as the Y PUP with white interior...and less than a Y PUP with FSD. I really like the interior of the etron, but the range is the biggest thing holding me back. I can't comment on the tech side, as I haven't had enough wheel time with either to comment on that...but I'm sure Tesla is way ahead on that front. I do like the parking camera functionality on etron, which I don't think the Y is able to do. etron has a charging port on each side of the vehicle, which is nice, but it's not a make or break feature to me.

I have actually been looking at the current e-tron, while I wait for my Y. The sticker price on the etron can be shocking, but that is just the sticker price. The actual price you would pay, or base the lease off of, is a good deal less than the sticker price. So much so, a loaded etron Prestige ends up being around the same as the Y PUP with white interior...and less than a Y PUP with FSD. I really like the interior of the etron, but the range is the biggest thing holding me back. I can't comment on the tech side, as I haven't had enough wheel time with either to comment on that...but I'm sure Tesla is way ahead on that front. I do like the parking camera functionality on etron, which I don't think the Y is able to do. etron has a charging port on each side of the vehicle, which is nice, but it's not a make or break feature to me.

IIRC the US production version has only one charge port which is driver's side. It has a lot more features available than the Teslas including most the common luxury features; name it and it is probably available. It even has things the Jaguar doesn't. The suspension is very good, the steering is sterile but accurate, and the interior noise level is in a whole difference class. It comes with a spare, a 14-50 EVSE, and is available with a trailer hitch. It is every bit as goofy looking in real life as it in pictures. But it's roomy, comfy, quiet, and has all the goodies including massage. I still bought the MX. The MX is quicker, has more cargo capacity, a higher tow rating, and longer range.

"Slightly"... funny!

Yes, I didn't consider the charging network. I used it so rarely since I got an S that this won't be a problem in my case. I can see how there are some who roadtrip a lot or have out of town commutes where this will be very restrictive.

I would have to rent a car several times a year if I had anything other than a Tesla...and some of the "local' winter drives would be iffy as well.

Here is a comparison video of the etron and model Y. It's not the sportback version, but still good comparison. He did not take the interior build quality in consideration, which of course the etron will be the model Y. I think it's a pretty fair comparison.