Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y One Year Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first EV I’ve ever owned and I thought I’d post this review aimed primarily at those who are considering buying a Model Y. I could drone on with more detail, but these are the things that are important to me. Obviously, this is just one person’s opinion based on their own experience. Other owners may feel differently.

DRIVING

I absolutely LOVE driving this car. Acceleration and braking is unbelievably smooth once you learn how to adjust to one pedal driving with regenerative braking. As expected, car is very quiet and there is never any feeling of engine strain. In fact, driving an ICE car now feels like I’m in some antiquated, outdated contraption from the last century. Autopilot, which comes standard, works very well on limited access highways. Car will hold its lane using Autosteer feature and Tesla’s Traffic Aware Cruise Control will adjust your speed to the car in front even slowing to a full stop if needed. This makes bumper to bumper traffic MUCH less stressful (on one road trip, my wife fell asleep using this feature). Occasionally the car will brake and accelerate more aggressively than I would in this situation, but most of the time it works very smoothly, mimicking what I would do driving manually. Some might complain that it doesn’t follow the car in front as closely (distance is adjustable) as it should and allows people to cut in front of you, but it’s worked fine for me.

To me, the full self driving option is not worth the money. I got the subscription for the first two months but decided I didn’t need it for two reasons. First, FSD is a misnomer as it does NOT work on city streets (which Tesla has been saying is “coming soon” for years) only on limited access highways. When programmed, the car as it approaches a slower car in front of you will check the lane for clearance, activate the turn signal, and change lanes. It will also navigate you to your programmed exit, but once it gets you to the exit lane you’re on your own from there. Using Autosteer (which comes standard) if you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and move over? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Second, a big reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces which is necessary. Why Tesla didn’t put the charge port in the front of the car to prevent this makes no sense to me?? While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s VERY slow. I discovered that the backup camera is so good that you don’t even need Autopark. The camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you visually and audibly when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! I’ve read where Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors in new models in favor of Teslavision which accomplishes this using video only. I think this is a BIG mistake, unless they can program it to work as well as the sensors. It would be a dealbreaker for me without this feature as this car has a wide wheelbase and it’s easy to misjudge your distances. The sensors work great.

Of course, not everything about the car is to my liking. Ride could be a little smoother. It’s great on smooth roads, not so much on bumpy ones. Car handles and rides more like a sports car than an SUV. Phantom braking (where the car slows for no apparent reason) is an issue but it has happened very rarely, maybe 4-5 times in the year I’ve owned it and only when using Autopilot. Icons and text on the touchscreen are too small to be read easily while driving. Warning messages are a big problem in that they are too small to read and don’t stay displayed long enough. I wish Tesla would reprogram them using a MUCH larger font. And, of course, I’m not too happy about the big price drop after I bought it so buyers could qualify for the tax credit. But this isn’t really that big of an issue since I tend to keep a car for a long time (8-10 years) so it really won’t affect me.

RANGE

Forget about getting the EPA estimated range. If you’re like most drivers, you won’t achieve that unless you always drive on level roads with no adverse weather conditions, aren’t heavily loaded, and never exceed the speed limit. For me it’s been around 80% of the listed range but that’s not a problem. Listed range is 330 miles for the long range model, but I get about 250-260 which is plenty enough for my needs. On road trips, that’s roughly 3.5 hours of driving before charging, which is sufficient for me and allows a needed break. In real world usage, you’ll generally be fluctuating between 20-80% of battery level since charging above 80% takes longer even when using the superchargers.

Battery degradation is a thing. As the battery ages, the range decreases. I’ve lost about 5% of range after the first year and a full charge now shows only around 315 miles, which is not uncommon. Tesla warrants the battery for 8 years or 120,000 miles and my understanding is if the battery has degraded more than 35% during this time they will replace it.

CHARGING

I had a level 2 charging outlet installed in my garage (240 volt) and keep the car plugged in when not driving. It charges at a rate of about 30 miles of charging/hour and will fully charge overnight. I keep it charged to 80% and love never having to visit a gas station since I leave every day with a “full tank.”

The Tesla Supercharging Network has been as advertised and it’s the primary reason I bought a Tesla in the first place. I wanted a car that could be used for both road trips and local driving and no other charging network even comes close to Tesla’s in the number of locations and charging bays for fast (level 3) charging. They are spaced about 40-50 miles apart along most of the interstate highways. Charging stops usually take only 20-30 minutes as it’s faster to only charge to about 80% and do it more frequently. On a hypothetical road trip for example, you could stop twice and fully charge for 45-50 minutes each time, or stop three times for 20 minutes each. Obviously, the three stop option requires less charging time overall. Tesla’s Trip Planner feature works well in this area, showing you where you need to stop, for how long, and how many charging stations are currently available. In the year I’ve had the car, we’ve been on seven road trips covering 16 different states from New York to Florida and have only had to wait in line once for a station (about 10 min.). I realize this may change as more and more cars are sold, but so far so good. At most stops a majority of the bays are empty. My only complaint about the supercharging is the cost. You pay a premium for being able to charge quickly (about 3-4 times what it costs at home).

FUEL ECONOMY

Charging at home is really cheap compared to gasoline, but on road trips not so much. I have put over 20,00 miles on the car in the year with about 40% of that on road trips. I have averaged 274 watt hours/mile (the car’s trip meter will display this on the touchscreen) which means I can travel 3.65 miles/kilowatt hour. I pay an average of 9.6 cents/kilowatt hour on my electric bill (more in the summer, less during the winter. So my fuel cost/mile is 2.6 cents. Current average gas price in my area is $3.28/ gallon and this equates to a little over 124 miles per gallon which is a big savings. On road trips I’ve paid an average of 35 cents/kilowatt hour at superchargers. This equates to 34 miles per gallon on the road. Not a great savings, but it’s still cheaper than gas and you’re not polluting the environment.

UPDATES

Tesla is constantly updating the software, adding new features and improvements to the user interface. There have been 10-12 updates in the year I’ve owned the car. To me, this is a great feature which means you aren’t locked in to what’s available when you buy the car and don’t have to buy a newer model to get the latest improvements. I’ve been very happy with most of the changes they’ve made which make it easier to operate the vehicle.

RELIABILITY

In the year I’ve owned the car, I’ve had absolutely NOTHING go wrong with it. Zip, zero, nada! The ONLY thing I’ve done is to rotate the tires every 6,500 miles. I realize other people have had some needed repairs and you will find many complaints on this website. I think part of this is the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” theory. People who have problems post about it. Those who have had no issues with the car don’t post about how great it’s been.

SUMMARY

After one year, based on my experience the car has exceeded my expectations. Is it perfect? Of course not. Would I buy another one? Definitely!

0_Tesla_Model_Y_1.jpg

"0 Tesla Model Y 1" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Great real-world review, thanks for taking the time to write it! I’m probably going to pull the trigger on one within a couple of months and it’s helpful to hear about these experiences.

Every time I read something like this I come away with more solid expectations, and one concern: the ride quality of the MYP. I keep hearing about it, but I’ve never been able to drive one because our Tesla center doesn’t have the Performance available for test drives. I drove a LR and its ride was already not as good over small broken surfaces as my BMW 340i M-sport with low-profile tires. I’m kind of just expecting I’m going to probably have to get smaller/lighter 20” wheels and sell the UberTurbines.

Reactions: cdub
Great real-world review, thanks for taking the time to write it! I’m probably going to pull the trigger on one within a couple of months and it’s helpful to hear about these experiences.

Every time I read something like this I come away with more solid expectations, and one concern: the ride quality of the MYP. I keep hearing about it, but I’ve never been able to drive one because our Tesla center doesn’t have the Performance available for test drives. I drove a LR and its ride was already not as good over small broken surfaces as my BMW 340i M-sport with low-profile tires. I’m kind of just expecting I’m going to probably have to get smaller/lighter 20” wheels and sell the UberTurbines.
Best advice is try not to overthink forum complaints as not everyone visits a forum to share positive experiences. Rather the opposite. The suspension is very good but true not a comparison to “other” cars like you BMW as it does weight Twice as much so common sense should be applied.

Reactions: Dennisis
"This makes bumper to bumper traffic MUCH less stressful (on one road trip, my wife fell asleep using this feature). Occasionally the car will brake and accelerate more aggressively than I would in this situation, but most of the time it works very smoothly, mimicking what I would do driving manually."

This has not been my experience, autopilot in stop and go/bumper to bumper traffic is not smooth. It accelerates too slow and brakes too late.

Reactions: baguette
Very fair review. As Yelobird mentioned, people naturally take the time to complain when they aren't happy with something and rarely take the time to praise when all is fine so negative reviews are over represented.

It's not a perfect car but between my previous M3 and now my MY I've been driving these for 5 years now and would never go back to an ICE vehicle. I plan to keep this one until a more luxurious option is available with the same charging network availability and reliability, drivetrain, and software package. Which probably means I'll be driving my MY for at least a few more years! But that's OK, it's very inexpensive to own so I'm saving money in the interim :).

Icons and text on the touchscreen are too small to be read easily while driving. Warning messages are a big problem in that they are too small to read and don’t stay displayed long enough. I wish Tesla would reprogram them using a MUCH larger font.

I thought Tesla added a Text Size feature with the 2023.12.1 update so you can now choose a larger font in the Display settings.

Nice writeup OP!

Pretty much how I feel after 3 years. theres no other car I rather be in, right now. Until I see or test one, tesla will continue selling liked pancake. Even tho they need to work on customer service. Tesla is the only one that can get away with this. Tesla and apple! Lol

Reactions: KauaiGlenn
This is the first EV I’ve ever owned and I thought I’d post this review aimed primarily at those who are considering buying a Model Y. I could drone on with more detail, but these are the things that are important to me. Obviously, this is just one person’s opinion based on their own experience. Other owners may feel differently.

DRIVING

I absolutely LOVE driving this car. Acceleration and braking is unbelievably smooth once you learn how to adjust to one pedal driving with regenerative braking. As expected, car is very quiet and there is never any feeling of engine strain. In fact, driving an ICE car now feels like I’m in some antiquated, outdated contraption from the last century. Autopilot, which comes standard, works very well on limited access highways. Car will hold its lane using Autosteer feature and Tesla’s Traffic Aware Cruise Control will adjust your speed to the car in front even slowing to a full stop if needed. This makes bumper to bumper traffic MUCH less stressful (on one road trip, my wife fell asleep using this feature). Occasionally the car will brake and accelerate more aggressively than I would in this situation, but most of the time it works very smoothly, mimicking what I would do driving manually. Some might complain that it doesn’t follow the car in front as closely (distance is adjustable) as it should and allows people to cut in front of you, but it’s worked fine for me.

To me, the full self driving option is not worth the money. I got the subscription for the first two months but decided I didn’t need it for two reasons. First, FSD is a misnomer as it does NOT work on city streets (which Tesla has been saying is “coming soon” for years) only on limited access highways. When programmed, the car as it approaches a slower car in front of you will check the lane for clearance, activate the turn signal, and change lanes. It will also navigate you to your programmed exit, but once it gets you to the exit lane you’re on your own from there. Using Autosteer (which comes standard) if you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and move over? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Second, a big reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces which is necessary. Why Tesla didn’t put the charge port in the front of the car to prevent this makes no sense to me?? While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s VERY slow. I discovered that the backup camera is so good that you don’t even need Autopark. The camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you visually and audibly when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! I’ve read where Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors in new models in favor of Teslavision which accomplishes this using video only. I think this is a BIG mistake, unless they can program it to work as well as the sensors. It would be a dealbreaker for me without this feature as this car has a wide wheelbase and it’s easy to misjudge your distances. The sensors work great.

Of course, not everything about the car is to my liking. Ride could be a little smoother. It’s great on smooth roads, not so much on bumpy ones. Car handles and rides more like a sports car than an SUV. Phantom braking (where the car slows for no apparent reason) is an issue but it has happened very rarely, maybe 4-5 times in the year I’ve owned it and only when using Autopilot. Icons and text on the touchscreen are too small to be read easily while driving. Warning messages are a big problem in that they are too small to read and don’t stay displayed long enough. I wish Tesla would reprogram them using a MUCH larger font. And, of course, I’m not too happy about the big price drop after I bought it so buyers could qualify for the tax credit. But this isn’t really that big of an issue since I tend to keep a car for a long time (8-10 years) so it really won’t affect me.

RANGE

Forget about getting the EPA estimated range. If you’re like most drivers, you won’t achieve that unless you always drive on level roads with no adverse weather conditions, aren’t heavily loaded, and never exceed the speed limit. For me it’s been around 80% of the listed range but that’s not a problem. Listed range is 330 miles for the long range model, but I get about 250-260 which is plenty enough for my needs. On road trips, that’s roughly 3.5 hours of driving before charging, which is sufficient for me and allows a needed break. In real world usage, you’ll generally be fluctuating between 20-80% of battery level since charging above 80% takes longer even when using the superchargers.

Battery degradation is a thing. As the battery ages, the range decreases. I’ve lost about 5% of range after the first year and a full charge now shows only around 315 miles, which is not uncommon. Tesla warrants the battery for 8 years or 120,000 miles and my understanding is if the battery has degraded more than 35% during this time they will replace it.

CHARGING

I had a level 2 charging outlet installed in my garage (240 volt) and keep the car plugged in when not driving. It charges at a rate of about 30 miles of charging/hour and will fully charge overnight. I keep it charged to 80% and love never having to visit a gas station since I leave every day with a “full tank.”

The Tesla Supercharging Network has been as advertised and it’s the primary reason I bought a Tesla in the first place. I wanted a car that could be used for both road trips and local driving and no other charging network even comes close to Tesla’s in the number of locations and charging bays for fast (level 3) charging. They are spaced about 40-50 miles apart along most of the interstate highways. Charging stops usually take only 20-30 minutes as it’s faster to only charge to about 80% and do it more frequently. On a hypothetical road trip for example, you could stop twice and fully charge for 45-50 minutes each time, or stop three times for 20 minutes each. Obviously, the three stop option requires less charging time overall. Tesla’s Trip Planner feature works well in this area, showing you where you need to stop, for how long, and how many charging stations are currently available. In the year I’ve had the car, we’ve been on seven road trips covering 16 different states from New York to Florida and have only had to wait in line once for a station (about 10 min.). I realize this may change as more and more cars are sold, but so far so good. At most stops a majority of the bays are empty. My only complaint about the supercharging is the cost. You pay a premium for being able to charge quickly (about 3-4 times what it costs at home).

FUEL ECONOMY

Charging at home is really cheap compared to gasoline, but on road trips not so much. I have put over 20,00 miles on the car in the year with about 40% of that on road trips. I have averaged 274 watt hours/mile (the car’s trip meter will display this on the touchscreen) which means I can travel 3.65 miles/kilowatt hour. I pay an average of 9.6 cents/kilowatt hour on my electric bill (more in the summer, less during the winter. So my fuel cost/mile is 2.6 cents. Current average gas price in my area is $3.28/ gallon and this equates to a little over 124 miles per gallon which is a big savings. On road trips I’ve paid an average of 35 cents/kilowatt hour at superchargers. This equates to 34 miles per gallon on the road. Not a great savings, but it’s still cheaper than gas and you’re not polluting the environment.

UPDATES

Tesla is constantly updating the software, adding new features and improvements to the user interface. There have been 10-12 updates in the year I’ve owned the car. To me, this is a great feature which means you aren’t locked in to what’s available when you buy the car and don’t have to buy a newer model to get the latest improvements. I’ve been very happy with most of the changes they’ve made which make it easier to operate the vehicle.

RELIABILITY

In the year I’ve owned the car, I’ve had absolutely NOTHING go wrong with it. Zip, zero, nada! The ONLY thing I’ve done is to rotate the tires every 6,500 miles. I realize other people have had some needed repairs and you will find many complaints on this website. I think part of this is the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” theory. People who have problems post about it. Those who have had no issues with the car don’t post about how great it’s been.

SUMMARY

After one year, based on my experience the car has exceeded my expectations. Is it perfect? Of course not. Would I buy another one? Definitely!

View attachment 958470
Glad to have an unbiased review, thank you!

This is my 2nd EV. I had a 2016 Nissan LEAF. Very happy that went back to the dealer after our lease was up, simply due to the lack of infrastructure.

I have owned my Model 3 for 3 years and 8 months. I have loved every single minute of it! I oversee 5 campgrounds in 3 different states. I tend to drive instead of fly...because 1) I love driving the car, 2) I can stop and stretch, get a bite to eat, bathroom break and such and car it charged when I return, 3) NO GAS STATIONS! I used to have muscle cars and a Ford F350 to pull our camper. Loved the cars but detested fueling. I always managed to wear either diesel or DEF or both when fueling the truck.

We have had a few issues, okay...multiple occurrences of the same issue. My husband is very tall and keeps popping off the trim on the A pillar due to the way he has the driver seat positioned. :( In every instance, Tesla mobile service or the Service Center has not charged us to repair it. The only $ I have spent was a new set of tires, replaced the cabin air filter, a set of wiper blades and windshield washer. All of which are consumables and would be a cost for an ICE vehicle. It would have been way more over the last 3 years for just oil changes in the truck. The truck tires were 2X as expensive as the Pirelli's we have on the Tesla now. All in all, we have been very happy and we are placing an order for a Model Y tonight. Just need a little more room for our toys. :)

Nice write up thank you. Everything you mention is right to the point. I've owned a Model 3 LR (first EV) for 6 weeks now. From order to delivery, absolutely no issues. I come from a long experience with luxury SUV's (BMW and Audi). I wanted to give the EV a try and chose the Model 3, mainly because of pricing, government incentives and Supercharger network (range anxiety...). I was sure that I would find the car "small" and miss my SUV pretty quickly. I was wrong : the interior is spacious, quiet and very comfortable. I do miss sitting higher on the road, but that's it. Rear seating might be a bit tight, but I drive alone most of the time or with a front passenger only. For the rest, one-foot driving is great and performance is outstanding ! I have a lot of fun driving every time I go out. I wish I had switched to Tesla sooner. And I doubt that I will go back to an ICE vehicle anytime soon, if ever.

Reactions: father_of_6
Bookman, thanks for the great detailed review. I’ve had my MYP a bit over 1 year also and agree with just about everything you commented on.
I’m very happy with the car even with some of the minor criticisms which are quite fair.
I’ve been commuting to NYC for the past year from my home in North Jersey. Although I haven’t used the autopilot extensively in bumper to bumper traffic it has worked well when I have used it (I never fell asleep thankfully).

The sound/ entertainment system is very good and gives me everything I need for listening while driving. I often will listen to audio books from my phone and it seamlessly picks up from where I left off as soon as I connect

A couple of other features I want to comment on-

- the voice command system. It is the most accurate, intuitive and flexible I’ve ever had in any car. From operating car functions (my wife has used it to turn on the wipers) and climate/ temperature in the car to searching for songs my granddaughter wants me to play for her it is outstanding! Navigation without even having the address is awesome. I put in a doctors name and the city and it finds and navigates to the office every time. Searching for POIs nearby is also great using voice commands.

- the traffic and navigation system is as good as any maps program or Waze. When I put in a destination the arrival time calculated is always within a couple of minutes of my actual arrival time even with traffic factored in. It’s outstanding and have no need for Waze!

I’m sure more features will continually to be added to make the ownership experience even better.

Reactions: fsb1 and Yelobird
Best advice is try not to overthink forum complaints as not everyone visits a forum to share positive experiences. Rather the opposite. The suspension is very good but true not a comparison to “other” cars like you BMW as it does weight Twice as much so common sense should be applied.
I drove myp for 2 days while service center was fixing some crap build quality issues on my m3p and i hated it. 21 inch wheels are way too rough and suspension is soft. It feels like a fat chick tries to go around corners. Body roll all day long. I drove x3m and it's muchhh better.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird

DRIVING

RANGE

CHARGING

FUEL ECONOMY

UPDATES

RELIABILITY

SUMMARY

View attachment 958470
I too have own the Tesla for about a year; I chose the MYP 😬 EPA total deception; I get in the low 200 miles; Can’t seem to go to far without making pit stops; Can’t rotate the tires, no camber in the rear; Probably get about 25K miles out of them; Outch 😩 21’ are not cheap and last, the sudden price drop after I bought it🤑