Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y One Year Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first EV I’ve ever owned and I thought I’d post this review aimed primarily at those who are considering buying a Model Y. I could drone on with more detail, but these are the things that are important to me. Obviously, this is just one person’s opinion based on their own experience. Other owners may feel differently.

DRIVING

I absolutely LOVE driving this car. Acceleration and braking is unbelievably smooth once you learn how to adjust to one pedal driving with regenerative braking. As expected, car is very quiet and there is never any feeling of engine strain. In fact, driving an ICE car now feels like I’m in some antiquated, outdated contraption from the last century. Autopilot, which comes standard, works very well on limited access highways. Car will hold its lane using Autosteer feature and Tesla’s Traffic Aware Cruise Control will adjust your speed to the car in front even slowing to a full stop if needed. This makes bumper to bumper traffic MUCH less stressful (on one road trip, my wife fell asleep using this feature). Occasionally the car will brake and accelerate more aggressively than I would in this situation, but most of the time it works very smoothly, mimicking what I would do driving manually. Some might complain that it doesn’t follow the car in front as closely (distance is adjustable) as it should and allows people to cut in front of you, but it’s worked fine for me.

To me, the full self driving option is not worth the money. I got the subscription for the first two months but decided I didn’t need it for two reasons. First, FSD is a misnomer as it does NOT work on city streets (which Tesla has been saying is “coming soon” for years) only on limited access highways. When programmed, the car as it approaches a slower car in front of you will check the lane for clearance, activate the turn signal, and change lanes. It will also navigate you to your programmed exit, but once it gets you to the exit lane you’re on your own from there. Using Autosteer (which comes standard) if you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and move over? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Second, a big reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces which is necessary. Why Tesla didn’t put the charge port in the front of the car to prevent this makes no sense to me?? While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s VERY slow. I discovered that the backup camera is so good that you don’t even need Autopark. The camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you visually and audibly when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! I’ve read where Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors in new models in favor of Teslavision which accomplishes this using video only. I think this is a BIG mistake, unless they can program it to work as well as the sensors. It would be a dealbreaker for me without this feature as this car has a wide wheelbase and it’s easy to misjudge your distances. The sensors work great.

Of course, not everything about the car is to my liking. Ride could be a little smoother. It’s great on smooth roads, not so much on bumpy ones. Car handles and rides more like a sports car than an SUV. Phantom braking (where the car slows for no apparent reason) is an issue but it has happened very rarely, maybe 4-5 times in the year I’ve owned it and only when using Autopilot. Icons and text on the touchscreen are too small to be read easily while driving. Warning messages are a big problem in that they are too small to read and don’t stay displayed long enough. I wish Tesla would reprogram them using a MUCH larger font. And, of course, I’m not too happy about the big price drop after I bought it so buyers could qualify for the tax credit. But this isn’t really that big of an issue since I tend to keep a car for a long time (8-10 years) so it really won’t affect me.

RANGE

Forget about getting the EPA estimated range. If you’re like most drivers, you won’t achieve that unless you always drive on level roads with no adverse weather conditions, aren’t heavily loaded, and never exceed the speed limit. For me it’s been around 80% of the listed range but that’s not a problem. Listed range is 330 miles for the long range model, but I get about 250-260 which is plenty enough for my needs. On road trips, that’s roughly 3.5 hours of driving before charging, which is sufficient for me and allows a needed break. In real world usage, you’ll generally be fluctuating between 20-80% of battery level since charging above 80% takes longer even when using the superchargers.

Battery degradation is a thing. As the battery ages, the range decreases. I’ve lost about 5% of range after the first year and a full charge now shows only around 315 miles, which is not uncommon. Tesla warrants the battery for 8 years or 120,000 miles and my understanding is if the battery has degraded more than 35% during this time they will replace it.

CHARGING

I had a level 2 charging outlet installed in my garage (240 volt) and keep the car plugged in when not driving. It charges at a rate of about 30 miles of charging/hour and will fully charge overnight. I keep it charged to 80% and love never having to visit a gas station since I leave every day with a “full tank.”

The Tesla Supercharging Network has been as advertised and it’s the primary reason I bought a Tesla in the first place. I wanted a car that could be used for both road trips and local driving and no other charging network even comes close to Tesla’s in the number of locations and charging bays for fast (level 3) charging. They are spaced about 40-50 miles apart along most of the interstate highways. Charging stops usually take only 20-30 minutes as it’s faster to only charge to about 80% and do it more frequently. On a hypothetical road trip for example, you could stop twice and fully charge for 45-50 minutes each time, or stop three times for 20 minutes each. Obviously, the three stop option requires less charging time overall. Tesla’s Trip Planner feature works well in this area, showing you where you need to stop, for how long, and how many charging stations are currently available. In the year I’ve had the car, we’ve been on seven road trips covering 16 different states from New York to Florida and have only had to wait in line once for a station (about 10 min.). I realize this may change as more and more cars are sold, but so far so good. At most stops a majority of the bays are empty. My only complaint about the supercharging is the cost. You pay a premium for being able to charge quickly (about 3-4 times what it costs at home).

FUEL ECONOMY

Charging at home is really cheap compared to gasoline, but on road trips not so much. I have put over 20,00 miles on the car in the year with about 40% of that on road trips. I have averaged 274 watt hours/mile (the car’s trip meter will display this on the touchscreen) which means I can travel 3.65 miles/kilowatt hour. I pay an average of 9.6 cents/kilowatt hour on my electric bill (more in the summer, less during the winter. So my fuel cost/mile is 2.6 cents. Current average gas price in my area is $3.28/ gallon and this equates to a little over 124 miles per gallon which is a big savings. On road trips I’ve paid an average of 35 cents/kilowatt hour at superchargers. This equates to 34 miles per gallon on the road. Not a great savings, but it’s still cheaper than gas and you’re not polluting the environment.

UPDATES

Tesla is constantly updating the software, adding new features and improvements to the user interface. There have been 10-12 updates in the year I’ve owned the car. To me, this is a great feature which means you aren’t locked in to what’s available when you buy the car and don’t have to buy a newer model to get the latest improvements. I’ve been very happy with most of the changes they’ve made which make it easier to operate the vehicle.

RELIABILITY

In the year I’ve owned the car, I’ve had absolutely NOTHING go wrong with it. Zip, zero, nada! The ONLY thing I’ve done is to rotate the tires every 6,500 miles. I realize other people have had some needed repairs and you will find many complaints on this website. I think part of this is the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” theory. People who have problems post about it. Those who have had no issues with the car don’t post about how great it’s been.

SUMMARY

After one year, based on my experience the car has exceeded my expectations. Is it perfect? Of course not. Would I buy another one? Definitely!

0_Tesla_Model_Y_1.jpg

"0 Tesla Model Y 1" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Nice review, agree with almost everything (as a model 3 owner).

The only thing I would like to add is that 5% battery degradation in the first year is completely normal. In fact you will now find that it will plateau and degrade much more slowly over time. The most degradation happens in the first 1-2 years unless you are abusing the battery - which is hard to do in this car.

So don’t go around telling people that it’s normal to lose 5% a year, because it isn’t quite true :)

Love my MYP as well. Zero delivery issues so far, and no issues to date. I agree that charging at home is a game-changer. That being said, it's really only a privilege that homeowners can experience unfortunately. Now, I've only had mine for 1 month and only logged 800 miles. For comparison, my wife owns/drives a 21 Lexux RX350 FSport. Every time, I drive it, it feels slow, large, and it does not feel as roomy inside despite it being a larger vehicle overall. One pedal driving is a game changer to me, it's so effortless. They park next to each other in our garage. The RX is dimensionally taller, longer, and wider than my MY. I am coming from a 2020 Ford F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4. I had a Lightning reservation, but I cancelled it once the dealer pulled bait-n-switch on me by forcing a 'market adjustment'.

RE: Build quality issues. I found 2 very minor paint issues (looks like something touched the paint before it cured in one spot and a scratch), something that the Lexus and my previous Ford never had. Luckily, they are both in areas that are not really visible or that accessible (rear pass door jamb). They are so minor that they do not bother me as I cannot see them unless I look for them when that door is open. But I agree that Tesla needs to step up and improve their 'paint' process for their vehicles. This might explain why the Cybertruck comes un-painted as Tesla just said 'f it' on the Cybertruck.

Reactions: yellowr6
This is the first EV I’ve ever owned and I thought I’d post this review aimed primarily at those who are considering buying a Model Y. I could drone on with more detail, but these are the things that are important to me. Obviously, this is just one person’s opinion based on their own experience. Other owners may feel differently.

DRIVING

I absolutely LOVE driving this car. Acceleration and braking is unbelievably smooth once you learn how to adjust to one pedal driving with regenerative braking. As expected, car is very quiet and there is never any feeling of engine strain. In fact, driving an ICE car now feels like I’m in some antiquated, outdated contraption from the last century. Autopilot, which comes standard, works very well on limited access highways. Car will hold its lane using Autosteer feature and Tesla’s Traffic Aware Cruise Control will adjust your speed to the car in front even slowing to a full stop if needed. This makes bumper to bumper traffic MUCH less stressful (on one road trip, my wife fell asleep using this feature). Occasionally the car will brake and accelerate more aggressively than I would in this situation, but most of the time it works very smoothly, mimicking what I would do driving manually. Some might complain that it doesn’t follow the car in front as closely (distance is adjustable) as it should and allows people to cut in front of you, but it’s worked fine for me.

To me, the full self driving option is not worth the money. I got the subscription for the first two months but decided I didn’t need it for two reasons. First, FSD is a misnomer as it does NOT work on city streets (which Tesla has been saying is “coming soon” for years) only on limited access highways. When programmed, the car as it approaches a slower car in front of you will check the lane for clearance, activate the turn signal, and change lanes. It will also navigate you to your programmed exit, but once it gets you to the exit lane you’re on your own from there. Using Autosteer (which comes standard) if you want to change lanes, how hard is it to simply check that the lane is clear, activate your turn signal and move over? When you do, this deactivates Autosteer which you can reactivate as soon as you pass the slower car and move back into your lane. Second, a big reason for wanting FSD for road trips centered on concerns about backing in to Supercharger spaces which is necessary. Why Tesla didn’t put the charge port in the front of the car to prevent this makes no sense to me?? While the Autopark feature of FSD works great, there is one problem with it—it’s VERY slow. I discovered that the backup camera is so good that you don’t even need Autopark. The camera’s white lines show your driving path and adjust as you move the steering wheel, so if you keep those lines inside the lane markings you won’t have any problems. In addition, you have the sensors which warn you visually and audibly when you’re getting too close to an adjacent car or other object. In my opinion, if you hit anything while parking a Tesla, you’re either not paying attention or you’re a terrible driver! I’ve read where Tesla has dropped the ultrasonic sensors in new models in favor of Teslavision which accomplishes this using video only. I think this is a BIG mistake, unless they can program it to work as well as the sensors. It would be a dealbreaker for me without this feature as this car has a wide wheelbase and it’s easy to misjudge your distances. The sensors work great.

Of course, not everything about the car is to my liking. Ride could be a little smoother. It’s great on smooth roads, not so much on bumpy ones. Car handles and rides more like a sports car than an SUV. Phantom braking (where the car slows for no apparent reason) is an issue but it has happened very rarely, maybe 4-5 times in the year I’ve owned it and only when using Autopilot. Icons and text on the touchscreen are too small to be read easily while driving. Warning messages are a big problem in that they are too small to read and don’t stay displayed long enough. I wish Tesla would reprogram them using a MUCH larger font. And, of course, I’m not too happy about the big price drop after I bought it so buyers could qualify for the tax credit. But this isn’t really that big of an issue since I tend to keep a car for a long time (8-10 years) so it really won’t affect me.

RANGE

Forget about getting the EPA estimated range. If you’re like most drivers, you won’t achieve that unless you always drive on level roads with no adverse weather conditions, aren’t heavily loaded, and never exceed the speed limit. For me it’s been around 80% of the listed range but that’s not a problem. Listed range is 330 miles for the long range model, but I get about 250-260 which is plenty enough for my needs. On road trips, that’s roughly 3.5 hours of driving before charging, which is sufficient for me and allows a needed break. In real world usage, you’ll generally be fluctuating between 20-80% of battery level since charging above 80% takes longer even when using the superchargers.

Battery degradation is a thing. As the battery ages, the range decreases. I’ve lost about 5% of range after the first year and a full charge now shows only around 315 miles, which is not uncommon. Tesla warrants the battery for 8 years or 120,000 miles and my understanding is if the battery has degraded more than 35% during this time they will replace it.

CHARGING

I had a level 2 charging outlet installed in my garage (240 volt) and keep the car plugged in when not driving. It charges at a rate of about 30 miles of charging/hour and will fully charge overnight. I keep it charged to 80% and love never having to visit a gas station since I leave every day with a “full tank.”

The Tesla Supercharging Network has been as advertised and it’s the primary reason I bought a Tesla in the first place. I wanted a car that could be used for both road trips and local driving and no other charging network even comes close to Tesla’s in the number of locations and charging bays for fast (level 3) charging. They are spaced about 40-50 miles apart along most of the interstate highways. Charging stops usually take only 20-30 minutes as it’s faster to only charge to about 80% and do it more frequently. On a hypothetical road trip for example, you could stop twice and fully charge for 45-50 minutes each time, or stop three times for 20 minutes each. Obviously, the three stop option requires less charging time overall. Tesla’s Trip Planner feature works well in this area, showing you where you need to stop, for how long, and how many charging stations are currently available. In the year I’ve had the car, we’ve been on seven road trips covering 16 different states from New York to Florida and have only had to wait in line once for a station (about 10 min.). I realize this may change as more and more cars are sold, but so far so good. At most stops a majority of the bays are empty. My only complaint about the supercharging is the cost. You pay a premium for being able to charge quickly (about 3-4 times what it costs at home).

FUEL ECONOMY

Charging at home is really cheap compared to gasoline, but on road trips not so much. I have put over 20,00 miles on the car in the year with about 40% of that on road trips. I have averaged 274 watt hours/mile (the car’s trip meter will display this on the touchscreen) which means I can travel 3.65 miles/kilowatt hour. I pay an average of 9.6 cents/kilowatt hour on my electric bill (more in the summer, less during the winter. So my fuel cost/mile is 2.6 cents. Current average gas price in my area is $3.28/ gallon and this equates to a little over 124 miles per gallon which is a big savings. On road trips I’ve paid an average of 35 cents/kilowatt hour at superchargers. This equates to 34 miles per gallon on the road. Not a great savings, but it’s still cheaper than gas and you’re not polluting the environment.

UPDATES

Tesla is constantly updating the software, adding new features and improvements to the user interface. There have been 10-12 updates in the year I’ve owned the car. To me, this is a great feature which means you aren’t locked in to what’s available when you buy the car and don’t have to buy a newer model to get the latest improvements. I’ve been very happy with most of the changes they’ve made which make it easier to operate the vehicle.

RELIABILITY

In the year I’ve owned the car, I’ve had absolutely NOTHING go wrong with it. Zip, zero, nada! The ONLY thing I’ve done is to rotate the tires every 6,500 miles. I realize other people have had some needed repairs and you will find many complaints on this website. I think part of this is the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” theory. People who have problems post about it. Those who have had no issues with the car don’t post about how great it’s been.

SUMMARY

After one year, based on my experience the car has exceeded my expectations. Is it perfect? Of course not. Would I buy another one? Definitely!

View attachment 958470
"0 Tesla Model Y 1" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Fantastic review, very well organized and detailed. Would have loved to hear your experience with autonomous driving.

I too have own the Tesla for about a year; I chose the MYP 😬 EPA total deception; I get in the low 200 miles; Can’t seem to go to far without making pit stops; Can’t rotate the tires, no camber in the rear; Probably get about 25K miles out of them; Outch 😩 21’ are not cheap and last, the sudden price drop after I bought it🤑
Why can you not rotate the tires. And what do you mean by "no camber"

Reactions: T E S L A Y
Why can you not rotate the tires. And what do you mean by "no camber"
Can’t rotate tires because rear are bigger than the front. Can only rotate tires if they are all the same size.
When the tires are wearing out much faster from the inside, normally one can take it for an alignment and adjust the camber, so they can wear out evenly across the tire; Most cars do come with a camber adjustable link. Tesla decided not to have that install in their cars.
Therefore I purchased an aftermarket adjustable camber link (Amazon) had it installed at a tire shop and made the proper adjustment to correct the tire wear and extend the life of the tires by wearing them out evenly.

Reactions: jjtdmd2003@yah
We have had our MYLR for 15 months. During that time there have been seven 800-mile road trips along with our everyday local usage. Two trips to Knoxville SC for adjustments (under warranty). We now have 20 thousand plus miles on the vehicle. We had a Tesla Wall Connector installed in the garage. Supercharging and range anxiety have not been an issue - period.
Now, our 2017 Subaru Outback maybe gets used once every two weeks just because, and gets fueled up maybe once a month. There have been numerous times when I have walked away from the Outback with the engine running (DOH) only to turn back and shut it off. then the car will lock. Admit it, you've done the same thing. The acceleration pales and I don't like using the brake pedal. The last major service left us with a major bill. For our purposes, overall, it has been a very good ICE vehicle IMHO.
BUT - I have been able to bite the apple and taste the future.

Can’t rotate tires because rear are bigger than the front. Can only rotate tires if they are all the same size.
When the tires are wearing out much faster from the inside, normally one can take it for an alignment and adjust the camber, so they can wear out evenly across the tire; Most cars do come with a camber adjustable link. Tesla decided not to have that install in their cars.
Therefore I purchased an aftermarket adjustable camber link (Amazon) had it installed at a tire shop and made the proper adjustment to correct the tire wear and extend the life of the tires by wearing them out evenly.
Are your tirs asymmetrical? If they are not, you can have a tire shop “flip” them by dismounting and remounting the tires on the opposite rims. The inside of the left tire becomes the outside of the right wheel maintaining the direction of rotation and helping to wear the tires more evenly.

OP we have not heard from you in a while. What other questions do you have?

Two accessories you might not have added bot feel they are worth minimal cost:
1. Wiper fluid housing strainer, drop in stainless strainer, protect the pump
2. Front grill protective mesh, protect from any debris getting stuck deep in the underside of rhe vehicle

Any others guys that we typically don’t see added

1. Wiper fluid housing strainer, drop in stainless strainer, protect the pump
2. Front grill protective mesh, protect from any debris getting stuck deep in the underside of rhe vehicle

#1 seems kind of pointless, TBH. Just someone trying to invent a problem to take money. Unless you're driving around with your wiper fluid cap off, or purposely pouring gunky wiper fluid in, I don't see how debris could ever get in there. Haven't seen #2 before.

Update after 1 month and change:

Going well. Love the car. Haven't taken any other long road trips yet, we mostly use it for around town. I only plug it in about once a week, and even then I'm usually only down to around 40%. My wife is liking it too, and opts to take it much more than I thought she would for short errands.

It's smooth, quiet, quick...definitely not sporty though, hehe. Gotta be careful chucking it into a corner, it's not made for that. The stability control kicked in once, way earlier than I was expecting, when I was pushing it and came into a corner too hot. But still very enjoyable to drive around town. The seats are really comfortable, everyone comments on those. The software and nav have been flawless — having it tied into my calendar is great, I rarely have to manually enter a destination, it just knows where I'm going.

I'm glad I got the blue, in that I feel like most of the Ys I see around here are gray or white (there are two people on my street along with white Model Y Performance). However, less glad I got the blue in that has tons of paint defects, and it seems to show fingerprints and dust extremely well, way more than even my previous gray BMW did somehow. Not sure how or why, but it does. Even after clay, polish, and ceramic, I find it tough to get the blue to have a really deep luster. (On a side note, the blue I've seen on some new Honda CRVs is amazing looking. Wish we had that blue.)

I am still in the free trial for FSD Beta, but I never use it, because it's scary on city streets. It's a gimmick at this point — on anything other than a quiet clear road, I don't like how it drives. It is terrible at roundabouts, and we have a lot of those here in Fishers and Carmel, IN...we're the roundabout capital of the US. But I didn't buy the car because I wanted it to drive itself, so that's fine.