Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR range is not adding up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a version of sentry mode that isn’t laughable?
Anecdotally I hear Rivian’s implementation is far more power efficient.

Tesla never designed the system for Sentry. It was shoehorned into an existing platform that is meant to enable autonomous driving. Running the MCU and FSD computer continuously as if the car was driving down the road is expensive.

Is a few miles worth of battery for these convenient features that big of a deal to us?
It’s a big deal to me, and it’s quite a bit more than “a few miles” if you use these features with any regularity.

Anecdotally I hear Rivian’s implementation is far more power efficient.

Tesla never designed the system for Sentry. It was shoehorned into an existing platform that is meant to enable autonomous driving. Running the MCU and FSD computer continuously as if the car was driving down the road is expensive.

It’s a big deal to me, and it’s quite a bit more than “a few miles” if you use these features with any regularity.
If it’s a big deal to you, it would be important for Tesla to appreciate who you are appropriately; is your customer profile representative of a large segment of the market or that of an outlier? Is this segment, the one that favors a strip-down version that care about nothing else (including the ecosystem and its support) except for range large enough such that we at Tesla should design a dedicated car for. What would that car look like? Should we (Tesla) let that segment go to an another player, perhaps one that’s already not equipped to offer anything but a battery-driven dumb wagon. Good news for you, there are over 300 Chinese EV manufacturers doing just that. Last thing I want as an investor is for Tesla to try to be all things to all customer types. Cutting baits with the likes of you may be okay. Have to ask, did you come from the Prius?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
If it’s a big deal to you, it would be important for Tesla to appreciate who you are appropriately; is your customer profile representative of a large segment of the market or that of an outlier? Is this segment, the one that favors a strip-down version that care about nothing else (including the ecosystem and its support) except for range large enough such that we at Tesla should design a dedicated car for. What would that car look like? Should we (Tesla) let that segment go to an another player, perhaps one that’s already not equipped to offer anything but a battery-driven dumb wagon. Good news for you, there are over 300 Chinese EV manufacturers doing just that. Last thing I want as an investor is for Tesla to try to be all things to all customer types. Cutting baits with the likes of you may be okay. Have to ask, did you come from the Prius?
You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding something and/or jumping to rather silly conclusions.

Tesla exposes the option to people like me to turn off things like Sentry and cabin overheat. I’m perfectly satisfied with that. I use them once or twice a year when I think it’s warranted and don’t needlessly burn energy the rest of the time. Those who think they get value out of recording their neighbors 24/7 and air conditioning an empty space can do so to their heart’s desire.

Everyone wins, ya?

Reactions: dino007
Its kind of like using a laptop or cell phone; you dont track how many minutes you have left, you just plan to charge when you need to.

This is really the best description of why it makes sense to switch to percentage. Unless you're Amish, you already know this pattern.

Your phone could report the minutes of talk time remaining and your laptop could report the minutes of computing time, but those numbers would end up inaccurate and at least somewhat irrelevant. Same is true with your battery powered transportation device.

Percentage for the win.

A couple of things.

First off: No question, Tesla followed the EPA rules when setting the mileage and W-hr/mile to a fare-thee-well. With a 2018 M3, a 2021 MY, and a 2023 M3 (sold the 2018), I've always gotten close to the EPA numbers. But I do live on the East Coast, where speeds tend to be somewhat slower, and I'm one of those drivers who doesn't play jackrabbit.

When the EPA decided, with good reason, to change the mechanism/procedure used to calculate the range/W-hr/mile, Tesla kicked right in and put in the new numbers based upon the new rules. Some people yelled, "Cheat!" because, well, why not. But they never broke any rules - rather, the opposite.

Next: The car's mileage estimators. In order of increasing accuracy, we have:
  1. The number at the top of the screen. The car takes the Best Estimate of the number of kW-hr's of charge in the battery and divides it by the W-hr/mile that's printed on the Mulrooney sticker, and displays the mileage until empty. You're driving on a cold day? With a head wind? With a tail wind? Going uphill? Going downhill? None of that is in there. Having said that, if it's the spiffy spring/summer/fall, there's nothing elevation-wise going on, and the wind's not blowing particularly, this estimate is vaguely reasonable.
  2. Energy Screen. Hit the triple-dot button in the middle of the bottom, pick the icon labeled "Energy", and stand back in wonder. In order:
    1. Right hand most tab is "Consumption". Has a plot of energy used on the Y axis and how far back it was in the X axis, where your current position is on the right. Not bad. You'll see the last hill you climbed, the last hill you drove down, any mad acceleration or deceleration, or when you moved from local roads to the interstate. It shows an average over the selected range (I think 5, 10, or 30 miles?) which, if you're going at a more-or-less constant speed, is reasonably accurate, and shows the range from this average. Nice when it shows, say, 196 miles to empty when the number at the top of the screen is showing 160. Not so much fun if those two are flipped, though.
    2. Left hand most tab has the strangest plot I've seen in a while, which shows estimated range vs. Official Range for the drive one is doing. Cute. But the real money is on the listing down below, where it shows a little bar chart of sorts with terms like "driving", Air conditioning, altitude, and three or so others. Each one of these items is either green (you're making it farther than "expected") or red (less far).
  3. The %battery at trips end. This is the number when you have your destination plugged into the NAV, and shows up in the box at the bottom of the screen which shows your distance to the destination and the %charge when you get there. THIS is the most accurate estimator. Going on local and superhighways? It's in there. Up a mountain and down the other side? It's in there. There's a windstorm heading your way and will hit in a half hour, either blowing you down the road or pushing you backwards? It's in there. It's ALL in there. One number, but it's as accurate as Tesla can make it.
And, just mentioning one other thing: The middle tab in the Energy screen has the energy usage you've been using while you've been parked. Interested in Sentry battery drain? Or running the heat/cooling while parked in Dog mode? It's in there. Handy when people are trying to figure out where their range hath gone.

Finally: A lot of the above depends upon an accurate measure of the contents of charge in the BMS (Battery Management System). Turns out, the BMS, while more accurate than a typical ICE's idea of how much gas is in the tank, isn't nailed in stone. About a year after getting our initial 2018 M3, the displayed mileage at the top had dropped from the initial 320 miles or so (dividing the displayed number by the %charge) to 299 or so. All of this was on short, local trips, 15-20 miles or so.

Then took a 900 mile trip south and back on a vacation, charging up madly at Superchargers, with the battery charge dropping down into the single digits and back up again. Lo and behold, after the first day, the displayed range number went right back up into the 320's. And stayed up there for a month or so, then started decaying back down again.

This got to be a recognizable pattern. Local driving, the estimated mileage drops 20 miles or so. Do long distance: Not right away, but after the 2nd or 3rd Supercharging session there it was, back up again. When the car was sold last year, the max number was around 309-311, about a 3% drop in displayed charge, not bad for a 5 year old car.

Deal is, being something of a reliability engineer, I can safely tell you that, over a large enough population of vehicles (or anything else), Some Of Everything Dies, sooner or later. It's not even necessarily wear; I mean, the occasional ICE car manufactured somewhere throws a rod or breaks a crankshaft. It's why there're warranties. So, does your drop in range mean that your car's got a defect? Probably not, most cars don't, and your drop in range kinda sounds like some of the above. But if it starts getting down into the 10% down range, contact Tesla. They got super-duper diagnostics for the battery system that can suss out the evil stuff. Or get you kicked out of the Service Center with a, "Really, don't be so sensitive to these kind of things." admonition. If your decreased range gets down into 30+ miles, then bug them.
Thank you!

I would have set the charge to 100% on the schedule so that it was at 100% by whatever time you planned to leave.
As you now know, by charging it to 100% hours before you left there was a bunch of battery load used by Sentry mode and standard system drain which is about 1% when not in Sentry mode.
So ya, use the charge and trip scheduling in the app next time and you should see a few more miles. It's also healthier for the battery to not leave it at 100% for very long and most charging should be to 80% and even better is smallish charge cycles like 50-80% or 45-75% instead of 20-80% unless doing long trips.
I just had a home charger installed, so I'll be able to easily keep it in a closer range now, like 50-80.