Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian vs. American model Y... why the range difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Careful on the misinformation, @Lumens. I don't think that's correct. You seem to be mistaking the LFP batteries (which are charged to 100%) and the batteries that are going into these LR model Ys from China, which are not a different chemistry, just a different manufacturer. Still need to stick to 20-80.
I'm just quoting what the advisor told me at the service center. Not sure about Model Y's (missed that this was a Y thread) but my friend does indeed charge his Canadian M3 to 100% every day as suggested by Tesla.

Then again, last night I had a different advisor argue with me about how the new Y doesn't include USS... He had to call out his superior to tell me that they actually stopped being installed last year- something I already knew.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
I'm just quoting what the advisor told me at the service center. Not sure about Model Y's (missed that this was a Y thread) but my friend does indeed charge his Canadian M3 to 100% every day as suggested by Tesla.

Then again, last night I had a different advisor argue with me about how the new Y doesn't include USS... He had to call out his superior to tell me that they actually stopped being installed last year- something I already knew.
Advisors are often wrong unfortunately. The car will tell you if it needs to be charged to 100%.

Even then it’s not recommended to charge to 100% every day, it’s recommended at least once a week. But in actuality every other week is probably fine.

Reactions: cdswm3 and Lumens

He’s wrong.

Lol as ever bit of incorrect information ever starts.
Well I guess it's too bad Tesla doesn't have anything together in the information department, but I could expect as much judging from my delivery experience and trying to take delivery of my next Model Y. I keep getting frustrated then keep remembering that I'm dealing with Tesla... it's my own fault at this point. Thankfully the removal of stalks and USS was enough to help many avoid these pitfalls I suppose.

• Disagree
Well I guess it's too bad Tesla doesn't have anything together in the information department, but I could expect as much judging from my delivery experience and trying to take delivery of my next Model Y. I keep getting frustrated then keep remembering that I'm dealing with Tesla... it's my own fault at this point. Thankfully the removal of stalks and USS was enough to help many avoid these pitfalls I suppose.
I hear you on the customer service/delivery experience. But not on your ESS or stalk issue.

I ended to waking away from my model y delivery because of the shitty service. I got a used S privately instead. I like the product... but the company so must.

Reactions: hydro
smaller capacity batteries coming from Shanghai are able to be charged to 100% daily as opposed to the Freemont batteries taking an 80% daily charge (as recommended by Tesla).

This is a misunderstanding. Leaving any lithium battery sitting at a high state of charge accelerates degradation. Sitting at either 80% or 100% is bad for your lithium battery, whether it's LFP (like the lower capacity batteries in the RWD Model 3) or NCA/NMC (like the LR/Performance trim batteries).

The LFP batteries have a voltage curve that makes the battery management system (BMS) have a hard time knowing the battery capacity. Tesla's solution to this is... "charge to 100% every week". At 100%, the battery cells will have a higher voltage that will help the BMS know what the actual state of charge is. It's still not great for the battery to sit at 100% though.

Best option for those LFP batteries is to charge to 100% and then drive it down.

This is a misunderstanding. Leaving any lithium battery sitting at a high state of charge accelerates degradation. Sitting at either 80% or 100% is bad for your lithium battery, whether it's LFP (like the lower capacity batteries in the RWD Model 3) or NCA/NMC (like the LR/Performance trim batteries).

I agree that neither chemistry should sit at 100%, but I'm under the impression the LFP is more tolerant of time at high SoC and high(er) temperature. I understand LFP to be more tolerant, but those conditions should still be avoided when possible.

I don't know if this has been settled yet (Model Y LR coming with LFP battery or not). The other thing to look at is the 0-100km times since the LFP batteries don't deliver the punch. It seems the currently listed version has slowed down at 5.0 seconds vs. the used cars listed on the Tesla website. A few 2020-2023 models all claiming 4.4 seconds.

• Disagree
I don't know if this has been settled yet (Model Y LR coming with LFP battery or not). The other thing to look at is the 0-100km times since the LFP batteries don't deliver the punch. It seems the currently listed version has slowed down at 5.0 seconds vs. the used cars listed on the Tesla website. A few 2020-2023 models all claiming 4.4 seconds.
This difference is because Tesla unlocks the software upgrades on their CPO cars (FSD & acceleration boost). I believe a new Y LR would still have the same 4.4s 0-100km/h with the acceleration boost purchased.