Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Owner and Dissapointed with new MY LR Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not writing off the whole network, just 20 - 25% (according to the JD Powers survey, backed up with a testing of over 100 chargers in LA by a journalist.) The problem is, one never knows which 20% isn't working. Although Plugshare is a very good resource it isn't helpful if no-one has recently used the charger one needs in the next few hours. And if you are traveling on a less-used corridor, that is very likely.
I do not rely on the CCS/Chademo network (for now) when travelling either and only use superchargers during trips. The several CCS/Chad that I came across were non-functional at the time (I use plugshare quite a bit as well). The reviews are helpful but I don't rely on them as I try to drive down to 5% or so. With the superchargers I know how many are open, and that they are working.

With that said, when I arrive at a destination I do use the flo network to top up where possible as they are pretty cheap (or sometimes free) and I have time to scout them out before hand. I have not had any luck at all with the PetroCanada/Shell CCS networks.

This strategy works for me but of course do what works for you. For my level of comfort I don't think I would take a non-Tesla EV on a road trip at this time. Local driving only is a whole different story.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I'm not writing off the whole network, just 20 - 25% (according to the JD Powers survey, backed up with a testing of over 100 chargers in LA by a journalist.) The problem is, one never knows which 20% isn't working. Although Plugshare is a very good resource it isn't helpful if no-one has recently used the charger one needs in the next few hours. And if you are traveling on a less-used corridor, that is very likely.

You are misreading the article. Some 20% of the plugs that EV owners attempted to use had some sort of problem -- NOT 20% of locations. And a fair number of the problem incidents were car owners not knowing how to use the chargers.

If you read non-propaganda reports from experienced drivers you will find that a common refrain is that they almost universally are able to charge, although having to move to a different connector is not unusual in the CCS network.

You are misreading the article. Some 20% of the plugs that EV owners attempted to use had some sort of problem -- NOT 20% of locations. And a fair number of the problem incidents were car owners not knowing how to use the chargers.

If you read non-propaganda reports from experienced drivers you will find that a common refrain is that they almost universally are able to charge, although having to move to a different connector is not unusual in the CCS network.

The situation is different in Canada. Quite frequently there is only one or two chargers at any spot. At least on the route I take. Tesla Superchargers with more than 8 chargers are unusual as well. As well, connectivity problems in rural locations cause issues (hence Webeevdrivers recommending getting the Flo RFID card - which I have as well as the app and at least one or two others.)

Have you noticed similar inconsistency with Canadian iPhones or Samsungs and complained / shared your frustration in those forums? There’s simply not enough transparency to satisfy your needs…especially when you find yourself on the short end.

If this minor lack of transparency is all that it would take for you to consider ICE as the appropriate vehicle moving forward despite all that have been known and experienced with ICE vehicles, then you’re wasting my time.
Hello All,

I'm a new MY LR owner from Canada, and I have to say this car has been a disappointment. I thought I had done enough research prior to purchasing the car in October. My number one complaint is the abysmal range that I've been getting. I had test drove the MYLR overnight from Tesla, talked to co-workers on their experiences with their MY Tesla, and read a lot of forums (admittedly, most posts are from the US).

The MYLR that I test drove was built in Fremont, and during the time of my test drive, I had no issues with the range. All 6 of my co-workers had Tesla's built in Fremont (Although I was unaware at the time) and they all assured me in their experience, range anxiety wasn't an issue. A lot of youtube videos I watched showed ranges that were +400kms. I figured if I could get close to this figure, which the Candian Model Y should be able to achieve since they have an EPA of 457km with Induction wheels, I would be okay.

I've been driving my car for just under a month with a current 1000km (625 miles) on the odometer and have been getting absolutely terrible range. I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. This is with heating set to 21deg C (70degF), with an average of 180wh/km (275wh/mile). I then later found out that all my co-workers have MYs built in Fremont, which is why they've never had issues with Range. There aren't many videos describing the range loss for Canadian model Ys as well.

As a Canadian, I am pissed that we get shafted with the crappy 79kW LG battery vs the 83kW Panasonic battery. Price also remains the same and it just feels like Tesla doesn't care about it's Canadian customers. I wish Tesla was also more transparent with this. If I could go back, I would have purchased an ICE car instead, especially with gas prices coming down.

Have you noticed similar inconsistency with Canadian iPhones or Samsungs and complained / shared your frustration in those forums? There’s simply not enough transparency to satisfy your needs…especially when you find yourself on the short end.

If this minor lack of transparency is all that it would take for you to consider ICE as the appropriate vehicle moving forward despite all that have been known and experienced with ICE vehicles, then you’re wasting my time.
Then why did you respond?

Hello All,

I'm a new MY LR owner from Canada, and I have to say this car has been a disappointment. I thought I had done enough research prior to purchasing the car in October. My number one complaint is the abysmal range that I've been getting. I had test drove the MYLR overnight from Tesla, talked to co-workers on their experiences with their MY Tesla, and read a lot of forums (admittedly, most posts are from the US).

The MYLR that I test drove was built in Fremont, and during the time of my test drive, I had no issues with the range. All 6 of my co-workers had Tesla's built in Fremont (Although I was unaware at the time) and they all assured me in their experience, range anxiety wasn't an issue. A lot of youtube videos I watched showed ranges that were +400kms. I figured if I could get close to this figure, which the Candian Model Y should be able to achieve since they have an EPA of 457km with Induction wheels, I would be okay.

I've been driving my car for just under a month with a current 1000km (625 miles) on the odometer and have been getting absolutely terrible range. I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. This is with heating set to 21deg C (70degF), with an average of 180wh/km (275wh/mile). I then later found out that all my co-workers have MYs built in Fremont, which is why they've never had issues with Range. There aren't many videos describing the range loss for Canadian model Ys as well.

As a Canadian, I am pissed that we get shafted with the crappy 79kW LG battery vs the 83kW Panasonic battery. Price also remains the same and it just feels like Tesla doesn't care about it's Canadian customers. I wish Tesla was also more transparent with this. If I could go back, I would have purchased an ICE car instead, especially with gas prices coming down.

While understand your feeling, your MYLR power usage/range is probably pretty normal for the 2023 model, at least compared to my 2023 MYLR built in Austin. It would be almost impossible to achieve the advised range at ideal condition, even less than in the cold north.

I had my 2023 Y LR almost a year now and had 15,000 miles on it. Living in Tennessee, it is very mild year around. My car reported driving power consumption rate is 262 Wh/mile (compared to your 298). Note that the car only report the driving consumption rate, not including parking & battery SOC adjustment/recalibration (Vehicle Standby ?) consumption after drives. In my case, the Vehicle Standby consumption (??) usages were between 5-20% of battery for each charging circle (I typically charge from 20 to 80% in every 2-3 days). Yes, Tesla repeated said my car is perfectly normal.

Based on cumulative power (kWh) charged to (received by) the car (through App or Wall charger/car screen), my life time TRUE power usage is about 315 Wh/mile. The best range I can get out of it from a round trip in spring (May) was about 250 miles (80% interstate driving around 70 mile/h and rest being highway). My car used 92% (100% to 8%) battery (started from pre-conditioned battery/cabin) for a 213 mile interstate one-stop round trip a few days ago around 50F weather with almost constant speed (70-75 mile/h), solo driver & empty cargo.

Come from a previous Toyota Prius owner and family with kids, Tesla is Y is a fun driving, family entertaining, and safer car. But it is not a true gas (or operating cost) saving car as I expected. In my state, I have to pay $200/year (even higher in 2 years) extra gas (road) tax for a EV and high insurance premium.

Considered the real world range, higher Supercharger station electric rate, and planning nature of the charging, it would not be my choice for my family distant vacation in the near future after one beach trip last summer (we do have a practical Subaru Outback). I need a relaxed vacation without another worry to add on.