Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Owner and Dissapointed with new MY LR Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm a new MY LR owner from Canada, and I have to say this car has been a disappointment. I thought I had done enough research prior to purchasing the car in October. My number one complaint is the abysmal range that I've been getting. I had test drove the MYLR overnight from Tesla, talked to co-workers on their experiences with their MY Tesla, and read a lot of forums (admittedly, most posts are from the US).

The MYLR that I test drove was built in Fremont, and during the time of my test drive, I had no issues with the range. All 6 of my co-workers had Tesla's built in Fremont (Although I was unaware at the time) and they all assured me in their experience, range anxiety wasn't an issue. A lot of youtube videos I watched showed ranges that were +400kms. I figured if I could get close to this figure, which the Candian Model Y should be able to achieve since they have an EPA of 457km with Induction wheels, I would be okay.

I've been driving my car for just under a month with a current 1000km (625 miles) on the odometer and have been getting absolutely terrible range. I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. This is with heating set to 21deg C (70degF), with an average of 180wh/km (275wh/mile). I then later found out that all my co-workers have MYs built in Fremont, which is why they've never had issues with Range. There aren't many videos describing the range loss for Canadian model Ys as well.

As a Canadian, I am pissed that we get shafted with the crappy 79kW LG battery vs the 83kW Panasonic battery. Price also remains the same and it just feels like Tesla doesn't care about it's Canadian customers. I wish Tesla was also more transparent with this. If I could go back, I would have purchased an ICE car instead, especially with gas prices coming down.

.... A lot of youtube videos I watched showed ranges that were +400kms. I figured if I could get close to this figure, which the Candian Model Y should be able to achieve since they have an EPA of 457km with Induction wheels, I would be okay.

.....I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. ....
So if you average 230 km by using up 55% of the battery (80% -> 25%), 100% battery usage with the same driving efficiency achieves 418km. That meets your 400km+ target no?

As a Canadian, I am pissed that we get shafted with the crappy 79kW LG battery vs the 83kW Panasonic battery.

That difference in size would not make very much difference at all.

I've been driving my car for just under a month with a current 1000km (625 miles) on the odometer and have been getting absolutely terrible range. I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. This is with heating set to 21deg C (70degF), with an average of 180wh/km (275wh/mile).

its colder than when you took your test drives. If you think "built in fremont = no issues with range" I have several THOUSAND posts I could share with you here that beg to differ.

I live in Alaska and have a 2022 MY with 27,000 miles on it. My daily commute is 50 miles. In the summer months I use 20% to travel the 50 miles pretty consistently. I start using more once the tempeture gets down to 40° Fahrenheit or so. On the coldest days, -10° F or colder I will use 40% to make my 50 mile commute, this includes sitting outside for 8 hours while I'm at work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike_TV
So if you average 230 km by using up 55% of the battery (80% -> 25%), 100% battery usage with the same driving efficiency achieves 418km. That meets your 400km+ target no?
I suppose so, but just barely. I'm just upset that we get the lower capacity battery, while paying the same amount. Just kinda annoyed that my co-workers are getting high 400s to low 500kms

Just kinda annoyed that my co-workers are getting high 400s to low 500kms

BS, if winter driving.
Your result of 180 Wh/Km in winter driving is pretty darn outstanding, and the LG battery is fine. The Panasonic pack **may** give a couple more kWh of range -- I don't know. But you gained a better all-around put together and updated car by not getting a Fremont delivery. I'm picking up a Fremont manufactured car delivery today, and I would exchange with you if we lived near each other.

Cars are *always* trade-offs, and this includes Tesla. <<<shrug>>>

If I could go back, I would have purchased an ICE car instead, especially with gas prices coming down.
That would have been a stupid choice

Hello All,

I'm a new MY LR owner from Canada, and I have to say this car has been a disappointment. I thought I had done enough research prior to purchasing the car in October. My number one complaint is the abysmal range that I've been getting. I had test drove the MYLR overnight from Tesla, talked to co-workers on their experiences with their MY Tesla, and read a lot of forums (admittedly, most posts are from the US).

The MYLR that I test drove was built in Fremont, and during the time of my test drive, I had no issues with the range. All 6 of my co-workers had Tesla's built in Fremont (Although I was unaware at the time) and they all assured me in their experience, range anxiety wasn't an issue. A lot of youtube videos I watched showed ranges that were +400kms. I figured if I could get close to this figure, which the Candian Model Y should be able to achieve since they have an EPA of 457km with Induction wheels, I would be okay.

I've been driving my car for just under a month with a current 1000km (625 miles) on the odometer and have been getting absolutely terrible range. I average 230km (143miles), from 80% to 25%. This is with heating set to 21deg C (70degF), with an average of 180wh/km (275wh/mile). I then later found out that all my co-workers have MYs built in Fremont, which is why they've never had issues with Range. There aren't many videos describing the range loss for Canadian model Ys as well.

As a Canadian, I am pissed that we get shafted with the crappy 79kW LG battery vs the 83kW Panasonic battery. Price also remains the same and it just feels like Tesla doesn't care about it's Canadian customers. I wish Tesla was also more transparent with this. If I could go back, I would have purchased an ICE car instead, especially with gas prices coming down.
With only 625 miles on the car, I don‘t think you have a good average yet.
  • The 143 miles you referenced, was that one trip or several days of driving? If the 143 miles is over a couple of days your mileage is not at all accurate.
  • Are you reading the manual and making changes to the car while it’s parked? That‘s using your battery.
  • What apps are running when your car is parked. Things like Sentry use about 2% of your battery over 8 hours.
  • If your car is maintaining a temperature while it parked, that’s using battery.
  • If you checking in with your car on your phone, that’s using battery.
  • If you‘re opening and closing the door, the car wakes up and stays awake about 30 minutes, that’s using battery.
  • Are you preconditioning the car so it‘s warm/cool when you get in it?
  • Are you showing off EV acceleration?
  • Are you driving at higher speeds?
  • Stop and go traffic?
I don’t drink the Tesla punch like many on this forum, the car has some terrible short comings. I don’t think you have enough miles or Tesla knowledge to get a good average yet.

Your claim that Tesla makes an inferior car for Canada is news to me. Why do you say that?

As far as how many miles your coworkers are getting. Men have been lying about length since we started wearing clothes.

I don’t see a real problem, what I am missing?

You consume 55% of the battery (80%-25%), thus 55% * 79 kWh = 43.5 kWh
43.5 kWh / 143 miles = 304 wH/mi - this is entirely reasonable. I have an MYLR in Atlanta and I average a bit over 250 wH/mi

As to the 79 kWh versus 83 kWh, I understand your concern, however, at 304 wH/mi the extra equal capacity is just 13 miles.

Sorry to hear you are not happy.

I am curious if the car does not have enough range for your daily driving? For daily driving ours is a bunch of short trips around town. We just plug it in when it gets down to 40-50% every few days and charge to 70% (charge the M3 RWD to 100% every once in a while). For the several road trips I have been on, one more than 3,000 miles, we just plug in at the SC when needed and take a break. We have not had to stop more often than I otherwise would want to in an ICE car.

Everyone's needs are different, of course. Unless the car does not meet your needs for daily driving/road trips, just enjoy the car! And after such a short time, give it a chance, and as pointed out above you seem to be getting >400 km anyway.

And whilst gas prices go down, they also go up.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I kinda get it. We have a 2022 model Y AWD. We typically swap out cars every 4 years. Our Y has been good to us but the new Y’s continue to lose features and the range gets shorter and shorter. Or at least the ones available in Canada.

No more auto park,
no more lumbar support,
no more summons,
range decreased by 34 kilometres, no more parking sensors to gauge distance to curves etc.
although there are usually some minor FSD improvents every update generally speaking FSD gets worse every revision for us. Completely unuseable in the city now.

And thats all within a year. I suspect by 2026 it will be a very stripped down car with even less range. That and the whole negative ire surrounding tesla because of musk and the unavoidable conversations that come out of that. Ugh. What a goof.

We’ll stick with tesla till the supercharger network is open to other brands and then probably jump ship to a Korean brand. It’s a sad decline of what was a great company.

To each his own. But I understand the OP’s sentiments. It’s getting common here.

At very minimum tesla should consider offering Freemont built cars here.

Jmho.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK and ReddykwRun
With only 625 miles on the car, I don‘t think you have a good average yet.
  • The 143 miles you referenced, was that one trip or several days of driving? If the 143 miles is over a couple of days your mileage is not at all accurate.
  • Are you reading the manual and making changes to the car while it’s parked? That‘s using your battery.
  • What apps are running when your car is parked. Things like Sentry use about 2% of your battery over 8 hours.
  • If your car is maintaining a temperature while it parked, that’s using battery.
  • If you checking in with your car on your phone, that’s using battery.
  • If you‘re opening and closing the door, the car wakes up and stays awake about 30 minutes, that’s using battery.
  • Are you preconditioning the car so it‘s warm/cool when you get in it?
  • Are you showing off EV acceleration?
  • Are you driving at higher speeds?
  • Stop and go traffic?
I don’t drink the Tesla punch like many on this forum, the car has some terrible short comings. I don’t think you have enough miles or Tesla knowledge to get a good average yet.

Your claim that Tesla makes an inferior car for Canada is news to me. Why do you say that?

As far as how many miles your coworkers are getting. Men have been lying about length since we started wearing clothes.
I agree with this. I haven't had the car long enough to have a very good average. Additionally, when I test drove the Model Y, it was in the summer so theres that factor as well.

To answer a few questions:
  • 143 miles was one trip.
  • I'm not making any chances to the car when its parked.
  • Sentry mode is on but off when I'm at home. I've only seen 1% battery drain due to Sentry Mode and that's because I parked it while running errands.
  • It is not maintaining a temp while parked.
  • I check my car with my cell, but it's only drained 0.2%
  • I haven't opened and closed the door a lot. Only when I need to get into the car.
  • I precondition for about 10 minutes
  • I've accelerated on and off, but mostly drive within speed limits.
  • typically 10-15km above speed limit.
  • A mix of stop and go traffic.
Since last charged from 80%, I've driven 48km (30 miles) and have used 15%, which seems to be really low. I'm using 19" Winter Tires on Replica R241s as well if that makes any difference. By my math, i should hit 320kms (200 miles) if I run the battery down to 0%. Its about -1 deg C (30degF) here in Ontario.

Since last charged from 80%, I've driven 48km (30 miles) and have used 15%, which seems to be really low. I'm using 19" Winter Tires on Replica R241s as well if that makes any difference. By my math, i should hit 320kms (200 miles) if I run the battery down to 0%. Its about -1 deg C (30degF) here in Ontario.

Short trips use a lot of energy due to the need to heat the cabin up from cold.

Canadian Owner here. Drove a Prius prior so was well aware of winter range loss, a bit familiar with regen and used to getting great mileage.

Didn't consider an EV until there was one that could manage to give me the range I'd need to drive the hour to my son's and back in the middle of winter, in an emergency without having to consider range.

What I had failed to understand is that 'range' isn't based on a full charge. You can keep your car at 100% but it isn't recommended for me to do so because I don't have the LFP batteries. So suddenly my theoretical 500km range drops to 400 or 450km unless I know about the trip ahead of time and set it to fully charge for the trip.

Of course, even then I only get 500km range for the first hours of the trip because once I'm using L3 to charge, it is slow to charge beyond 80% and you shouldn't charge to 100% on L3.

So for road trips, I have a 400km range.

Except, I don't because I'm not about to take my car to 0%. In fact, I'm not comfortable going below 10%, preferring to stick with 15%. Partly that's because I can only have L1 charging at home. Partly because if there happens to be a power failure where I'm planning to charge, I'll be effed if my car doesn't have enough juice to at least find a working outlet of any sort.

So that makes my practical range no more than 325km. In the summer. Without a headwind.

In winter, that can drop to 200km if the road conditions include snow/slush and it is cold or windy.

So my car, in theory, can get to my son's and back. Barely.

The one time it was an issue as in the winter, picking up granddaughter and friends to take them back to the city for a movie. Then returning them home, then driving myself home. Left with 95% charge, spent just over an hour on the IKEA L2 while the girls were at the movie, got home with 30km range left. Only drove 300km. Had I not driven to IKEA while they were in the movie, I would have not made it.

That's for everyday life.

For road trips, it is another story. The stopping every 2 - 3 hours is annoying but acceptable. I'm old so my body and bladder don't mind. But my normal road trip destinations in Ontario don't have L3 charging along my route or L2 at my destination so I'm thankful I don't have to drive around when I get there and can L1 charge to get me home again. My other regular long drive is to NS. Lots of chargers in Quebec and NB, but NS is the land L3 chargers have forgotten. Literally. Thankfully, I have an AirBnB where I can L1 charge in Halifax (there are no public L3 chargers in town.) But visiting friends in Canso is not in the cards for me. I did it once by staying overnight in Antigonish to L2 charge at a hotel (this was prior to the CCS adapter being available although the L3 charger I would have needed is often out of service or has a long lineup.) When I entered the trip into the online Tesla trip planner it said that I would be able to make that trip "soon." But that was "soon" under Elon's definition. Year one, we didn't go even though the SC we needed was to have been built that quarter. Year two the SC still wasn't built so we added a hotel stay to charge, and year three we skipped going again because that SC *still* isn't built.

Canadian Owner here. Drove a Prius prior so was well aware of winter range loss, a bit familiar with regen and used to getting great mileage.

Didn't consider an EV until there was one that could manage to give me the range I'd need to drive the hour to my son's and back in the middle of winter, in an emergency without having to consider range.

What I had failed to understand is that 'range' isn't based on a full charge. You can keep your car at 100% but it isn't recommended for me to do so because I don't have the LFP batteries. So suddenly my theoretical 500km range drops to 400 or 450km unless I know about the trip ahead of time and set it to fully charge for the trip.

Of course, even then I only get 500km range for the first hours of the trip because once I'm using L3 to charge, it is slow to charge beyond 80% and you shouldn't charge to 100% on L3.

So for road trips, I have a 400km range.

Except, I don't because I'm not about to take my car to 0%. In fact, I'm not comfortable going below 10%, preferring to stick with 15%. Partly that's because I can only have L1 charging at home. Partly because if there happens to be a power failure where I'm planning to charge, I'll be effed if my car doesn't have enough juice to at least find a working outlet of any sort.

So that makes my practical range no more than 325km. In the summer. Without a headwind.

In winter, that can drop to 200km if the road conditions include snow/slush and it is cold or windy.

So my car, in theory, can get to my son's and back. Barely.

The one time it was an issue as in the winter, picking up granddaughter and friends to take them back to the city for a movie. Then returning them home, then driving myself home. Left with 95% charge, spent just over an hour on the IKEA L2 while the girls were at the movie, got home with 30km range left. Only drove 300km. Had I not driven to IKEA while they were in the movie, I would have not made it.

That's for everyday life.

For road trips, it is another story. The stopping every 2 - 3 hours is annoying but acceptable. I'm old so my body and bladder don't mind. But my normal road trip destinations in Ontario don't have L3 charging along my route or L2 at my destination so I'm thankful I don't have to drive around when I get there and can L1 charge to get me home again. My other regular long drive is to NS. Lots of chargers in Quebec and NB, but NS is the land L3 chargers have forgotten. Literally. Thankfully, I have an AirBnB where I can L1 charge in Halifax (there are no public L3 chargers in town.) But visiting friends in Canso is not in the cards for me. I did it once by staying overnight in Antigonish to L2 charge at a hotel (this was prior to the CCS adapter being available although the L3 charger I would have needed is often out of service or has a long lineup.) When I entered the trip into the online Tesla trip planner it said that I would be able to make that trip "soon." But that was "soon" under Elon's definition. Year one, we didn't go even though the SC we needed was to have been built that quarter. Year two the SC still wasn't built so we added a hotel stay to charge, and year three we skipped going again because that SC *still* isn't built.
Thanks for this. I would still rather be in your situation. My EPA rating is 460km (using 20" Induction wheels) and I'm using the smaller battery from Shanghai. I also only charge to 80% so I should get a theoretical range of 368km. This week, I've been getting 182wh/km (291.2wh/mi), which isn't terrible but not great.

Based on the photos attached, I'm getting terrible range. I can hit 250km (156 miles) , but that's ONLY if I go down to 0% (starting off at 80%). The temperature is only 11degC (52deg F). That leads to me 2 questions:

1) At what temperature will I start seeing range degradation? I'd figure that 11deg C wouldn't cause range loss but I'm not sure.
2) My driving habits only involve me driving my daughter to and from daycare. This is a total of 10kms per day, but I will make the odd errands but not much. On average, I'm only driving 10kms per day; does that give me worse range given that I'm only driving short periods?

Attachments

• 20231113_215829.jpg
    20231113_215829.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20231113_215836.jpg
    20231113_215836.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231113_215843.jpg
    20231113_215843.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 43
This week, I've been getting 182wh/km (291.2wh/mi), which isn't terrible but not great.

Based on the photos attached, I'm getting terrible range. I can hit 250km (156 miles) , but that's ONLY if I go down to 0% (starting off at 80%). The temperature is only 11degC (52deg F). That leads to me 2 questions:

1) At what temperature will I start seeing range degradation? I'd figure that 11deg C wouldn't cause range loss but I'm not sure.

2) My driving habits only involve me driving my daughter to and from daycare. This is a total of 10kms per day, but I will make the odd errands but not much. On average, I'm only driving 10kms per day; does that give me worse range given that I'm only driving short periods?

My lifetime (over 64K KM) is 170 wh/km. (I checked the other day while riding in the car when I first read your post so this isn't a guess!)

That is over 3 full winters, 2 of those with winter tires (which will hit your range as well as the temperature but I already knew that from my Prius which was the first car I owned where I obsessively tracked my mileage.)

We are a single-car family but all driver profiles are set to Chill. Our old bones can't take the pressure if we boot it, even when braced for the force. Plus it scares the grandkids.

As it is our only car, it is a decent mix of highway and city driving. Four 3500+ KM road trips, six trips of 700km round trip to a rental cottaage, and a few day trips from Ottawa to Peterborough. Our son lives an hour away via 100 kph and 80 kph highway and there are a significant number of trips out there, plus trips down to the Seaway so I can see ocean going ships. The joy of an EV is that day trips like that cost so little because the charging is all done at home (even Peterborough only includes one SC so is about $20.) The rental cottage trips are basically free as the return trip is powered by the free L1 charging from the cottage.

Now to your questions:

1. I'd say probably 15*C is where I notice range start to drop. My best drives ever have been on the highway when it is over 30*C outside. Even with the a/c blasting fully the whole way, we posted 105% efficiency one day when the outside temp was 35. We are lucky our car is kept in a heated apartment garage (but limited to L1 charging as a result) but in all cases we are sure to precondition before we leave on a trip. It does make a difference.

2. Yes, short runs give you terrible range. After about 6 months we signed up for Teslafi and so I can give you some real examples. (The details on my model are in my signature. and I have 19" wheels, both summer and winter.)

My drive to church is ~5km. On October 15 the outside temp was between 8 - 10 and the average efficiency for that trip was 76%. BUT it was 58% on the way there and 111% on the way back because of the topography of the route.

On October 17 I had a ton of long and short runs within the city (my daughter lives car-free so I had to run errands with her), She lives 17 km away in the city with over half that being at freeway speeds. The difference in efficiency is amazing between the longer highway routes (obviously at higher speeds) and in her area (at 40 - 50 kph.) Basically the short runs in her area were at 63% efficiency, the longer runs were at 80 - 90% efficiency. Amusingly the highway trip home was 93% efficiency but it took 47 minutes. She lives 22 minutes away (on average) but it was rush hour. My efficiency for the day was 92% over 72 km thanks to the long highway drives in slow traffic (average temp was 15.)

In general, I never think about my range in the city because I know I'll recharge before the next day, but looking at my October drives, on an above average October temp day, I'm looking at about 60% efficiency.

When I'm planning road trips, I plan on 80 - 85% efficiency but those are all between May and October. One's speed makes a huge difference so that lower number is for freeways, the higher number is for undivided highways.

Now let's look at the hit winter will give you:

January 15, 2022, average temp for the day was -20*C, my efficiency on the drive to my son's (half freeway, half undivided highway) was 53%. It was sunny and -24 on the way there. The full day's efficiency was 54% including some errands run on the way home. The exact same route at -1% gave me 83%. At 24* in June, that was 86% efficiency. The latter two are without winter tires, for reference. I can't think of a day I've done that trip that was exceptionally warm but with winter tires on, so can't see the range hit from winter tires. In the Prius it was at least 7%.

Over the first year of owning your car, you'll get a sense of what your range is and that part of range anxiety will go away except during power failures and on long road trips. On road trips, you'll get used to making changes to your routes so that you can hit Superchargers, And you will grumble about how the Tesla Fan Boys never seem to have ever wanted to drive somewhere without L3 charging options so they dismiss your range concerns out of hand.

My first road trip with the car was to the rental cottage. We had to come back 85% of the way home for a Celebration of Life in the middle of our stay. We got the car to 100% to leave but then, after driving 2.5 hours to the event, we had to drive another 30 minutes to our city's supercharger so that we could get back to the cottage. There are no L3 chargers between the cottage and the city. My Tesla doesn't have the range to drive for 5 hours without charging (and all planning software stressed that to me.)

A Tesla fan boy will tell you there's no need to be concerned, that you can go anywhere with a Tesla that you can with an ICE but they are incorrect.

The fact that NS had, for my first 4 trips there, only one supercharger in the province (and that wasn't even inside the city of Halifax) is beyond their comprehension. But it meant while I could go to Halifax without any problem, vast swaths of the province were inaccessible to me due to no charging infrastructure. Halifax to Liverpool (a lovely day trip to visit family) is a 350km round trip from the AirBnB I use (partly because it gives me free L1 charging.) While technically I could do it, with the 50km range left, that assumes I leave at 100% and don't plan to use the car for the next couple of days (due to the L1 charging speed.) Last time I checked there are no public L3 chargers within Halifax but when I was planning this trip, the CCS adapter wasn't out yet so I couldn't use them even if they existed. The only other alternative would be the 50km detour on my return, out to Enfield to the Supercharger. That would add an hour to a long day trip.

Tesla's are far closer to perfect than other EVs due to the charging network. But they are still imperfect if you intend to take your vehicle beyond the areas of Canada deemed Supercharger worthy. I have a CCS adapter now but when I went to use it on my last road trip, the station I pulled into wasn't working so I ended up diverting to a Supercharger. That reinforced how a Tesla is the best EV for Canada but it also reinforced how I can't count on non-Tesla L3 charging networks so an EV is unsuitable for people who want to travel our vast country by car.

but it also reinforced how I can't count on non-Tesla L3 charging networks so an EV is unsuitable for people who want to travel our vast country by car.

It is silly to write off the entire CCS network because one plug did not work for you one time.

I do agree that the CCS network is less reliable than the Supercharger network. Prudent planning would suggest that longer charging sessions than anticipated might come up on long trips. I'll go just about anywhere in a Tesla, albeit not on a rigid time schedule.

Reactions: Rocky_H and hydro
It is silly to write off the entire CCS network because one plug did not work for you one time.

I do agree that the CCS network is less reliable than the Supercharger network. Prudent planning would suggest that longer charging sessions than anticipated might come up on long trips. I'll go just about anywhere in a Tesla, albeit not on a rigid time schedule.

I'm not writing off the whole network, just 20 - 25% (according to the JD Powers survey, backed up with a testing of over 100 chargers in LA by a journalist.) The problem is, one never knows which 20% isn't working. Although Plugshare is a very good resource it isn't helpful if no-one has recently used the charger one needs in the next few hours. And if you are traveling on a less-used corridor, that is very likely.

I'm not writing off the whole network, just 20 - 25% (according to the JD Powers survey, backed up with a testing of over 100 chargers in LA by a journalist.) The problem is, one never knows which 20% isn't working. Although Plugshare is a very good resource it isn't helpful if no-one has recently used the charger one needs in the next few hours. And if you are traveling on a less-used corridor, that is very likely.

Just a heads up Sue. We have used FLO stations all across Canada and never had a failure on CCS or Chademo. It’s worth getting the app and RFID card. Pretty quick connect and excellent reliability.

Cheers.

Reactions: hydro