Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Standard RWD Model Y vs. Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone driven the RWD car yet? Do you think it will drive much different than the long range model y? I ask because I am on fence to upgrade but no showrooms have the new RWD Model Y. I drove the long range and loved it but am wondering if you think the lower acceleration and RWD vs AWD will make the drive alot different? The 0-60 diff is about 1.5 seconds...

If you only plan to use your Model Y to go to the grocey store, you will not find too much difference.
But as soon as you will be driving on a curvy road, or just when you will need an extra boost to pass a big truck,
you will really feel, and certainly enjoy, having more power, especially considering the weight of the car.

Getting lower stress on the rear powertrain and tires, an extra 70 miles of range, and better resale value, would be also something to consider.
Best would be to test drive each version to decide if the additional $5k or 10% increase will be worthwhile.
If the Model Y RWD is not available for testing, rental companies like Hertz might have one.

Last edited:
I have had the RWD LFP Battery (Shanghai built) for 3-months now, and I only have good things to say about it.

So far I have loved the range fidelity (unless someone drives like an idiot). Also, the RWD is probably not as planted as the AWD.
But, Tesla's traction control system, although intrusive, does a great job to keep you as stable as possible even if you punch the car while turning.

Like @EVChris said above, the RWD is a quite a sleeper and still packs a decent punch compared to 80% cars on the road!

3-months on, I still look forward to every drive in this car. I call it the "Highway Bully", that beats above its weight!

Cheers,
N

Reactions: EVChris
As said above already, the LR only gets 70 more miles when it’s fully charged. But, it shouldn’t. However, the RWD model has LFP and can be fully charged without similar battery degradation hit. So, day-to-day difference with regards to range is not much difference.

Just consider how much you need RWD vs AWD and the faster acceleration.