Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help regarding Model Y RWD vs AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That link didn’t take me to a comparison of the two trim levels.
Try this link Vehicle Comparison Selector – TeslaTap, or check out the attachment. The RWDY has LFP Chinese batteries from BYD @ $56 per KW and the YLR has NCA Telsa/Panasonic Batteries.

1714186635031.png

Attachments

• Comparo YLR to RWDY 2024.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: branden
This info may be true in some parts of the world but is not correct for the US Market and the OP is based in California. In the US, there are no Model Ys with LFP battery packs.

The new Model Y RWD launched in the US retails for $43,990, which is $3,750 less than the discontinued Model Y AWD. It also benefits from the full $7,500 tax credit, which means Tesla either makes the battery pack in North America or can use the same trick it used with the Model 3 RWD built in Fremont with an LFP pack imported from China. The Model Y RWD has 260 miles (418 km) of range, 19 miles (31 km) less than the AWD model discontinued last month. It's also more sluggish, with a 0-60 mph (97 kph) time of 6.6 seconds compared to 5.0 seconds

You may be right they only mention Lithium-Ion, in the EPA report, but aren't both LFP and NCA both considered Lithium-Ion?

Why would the charging curve be so crappy with the RWDY then? Maxing @ 170kW, verses 250kW for the LRY?

Note the rear motor power in the RWDY is 203 kW or 272 HP versus 384 HP in the LRY

• Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) – LFP. LiFePO4 is one of the most recent cathode materials to be introduced. As of 2017, LiFePO4 is a candidate for large-scale production of lithium-ion batteries, such as electric vehicle applications, due to its low cost, excellent safety, and high cycle durability. The energy density of an LFP battery is lower than that of other common lithium-ion battery types, such as Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC). Because of their lower cost, high safety, low toxicity, long cycle life, and other factors, LFP batteries are finding a number of roles in vehicle use, utility-scale stationary applications, and backup power. Working voltage = 3.0 ~ 3.3 V. Cycle life ranges from 2,700 to more than 10,000 cycles depending on conditions.
  • Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (LiNiCoAlO2) – NCA. In 1999, Lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide battery, or NCA, appeared in some special applications, and it is similar to the NMC. It offers high specific energy, a long life span, and a reasonably good specific power. NCA’s usable charge storage capacity is about 180 to 200 mAh/g. The capacity of NCA is significantly higher than that of alternative materials such as LiCoO2 with 148 mAh/g, LiFePO4 with 165 mAh/g, and NMC 333 (LiNi0,33Mn0,33Co0,33O2)with 170 mAh/g. The voltage of these batteries is between 3.6 V and 4.0 V, at a nominal voltage of 3.6 V or 3.7 V. Another advantage of NCA is its excellent fast charging capability. Nevertheless, its weak points are the limited resources of cobalt and nickel and the high cost.

Last edited:

The new Model Y RWD launched in the US retails for $43,990, which is $3,750 less than the discontinued Model Y AWD. It also benefits from the full $7,500 tax credit, which means Tesla either makes the battery pack in North America or can use the same trick it used with the Model 3 RWD built in Fremont with an LFP pack imported from China. The Model Y RWD has 260 miles (418 km) of range, 19 miles (31 km) less than the AWD model discontinued last month. It's also more sluggish, with a 0-60 mph (97 kph) time of 6.6 seconds compared to 5.0 seconds
There is no trick with the RWD Model 3 as it is *not* eligible for the Fed tax credit because it uses an LFP pack made in China.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
There is no trick with the RWD Model 3 as it is *not* eligible for the Fed tax credit because it uses an LFP pack made in China.
I didn't write that, it's a direct lift from the article I posted from AutoEvolution source document I linked to.

All Model Y's are eligible for the $7500 if your income is within the range, and even if you make over the income range if you lease you get the full $7500 credit anyway, its just spread evenly over the lease payments.

I bought both a Model LRX and LRY this year, so we had to put one in my son's name so he could get the credit, and one in my wife's name, so she could get the credit. If I get a LRS this year, I will lease it so I can get the Tesla lease incentive of $7500, but we may hold to see if the CT shows up.

Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla vehicle and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500, which can be deducted from the purchase price at time of delivery for eligible cash or financing purchases through Tesla. Customers are limited to two time-of-sale tax credits per year.

Tax Credit for Each Vehicle:

• Model 3 Performance: $7,500
  • Model X Dual Motor: $7,500
  • 2024 Model Y Rear-Wheel Drive: $7,500
  • Model Y Long Range: $7,500
  • Model Y Performance: $7,500
AGI Limitations

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers
Price Caps

The vehicle MSRP at time of delivery must not exceed the following caps. This price includes optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery and excludes software features, accessories, taxes and fees.

The following models currently qualify for federal tax credits for eligible buyers who meet all other federal requirements (including AGI limitations):

Price caps set by the federal government are subject to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: mborkow