Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help regarding Model Y RWD vs AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I’m having trouble getting answers to some (seemingly) basic questions regarding the model Y. Trying to decide between the RWD and AWD atm.

1) Is the list of differences between a 2024 RWD and AWD the following: Battery capacity, Charge Speed, Drivetrain/acceleration, Audio system, and parcel shelf. Is there anything else I’m missing? One Tesla sales rep told me power folding and heated side mirrors were also exclusive to AWD but I don’t seem to find that anywhere.

2) is the battery for the 2024 a software locked LR battery? I know there was discussion on this forum but I don’t see any definitive answers

3) it seems from YouTube tests that the Berlin RWD only has a 10% (rather than 20% like Tesla claims) shorter range from the AWD and shows a high level of efficiency. Does the same apply to the US model? Or is that due to weight savings from LFP specifically

4) where is the US RWD and AWD produced? Do both models come with Matrix headlights?

5) This last one is just looking for advice. The difference between RWD and AWD for me would be about 5k. I’m cost conscious so I’d rather not spend that money if I don’t have to. At the same time because I am getting free supercharging and plan to charge away from home (no charging at my condo) I feel like I might miss the extra range and charging speed. Then again, if the difference is minimal in light of the charge curve and higher efficiency I’d probably save the money.

Thanks in advance

Hello

I’m having trouble getting answers to some (seemingly) basic questions regarding the model Y. Trying to decide between the RWD and AWD atm.

1) Is the list of differences between a 2024 RWD and AWD the following: Battery capacity, Charge Speed, Drivetrain/acceleration, Audio system, and parcel shelf. Is there anything else I’m missing? One Tesla sales rep told me power folding and heated side mirrors were also exclusive to AWD but I don’t seem to find that anywhere.

2) is the battery for the 2024 a software locked LR battery? I know there was discussion on this forum but I don’t see any definitive answers

3) it seems from YouTube tests that the Berlin RWD only has a 10% (rather than 20% like Tesla claims) shorter range from the AWD and shows a high level of efficiency. Does the same apply to the US model? Or is that due to weight savings from LFP specifically

4) where is the US RWD and AWD produced? Do both models come with Matrix headlights?

5) This last one is just looking for advice. The difference between RWD and AWD for me would be about 5k. I’m cost conscious so I’d rather not spend that money if I don’t have to. At the same time because I am getting free supercharging and plan to charge away from home (no charging at my condo) I feel like I might miss the extra range and charging speed. Then again, if the difference is minimal in light of the charge curve and higher efficiency I’d probably save the money.

Thanks in advance

2) If they are different batteries (LFP vs Nickel or 4680 vs 2170), I don't think there's an incentive for software enabled capacity. The type of battery dictates what the capacity is. It's physics/chemistry, not software.

3). I have no idea what YouTube said, but LFP is heavier, occupies more space, thus it's ideal for shorter range model.

4) If it's 4680, that's Texas. No idea about headlights.

5) Range is King. I've heard regrets for buying shorter range but never from those who complain that they have too much range.

The advertised range is actually shorter in the first place so if you want that advertised short range, you'd better pay more for the advertised long range to compensate in real life driving.

I don’t think the All Wheel Drive model is being produced. That appears to have been a limited run made in Austin. At the moment, there are RWD, Long Range, and Performance Ys. None of them have LFP battery chemistry and none of them are 4680s. It’s believed that the RWD has the same battery pack as the LR but that it is software locked…but I don’t think that’s been confirmed. The parcel shelf is missing from RWD and sound system is different (6 fewer speakers, only 1 amp, and no sub). In addition, the fog lights aren’t exposed in the software of the car to turn them on. I’m not sure about charging speeds but I doubt Tesla would artificially restrict the RWD to 170 kW…that would just slow down how fast they can take our money.

I don't get why people who ask about the RWD battery pack care if it is software limited since how does that help you?. Is the assumption just for peace of mind that if it had a long range battery pack but can't access it that the wear leveling among the battery pack will be better?

If you cannot use it then why does it matter if it has a smaller battery pack. To be honest if there is no way to unlock the remaining battery pack if the RWD had the same battery pack of a long range model then I would much rather lose the extra battery pack weight that I cannot access so that it wouldn't hurt my range.

I don't get why people who ask about the RWD battery pack care if it is software limited since how does that help you?. Is the assumption just for peace of mind that if it had a long range battery pack but can't access it that the wear leveling among the battery pack will be better?

If you cannot use it then why does it matter if it has a smaller battery pack. To be honest if there is no way to unlock the remaining battery pack if the RWD had the same battery pack of a long range model then I would much rather lose the extra battery pack weight that I cannot access so that it wouldn't hurt my range.
It has to do with the 80% charge recommendation. Charge curve on the RWD was showing that at 91% of the software locked capacity it was actually at 80% of the battery. In addition, it was rumored that the low end was also locked. This meant you could use more of the capacity on a daily basis and almost match a LRs recommend daily useage. If all worked as thought, the LR would really only have an advantage when charged to 100% before a long trip.

At the same time because I am getting free supercharging and plan to charge away from home (no charging at my condo) I feel like I might miss the extra range and charging speed. Then again, if the difference is minimal in light of the charge curve and higher efficiency I’d probably save the money.
I have a Dec 2023 built RWD with 2500 miles that I've only supercharged since day 1. It's a pain in the ass. I would get the LR to cut down on trips to the charger since you can't charge at home. After the last couple months, I honestly wouldn't get an EV that I couldn't charge at home.

I did however just put a deposit down on a LR Y yesterday. We'll charge this one at home especially since we won't have the free supercharging.

I have a Dec 2023 built RWD with 2500 miles that I've only supercharged since day 1. It's a pain in the ass. I would get the LR to cut down on trips to the charger since you can't charge at home. After the last couple months, I honestly wouldn't get an EV that I couldn't charge at home.

I did however just put a deposit down on a LR Y yesterday. We'll charge this one at home especially since we won't have the free supercharging.
What kW do you usually top at when SuC?

I did however just put a deposit down on a LR Y yesterday. We'll charge this one at home especially since we won't have the free
Without a
Without a a home charger, ICE would be a better option.

You all know that at any point all this is obsolete that is why if you go to a Tesla center they can not give you a definitive answer, you know what you get when you receive your car, if you don't like what you get you leave it there.

I hace a 2023 MY AWD DUAL Motor (SR) and it is fantastic. I don't have any issues with range, in fact I actually set my daily charing to 50% and charge each night at my house on my level 2 charger. I think this is a great car. People often say "range is king," but if you don't use / need the extra range, it's not really an issue. I personally didn't qualify for the tax rebate so I bought a used version of this car, and am very happy with it. If you get a good deal on a SR model and deepening on your use case (can you charge at home, do you take a lot of cross country road trips, etc?) the SR may work really great for you.

Reactions: Skavatar

I would not recommend getting a pure EV, LR or not, if you do not have home overnight charging. ICE or hybrid works better in this case.
On the flip side, if you have home overnight charging, it is really about the same for the LR and SR as to daily commute. Even if you are doing a road trip, the real-world range difference between a 2023 RWD and LR is about 20 miles.

So, my recommendation is to go with the RWD if you have home charging. otherwise, forget about pure EV. Additionally, it looks like 2024 RWD has a smaller battery pack at 66kwh compared to 78kwh (locked at 70kwh) 2023 MY RWD.

Last edited:
I don’t think the All Wheel Drive model is being produced. That appears to have been a limited run made in Austin. At the moment, there are RWD, Long Range, and Performance Ys. None of them have LFP battery chemistry and none of them are 4680s. It’s believed that the RWD has the same battery pack as the LR but that it is software locked…but I don’t think that’s been confirmed. The parcel shelf is missing from RWD and sound system is different (6 fewer speakers, only 1 amp, and no sub). In addition, the fog lights aren’t exposed in the software of the car to turn them on. I’m not sure about charging speeds but I doubt Tesla would artificially restrict the RWD to 170 kW…that would just slow down how fast they can take our money.
Our RWD Y has a peak charge of 250-IAH and is strong deep into the pack. (my RWD 3 is ~170 peak and quicker drop off…the difference is noticeable to the point that the Y is probably quicker overall on road trips). The missing parcel shelf is $85 on Tesla app. We don’t miss the speakers or sub. Don’t need fog lights. Had to buy floor mats +$200. I think the Y rides a bit better on rough pavement vs LR Y without the extra motor up front (from demo drive).

I think the Y rides a bit better on rough pavement vs LR Y without the extra motor up front (from demo drive).
For sure my RWD Y rides better than the LR and AWD variants I test drove last summer. Knocking a couple hundred pounds off the front axel probably helps a lot.

BTW, if your RWD Y is a 2023, I think you should have premium sound (with all 13 speakers and the subwoofer; mine does).

Reactions: Patrick_TX
Glad to hear others felt the same. Wife said I was crazy and just wanted to save the $5000 difference (& not untrue).
My wife is actually the one who pointed out how nicely the RWD Y rides when we were on a nasty stretch of freeway…she also test drove Model Ys with me last summer (I though I’d get a 3 and she’d get a Y) but she didn’t get a Y because of the harsh ride. She mentioned the other day that if the ones she had test driven rode as nicely as mine she’d have bought it (she ended up getting a BMW X3 instead).