Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Story: 3 kids, a Model S, cancelling my Model X, and a...Volvo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who is considering something other than the MX, should also consider the upcoming Pacifica PHEV minivan which has a much larger battery than the Volvo and was designed to be driven in all electric for its 30 mile range before using gas engine.

Yes, that was mentioned upthread but referred to as the "Town and Country", which has been rebranded Pacifica.

I absolutely love the functionality of that thing. If it every becomes a BEV with a charging network and extended range... sigh. Well, someday.

Anyone who is considering something other than the MX, should also consider the upcoming Pacifica PHEV minivan which has a much larger battery than the Volvo and was designed to be driven in all electric for its 30 mile range before using gas engine.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: More Details On 30-Mile Plug-In

Mikejr74 how is the performance of the Volvo when it is in all electric mode?
@mikevbf to give you a direct answer, it is very good and getting better as we learn the systems.

Background: the XC90 is the wife's vehicle, so my driving of it is very limited. However, I have the Volvo app to review each trips data. My wife has never driven a hybrid or bev, so I am teaching her the nuances since I have had a hybrid for a couple years. She has a very predictable routine, so it affords us to do comparative analysis of the same routes with different driving modes.

Unless the vehicle is placed in 'Save' mode, it always drives on battery first. It is only when the driver needs extra acceleration or the battery drains significantly that the ICE kicks in. There is a gauge that is very similar to a tach. It displays the energy available from the battery and the instantaneous energy being used like a tach needle. Only when the energy demand exceeds the battery, does the ICE turn on.

Each of the driving modes basically shift the energy point where the ICE kicks in. For example, 'Save' is pretty much all ICE and 'Pure' is all battery unless you may the accelerator.

The acceleration from the rwd electric motor is very acceptable for normal driving. We live off of a stretch of road where the speed limit in 55mph. There is no issue accelerating up to the speed limit. Nor, is there any issue of lagging traffic when starting from a stop at a traffic light.

Range is as rated and exceeds the 17 miles that Volvo states. There is a route that she drives that is 19 miles one way. So, we have been using this as a test for battery range. She has now exceeded 19 miles on the battery charge. It has been because of modifying her driving style. Early on, she drove at 64mph with cruise control like she did with her old ICE. The ICE had to kick in after a little over 17 miles.

I had her modify her driving style to drive without cruise control and let the vehicle roll more frequently, while still maintaining her normal speed. That helped by regenerating significantly more energy than cruise control did. That got her to the 19 mile mark with no remaining battery, so hybrid had to kick in on the return trip. So, 100% battery for 19 miles, hybrid for the return and 25mpg ICE.

Then, I had her reduce her speed from 64mph to 55mph. I asked her how the trip was and she responded 'it took longer than normal'. lol. Anyway, she travelled all 19 miles on 100% battery. On the return, she still had battery energy to increase the return trip to 32 mpg.

So far, she LOVES the comfort of the XC90 as well as the fact that the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat for carrying cargo.

I have so far only spoken about the longer route she makes. But, most of the time she stays within a 7 mile radius of the house. So, a majority of her driving has been 100% battery and 0% ICE. She is used to driving an Infiniti FX35 for the last 8+ years. She says the drive is more comfortable in the Volvo and the all battery driving around town is virtually identical.

As to Power, when you decide to go, It Goes! 400 HP and 493 ft lbs of torque is remarkable for a 7 passenger SUV.

I see why this is the 2016 Truck of the Year. Safety, Comfort, Energy Efficiency, Fit and Finish and Power are remarkable.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: More Details On 30-Mile Plug-In

Mikejr74 how is the performance of the Volvo when it is in all electric mode?
@mikevbf the Pacifica has 260 HP hybrid system. The Volvo is 400HP hybrid system. The ICE alone, in the Volvo, is 290 HP and rated 24mpg.

@mikevbf to give you a direct answer, it is very good and getting better as we learn the systems.

Background: the XC90 is the wife's vehicle, so my driving of it is very limited. However, I have the Volvo app to review each trips data. My wife has never driven a hybrid or bev, so I am teaching her the nuances since I have had a hybrid for a couple years. She has a very predictable routine, so it affords us to do comparative analysis of the same routes with different driving modes.

Unless the vehicle is placed in 'Save' mode, it always drives on battery first. It is only when the driver needs extra acceleration or the battery drains significantly that the ICE kicks in. There is a gauge that is very similar to a tach. It displays the energy available from the battery and the instantaneous energy being used like a tach needle. Only when the energy demand exceeds the battery, does the ICE turn on.

Each of the driving modes basically shift the energy point where the ICE kicks in. For example, 'Save' is pretty much all ICE and 'Pure' is all battery unless you may the accelerator.

The acceleration from the rwd electric motor is very acceptable for normal driving. We live off of a stretch of road where the speed limit in 55mph. There is no issue accelerating up to the speed limit. Nor, is there any issue of lagging traffic when starting from a stop at a traffic light.

Range is as rated and exceeds the 17 miles that Volvo states. There is a route that she drives that is 19 miles one way. So, we have been using this as a test for battery range. She has now exceeded 19 miles on the battery charge. It has been because of modifying her driving style. Early on, she drove at 64mph with cruise control like she did with her old ICE. The ICE had to kick in after a little over 17 miles.

I had her modify her driving style to drive without cruise control and let the vehicle roll more frequently, while still maintaining her normal speed. That helped by regenerating significantly more energy than cruise control did. That got her to the 19 mile mark with no remaining battery, so hybrid had to kick in on the return trip. So, 100% battery for 19 miles, hybrid for the return and 25mpg ICE.

Then, I had her reduce her speed from 64mph to 55mph. I asked her how the trip was and she responded 'it took longer than normal'. lol. Anyway, she travelled all 19 miles on 100% battery. On the return, she still had battery energy to increase the return trip to 32 mpg.

So far, she LOVES the comfort of the XC90 as well as the fact that the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat for carrying cargo.

I have so far only spoken about the longer route she makes. But, most of the time she stays within a 7 mile radius of the house. So, a majority of her driving has been 100% battery and 0% ICE. She is used to driving an Infiniti FX35 for the last 8+ years. She says the drive is more comfortable in the Volvo and the all battery driving around town is virtually identical.

As to Power, when you decide to go, It Goes! 400 HP and 493 ft lbs of torque is remarkable for a 7 passenger SUV.

I see why this is the 2016 Truck of the Year. Safety, Comfort, Energy Efficiency, Fit and Finish and Power are remarkable.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you really like it and are finding ways to reduce your gas consumption by fitting it to how your wife drives . Glad to hear the Volvo is working so well for you and the wife.

Does the Volvo give you any permanent stats on how much ICE vs Eectric miles you've driven?

It's almost like there should be an odometer for electric only miles. Then perhaps a regular odometer for all miles.

You could drive that car theoretically forever and never have the ice even turn on. The engine could stay "brand new" even after several years and you might want to show that if you ever wanted to sell the car

Does the Volvo give you any permanent stats on how much ICE vs Eectric miles you've driven?

It's almost like there should be an odometer for electric only miles. Then perhaps a regular odometer for all miles.

You could drive that car theoretically forever and never have the ice even turn on. The engine could stay "brand new" even after several years and you might want to show that if you ever wanted to sell the car
@Superloud Yes, it does.

There is a lot of information that is stored in the vehicle and via the Volvo On Call App. As far as mileage, there is the required Federal Odometer, a manually resettable Tripometer (TM) and an automatically resettable Current Trip (TA) that resets four hours after the last vehicle movement stopped.

For energy consumption, it does break down Gallons Used, KWh Used, KWh Regenerated. The App has an electronic Trip Journal for every trip. A separate entry is created after the vehicle is powered down.

It also has a non resettable Dashboard Log that is overall performance that shows Odometer reading, Life MPGe, miles driven on gas, MPG gas, miles driven on battery, KWh Used, Kwh Generated.

There are the trip maps which you can pull up, click on and see the performance at any point of a trip. And, the energy log shows the W/mile used and generated and can be scaled to 1min, 5min, 20min, hourly.

I'm sure there is more, but this is what we have found so far in the first six days.

Great discussion. We've considered a XC90 PHEV as a replacement for my wife's ML350. My LX570 has become not much more than a boat hauler a couple of times each year so we're looking at something for her than can also tow the boats. The ML350 is a bit squirrelly for that. The XC90 does better and reports are that the MX does relatively well too. The GLE550e (or GLC350e) would be a contender but MB aren't bringing those in to the U.S. so no Mercedes for us.

We have a similar roof box problem since without the LX we'd be going back to using my wife's car for ski weekends and thus need our roof box for skis and other stuff.

How does the AWD do in the snow with and without battery available? Any change? How does it compare to other vehicles?

What is the physical/linkage configuration? Rear drive motor? Parallel motor/ice in front?

Our Volvo dealer said that top speed with electric was 40 and then the ICE kicks in but your comments above sound different?

Interesting that you got 19. Our dealer said reality was about 12 on electric. Maybe they just drive too fast.

Our Volvo dealer said that top speed with electric was 40 and then the ICE kicks in but your comments above sound different?

Limit is 75, but real-world unless you baby it, the ICE will kick in sooner. Also, the ICE is 316 HP, not 290 as stated upthread. 400 combined HP, 0-60 in 5.3s.

Interesting thread. We're in a very similar boat to the OP--2 girls vs 3, but otherwise remarkably similar. We canceled our X deposit after the 'Meet the X' event and put a deposit down on an XC90 T8, to arrive late summer. Will hopefully become Tesla owners with the Model 3. In the meantime I wish Tesla luck with the X; it just isn't for us.

It is smaller, yes. 13.2 gallons vs 18.8 on the T6. Given that the battery had to go somewhere, though, I like Volvo's choice here. Smaller gas tank, different AWD structure, but no infringing on passenger space. Compare this to the BMW X5, whose PHEV version has no third row.

I can't imagine driving a car like the Volvo in electric mode, hitting the gas to accelerate, and then having to wait a second for the ICE to turn on, hit the right gear, and finally start to go. It must feel so much slower than the 0-60 of 5.3 would indicate. I'm glad it works for some of you, but I would rather stick bamboo under my fingernails....

I can't imagine driving a car like the Volvo in electric mode, hitting the gas to accelerate, and then having to wait a second for the ICE to turn on, hit the right gear, and finally start to go. It must feel so much slower than the 0-60 of 5.3 would indicate. I'm glad it works for some of you, but I would rather stick bamboo under my fingernails....
Without having driven it, I'm guessing it's much more seamless than that. The hybrid rentals I've driven have kicked in and out noticeably, but not with an impact on acceleration or driving; just the audible thing takes me off guard.

In a similar boat, cancelled X after meet event. However, we are just going to wait. March 31 will be the start of a lot of new information. We have Mom in the Model S since 2012 as she puts on serious miles. Dad bikes to work, and we use AWD Sprinter for utility vehicle/camper/bike/ski/surf/SUP. XC90 would be terrible for us in that role and reality is 12 miles of EV for a more complex vehicle seems absurd. We are likely to trade up for an AWD MS (100kw??) this year as kids have 2 more years of jump seat ability (with an 8 passenger alternative vehicle) and wait for Tesla to announce the certain-to-happen folding seats and/or different doors/reliable doors. Elon, we love you man (kinda in an unhealthy way) and stand by you but all we really wanted was a taller Model S that spun those jumpseats 180 degrees and grew them to mini-adult size. Oh, and it would have been cheaper/sooner too. It's OK to admit it!!

Thanks for the links. Pretty good coverage of the car on the reviews. The engines seem a bit small for the full size SUV class.

Isn't the fuel tank on the XC90 Hybrid very small? Combined max range(miles) with a fully charged battery and (filled with gas) ICE would be how many miles?

They claim 59 combined MPG in city. So a 13 gal tank shall go 767 city miles
Highway rating however should mostly be gas. At the rated 27 mpg, it should go atleast 350 miles.

They claim 59 combined MPG in city. So a 13 gal tank shall go 767 city miles
Highway rating however should mostly be gas. At the rated 27 mpg, it should go atleast 350 miles.

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm actually picking up a XC90 T8 tomorrow. And, like Zaxxon, expecting to get a M3 later.

That 59 number is actually the "eMPG" rating that was published all over the place before they had actual efficiency ratings available. So from what I can tell, it has no actual real bearing on range and mileage (unless you like thinking of electric motor efficiency in terms of gallons of gas, which I find weird).

The actual published rating is 24 mpg city, and 27 mpg highway.

So imagine a all-at-once "city" drive (with no charging) would be more like apprx 15-20 miles on battery, plus another 300 or so in gas/hybrid. Although I can't imagine driving for 320+ miles straight in the city :)