Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorcyclist Hostility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving I-95 MIA-FLL for a year now, and today for the first time had a motorcycle whack my driver's mirror as he raced between lanes in stop and go traffic. I hit the save icon but can't find the clip.

As there is no damage fortunately, I wonder if this sort of thing is reportable (or of interest to police)? Also, is there a rise in this sort of aggressive behavior?

OP is in Florida. They don't have to make space since lane-splitting is illegal.

I'm with Cheburashka: it's just an asshole on two wheels.

There are lots of things we might not have to do, but this would seem to be a strange one to take a stand on IMO. I’m generally a fan of making space for things that might crash into my expensive aluminum car.

Certainly don’t disagree that in any case we’re talking about a two-wheeled cockstain. Just offering some perspective on the possible source of aggravation. The S is a wide car and autopilot is particularly indifferent about making space for lane splitters. I’ve seen more than one biker perceive that as some sort of aggression and respond in kind.

I just had the same experience. 5 guys road by in a mini-gang, and appeared to take offense that AP was riding down the center. They whacked the right mirror out of place. It would be cool if AP eased to the side a bit, similar to new behavior with semi-trucks.

About 5 miles later they were all stopped on the side of road, but I thought it best not to stop and say hello.

There are lots of things we might not have to do, but this would seem to be a strange one to take a stand on IMO. I’m generally a fan of making space for things that might crash into my expensive aluminum car.

Certainly don’t disagree that in any case we’re talking about a two-wheeled cockstain. Just offering some perspective on the possible source of aggravation. The S is a wide car and autopilot is particularly indifferent about making space for lane splitters. I’ve seen more than one biker perceive that as some sort of aggression and respond in kind.

I agree. I have an S and I’m in CA where lane splitting is legal but I’ve always had cars that i care about so as an attentive driver i move out of the way for motorcycles when i can, especially in the carpool lane. It’s just not worth them accidentally clipping your mirror or worse.

Most of the time i get thrown a “peace” sign or wave from them when i move over (since most drivers don’t pay enough attention) which lets me know they appreciate it!

It would be great if AP did this automatically, but as we all know this might not happen for a while. And in my case with AP1, it will never happen

Again. OP is in Florida. Lane-splitting is irrelevant.

There's no making room. It's the same for all road users. Stay in your lane and don't drift, so other road users aren't worried that you're a danger.

If he damages your car and you have video, definitely go to the police.

Tesla dashcam captures motorcyclist intentionally snapping off mirror, police find him
https://electrek.co/2019/10/07/tesla-dashcam-motorcyclist-snap-off-mirror-police/

McGowen gave the videos to the police and shared them on social media.

They quickly became popular, and the police also found them useful. McGowen said yesterday:

"I just received a call from the officer that the TeslaCam/dashcam videos were successfully able to ID the cyclist, and since it’s considered vandalism, it’s now moving onto the courts. Thank you all for your support!"

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to my wife about a month ago going down the 405 South in Los Angeles. She moved into the HOV lane and saw a motorcycle headlight about 20 yards back. About 8 seconds later the MC comes up on the left side of her and pulls her side mirror forward. She was shocked as she was positive she did not cut him off, and I'm baffled at why the MC would pass on the left. Lane-splitting is no longer permitted nor enforced in Ca.

Lane splitting general guidelines

Now my wife is curious about getting a dash cam or Sentry-enabled Tesla...but we'll wait for the battery-gate issues to resolve before we give any more support to the company.

• Informative
Reactions: Flyguy and rsg123
As a former motorcycle rider I've never understood by why some people who ride turn into complete a-holes, much like alcohol turns regular people into nasty, combative drunks. It's some kind of power trip. If it's any consolation, karma eventually takes a huge dump upon the nasty, combative a-hole, separates them from their skin and and leaves them in a broken pile somewhere on the road.

Similar thing happened to my wife about a month ago going down the 405 South in Los Angeles. She moved into the HOV lane and saw a motorcycle headlight about 20 yards back. About 8 seconds later the MC comes up on the left side of her and pulls her side mirror forward. She was shocked as she was positive she did not cut him off, and I'm baffled at why the MC would pass on the left. Lane-splitting is no longer permitted nor enforced in Ca.

Lane splitting general guidelines

Now my wife is curious about getting a dash cam or Sentry-enabled Tesla...but we'll wait for the battery-gate issues to resolve before we give any more support to the company.

The MC probably passed on the left to make sure she see's that he was angry.

From the link, lane splitting is neither allowed nor prohibited.

"California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

"Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike. This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road."

To me, that means CHP will allow you to do it if it is safe.

Reactions: Puddles

"California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

"Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike. This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road."

I guess I should clarify my bewilderment about passing on the left in the HOV on the 405 South. There is no shoulder or buffer. It's just the outside line and K-rail. A vindictive or scared motorist could easily turn that MC rider into a stain on the concrete.

According to the CHP the controlling reg is the one that forbids two vehicles from occupying the same lane at the same time. If done safely they will allow lane splitting but if something happens the overtaking vehicle (the motorcycle) has the burden and is at fault.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
As a California motorcyclist and lane "splitter" I am very relieved to see the General Guidelines have been removed. Too many bikers were interpreting them as "the law" and assuming they had been granted some sort of privilege. I found it to be an entirely obnoxious display of entitlement.

I have been subject to huge internet flames when I made this point online, saying that AB51 did NOT in fact authorize or grant privilege to a motorcyclist riding between rows of cars. Text and summary can be found here.

The current contents of the General Guidelines are perfect. They basically say, don't be an asshat, and we won't prevent this. I do appreciate being able to move through slow moving traffic, and as long as I am not impacting any other motorist's passage, why not?

I certainly don't expect anyone to move aside for me. I appreciate it when motorists see me and take care, but I actually prefer them to "stand on" (to use a sailing term) rather than veer unpredictably out of the center of their lane. There is normally plenty of room for me to pass, and if there isn't, I'll wait until there is.

To the point of the thread, I'm sorry you encountered an inconsiderate rider. We're not all like that.

I agree. I have an S and I’m in CA where lane splitting is legal but I’ve always had cars that i care about so as an attentive driver i move out of the way for motorcycles when i can, especially in the carpool lane. It’s just not worth them accidentally clipping your mirror or worse.

Most of the time i get thrown a “peace” sign or wave from them when i move over (since most drivers don’t pay enough attention) which lets me know they appreciate it!

It would be great if AP did this automatically, but as we all know this might not happen for a while. And in my case with AP1, it will never happen

best part of my commute is getting the peace sign thrown down when one passes.