Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla did not save properly save video from accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was involved in a minor incident, looking for any tips on recovering the video that the Telsa improperly saved/corrupted.

• Was in a traffic incident where the side of the car was sideswiped, I honked which enabled the saving of the video.
  • The incident was a hit and run, followed the other driver for a few minutes before police caught up. Car was put into park
  • While the officer was receiving the other driver's information, I tried playing back the video of the incident on the tesla. It caught part of the video but kept cutting off the time of the actual accident. I assumed this was just due to Telsa's embarrassingly bad in-car video viewer.
  • Drove back to office (10 min drive, ), removed hard drive from car less than 1 hour after the accident.
  • Video was in the "savedclips" folder but had a couple problems. Video was saved up until ~ 15 seconds prior to the accident in 1 minute video lengths. The video which should have actually contained the accident was less than 1 second long, contained only a few frames of ~45 seconds after the video honk. Basiclly the entire video of the 1 minute time containing the accident is missing, except for a few unimportant frames at the end of the minute.
  • I checked the "RecentClips" folder, all it had was my drive to the office after the interaction with the officer.
I have filed a request online to see if tesla has any of the video clips, but this is doubtful as the Tesla did not register the accident. I am attempting to recover the deleted files on the hard drive (500GB T7), hopefully it is in the deleted recentclips and can be recovered.

Pretty frustrating that ~ 30 minutes of video was recorded of the incident except for the important 45 seconds.

Has anyone experienced something like this? It seems the dashcam is too buggy to have any value.

Anyone have any more ideas for how the video could be recovered?

Don’t know how the video can be recovered, but it seems that if you honk the horn immediately to save a clip, you risk not capturing what you intend. It is best to wait a few minutes before saving the dashcam clip so the incident is more in the middle of the clip rather than immediately before the horn is activated to save it.

Don’t know how the video can be recovered, but it seems that if you honk the horn immediately to save a clip, you risk not capturing what you intend. It is best to wait a few minutes before saving the dashcam clip so the incident is more in the middle of the clip rather than immediately before the horn is activated to save it.
Good Practical advice seems like I should turn off the feature that saves on horn honk. Major bug in Telsa's system though.

It's annoying although it's not really a bug, rather a feature gap. Sorry, may seem hair splitting here but that's how the software engineers will view it. It worked as intended when you honked. It's just that it doesn't save it long enough...

I think Tesla should have enough video analytics to assess that an accident has occurred and record the clip for X minutes. I was rear ended a few months back. I didn't honk and falsely assume that Tesla would save the clip after impact, as almost every single dash cam does. But the Tesla doesn't do that. It's freaking annoying. Luckily, I video the playback on my phone because I was thinking about how to best get the video the insurance and cops. Otherwise, I would have lost the evidence.

It's annoying although it's not really a bug, rather a feature gap. Sorry, may seem hair splitting here but that's how the software engineers will view it. It worked as intended when you honked. It's just that it doesn't save it long enough...

I think Tesla should have enough video analytics to assess that an accident has occurred and record the clip for X minutes. I was rear ended a few months back. I didn't honk and falsely assume that Tesla would save the clip after impact, as almost every single dash cam does. But the Tesla doesn't do that. It's freaking annoying. Luckily, I video the playback on my phone because I was thinking about how to best get the video the insurance and cops. Otherwise, I would have lost the evidence.
It's not that it didn't save long enough, it saved everything but the time that I honked. I have everything from the drive 15 min. before and after the incident.It just messed up saving the video correctly.

One other thing I forgot to mention, in the tesla video viewer it has the red record dot at the time the recording was triggered. The red dot was at the wrong point in the video, it actually shows up about 30 seconds prior to when I honked. It looks as though I have found a software bug in the worst situation.

It may in fact be there, just not on the SD card. If the car detects an accident it can save the video to internal memory instead of the car. Put the car in park and open the DashCam console. Look at the top (I believe) and note if there is an entry with a download icon next to it, if there is this in your video. Click on the download icon to download it to your SD card.