Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With all the negative press around FSD, I wanted to share a positive accident-avoidance experience this weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on Route 1 northbound from Trenton NJ around 10:38a this past Saturday. Bright, sunny, clear day - not even wind worth mentioning. I subscribed to FSD a few days ago in preparation for an upcoming long drive and wanted to try it out on this short stretch to get familiar with it. As I'm minding my business, on chill follow mode, out of nowhere a driver in the left lane begins to change lanes -- directly into the side of my car! My first indication that anything was happening was the Tesla yanked the wheel to the right, I take a quick glance to my left to find a car door inches from mine - guaranteed side collision because the other car just...kept...coming. WTF?! While I'm using my modified ape brain to process this insanity my Tesla is still nudging me safely into a crossed-out lane for an upcoming merge from the right. I finally figure it out, slow down and tuck behind this crazy person. Astonishingly, there was no impact. I've been driving for over 30 years and keep careful and alert as much as anyone but no way I saw this person pushing me out of my lane. Without Tesla's accident avoidance it was a definite side-to-side impact. Thank you Tesla and thank you Elon Musk.

TL;DR almost got sideswiped, Tesla accident avoidance saved me before I knew what was happening

Video below:

It was pleasantly unexpected. I didn't buy FSD, only the one month subscription (which I had already cancelled, sssh!) but this does get me thinking about enhanced autopilot (EAP) and with the Supercharger network whether I'd ever own a non-Tesla EV. Prior to this near-miss I'd say I was open to any of them. Now? Would really have to think on it.

I was on Route 1 northbound from Trenton NJ around 10:38a this past Saturday. Bright, sunny, clear day - not even wind worth mentioning. I subscribed to FSD a few days ago in preparation for an upcoming long drive and wanted to try it out on this short stretch to get familiar with it. As I'm minding my business, on chill follow mode, out of nowhere a driver in the left lane begins to change lanes -- directly into the side of my car! My first indication that anything was happening was the Tesla yanked the wheel to the right, I take a quick glance to my left to find a car door inches from mine - guaranteed side collision because the other car just...kept...coming. WTF?! While I'm using my modified ape brain to process this insanity my Tesla is still nudging me safely into a crossed-out lane for an upcoming merge from the right. I finally figure it out, slow down and tuck behind this crazy person. Astonishingly, there was no impact. I've been driving for over 30 years and keep careful and alert as much as anyone but no way I saw this person pushing me out of my lane. Without Tesla's accident avoidance it was a definite side-to-side impact. Thank you Tesla and thank you Elon Musk.

TL;DR almost got sideswiped, Tesla accident avoidance saved me before I knew what was happening

Video below:
I can’t begin to tell you how many times FSD or autopilot saved me or my car. I’ve even had a similar save as in the video. Not only that, it prevents ME from drifting like that car. Worth every penny. The only thing I disagree with is thanking Musk. He has been such a socio/psycopath lately that he has hurt the brand and even has hurt the progression of EVs. That is not to diminish his contribution to making EVs the future sooner than anyone was able to foresee.

I had a similar but slightly less extreme version of the same thing on normal AP last week. What I love about the way the car handles it is that it doesn't over-react. It decelerated and steered just enough to avoid the collision and just keeps driving. Chances are if a human driver gets taken by surprise like that they panic and do something erratic, possibly making the situation worse or causing a secondary incident.

• Helpful
Reactions: Quamera and Carsly2
Anytime there is a serious collision with self driving (Tesla or others) it’s on the evening news. But when a sure accident is avoided we generally don’t hear anything. Glad to hear you avoided a collision.

Tom
And this was my point in sharing. A Tesla safely avoiding what would be a nearly unavoidable accident for a human driver (car was in my blind spot) doesn't fit the sensationalistic news cycles that we've been primed for. Really a shame that positive outcomes, like mine, will never see the light of day. But I'm very glad for Tesla's tech and safe control over the situation. A few days later and I'm still amazed at how well it handled the situation.

Reactions: Quamera
Now Tesla needs to engage the horn as an alert to the driver, and as evidence of an attempt to alert the other driver, in the event a collision does occur. I can see scenarios where there are just no exits, and braking results in a rear-end collision. Maryland here... we share 🤬 idiot drivers with New Jersey.

Now Tesla needs to engage the horn as an alert to the driver, and as evidence of an attempt to alert the other driver, in the event a collision does occur. I can see scenarios where there are just no exits, and braking results in a rear-end collision. Maryland here... we share 🤬 idiot drivers with New Jersey.
THIS. I was mashing the center of the steering wheel (habit) and no sound of course. Pretty f&*king annoying.

It was pleasantly unexpected. I didn't buy FSD, only the one month subscription (which I had already cancelled, sssh!) but this does get me thinking about enhanced autopilot (EAP) and with the Supercharger network whether I'd ever own a non-Tesla EV. Prior to this near-miss I'd say I was open to any of them. Now? Would really have to think on it.
Great video catch! Correct me if I am wrong, this avoidance would happen without FSD activated correct?

I’m an interested amateur, not an expert, but I’ve never heard anyone suggest that the emergency intervention code is anything to do with the FSD code

I don’t have FSD (certainly not beta) but I have used AP on roads that are too minor and not really what it’s intended for, and gone round bends that are too tight for it to follow causing it to drift out of lane, and that’s caused it to intervene on itself.