Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on video in Tesla stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why 2 months? There is no backlog of manufacturing the X. There is a big line of X orders, but they can start building X's the day they open the design studio. Supposedly the new line at the factory can do both X and S on it at once. So really they can start building them the moment someone finalizes their order. The order of X vin numbers does not correlate exactly to the order they roll off the line.

I said before the first X's off the line will be inventory vehicles. Probably a weeks worth of production, 500 or so to spread out to stores and for test drives. Then the big "unveil" and the founders series will start rolling off the line. Those first 500 inventory cars will probably also be considered a full blown production test to iron out any remaining issues from the manufacturing process.

Edit: This makes me wonder if getting an inventory X will be as easy as it is getting a inventory S. Jump to the front of the line and get your X months before people who pre-ordered in 2013-14?

i doubt we'll see any inventory cars in stores until early 2016, after the first 5000 or so have been delivered. Before that, I'm sure most reservation holders will get a test drive at a drive event, just like with the Model S.

The first production cars for the Founders Edition will take much longer time to build than the time it takes for Model S to be build today. Add to this a much more detailed testing and inspection for the first cars. Many Founders Edition might be built more than one time because of problems detected in the tests and inspections.

Well, Elon said they were trying to ramp incredibly fast once production finally does commence (whenever that is). This is part of why he claims development is taking so long. So IF this is true, I don't see why they can't ramp from 500 cars week one to 2,000 week two as they claim is possible. While building a car is no easy task, Tesla as a whole isn't nearly as green to this process as they were when starting production of the S. And I still don't believe it will take them 2 months to figure out how to build those first few founders cars. If they are taking a cautious approach before production as it seems they are, and if everything works, they should be producing full speed within week(s) of starting up X production. A well built machine can run at top speed when it's first turned on as long as it's designed well during it's engineering phase.

**I also acknowledge this line of thinking flies in the face of my previous comments saying only a handful of cars will be released in calendar year 2015.

I think you're being unfair. This was at the Shareholder's meeting and the context was that the first Model X would be configured in July. My reaction was he meant to let us know how close production was. (Most of the Founders were probably sitting right in front of him.)

It never crossed my mind during the meeting that he was implying the design studio would be open. THIS forum got everyone revved up about that interpretation of his words & now people are going to be disappointed.

(And to be clear, I expect I'll be configuring in a conversation, not using an online tool.)

If he'd meant the design studio would be open, he would have said that.

The statement from Elon about the X configuring in July was made in the May earnings call. The questions from Jeffrey K. Evanson - Vice President-Investor Relations was:
"Elon, do you want to talk about Model X? We've had a number of questions from investors and Ben's question here about when you'll be able to configure Model X online, when we'll show that to the public, how that will actually deploy?"

Elon replied:
"Yes. Probably three months from now, (1:14:44) May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration. And it would be very similar to the S, like it's not going to be super – there's no big surprises there. It's very similar to the S. And, yes, and we certainly have a lot of customers who've been waiting a long time. So they will probably (1:15:13)."

The question was specific to online configurations and covered investors in a general sense. The reply specifically mentioned customers. Neither the question, nor the answer, limited the configurator in July to founders. To the contrary, the question and answer combined to indicate that customers and investors could be configuring online in early July.

In Elon time, we are still in early July, so I expect the design studio to open very soon.

Elon replied:
"Yes. Probably three months from now, (1:14:44) May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration.

Also it should be noted the inclusion of the word probably. That one word means they are shooting for July, but it could be any time really. So if the configuration tool isn't up in July, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm hopeful it will be up by the next earnings call in early August, but then again, it's Tesla time. Hopefully if it's not up by the call, they will have some information about the timeline to release then. Otherwise it's going to be awkward if once again they have to deflect with the common "We'll release it when it's right" response yet again.

So, back to the topic.....

Has anyone else seen this video? Can you elaborate on what portions of the X are seen in it? Perhaps even a video of the video?

Sorry, but the above horse has been beaten so bloody that I am beginning to feel bad for it

The statement from Elon about the X configuring in July was made in the May earnings call. The questions from Jeffrey K. Evanson - Vice President-Investor Relations was:
"Elon, do you want to talk about Model X? We've had a number of questions from investors and Ben's question here about when you'll be able to configure Model X online, when we'll show that to the public, how that will actually deploy?"

Elon replied:
"Yes. Probably three months from now, (1:14:44) May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration. And it would be very similar to the S, like it's not going to be super – there's no big surprises there. It's very similar to the S. And, yes, and we certainly have a lot of customers who've been waiting a long time. So they will probably (1:15:13)."

The question was specific to online configurations and covered investors in a general sense. The reply specifically mentioned customers. Neither the question, nor the answer, limited the configurator in July to founders. To the contrary, the question and answer combined to indicate that customers and investors could be configuring online in early July.

In Elon time, we are still in early July, so I expect the design studio to open very soon.
Elon never really used the word "early". There were a lot of pauses and words muttered under his breath that the transcript attempted to clear up, but never in the actual recording does he say "early" when he says July. I recommend everyone go back and listen to the last 2 minutes of the earnings call to get the real context.

So, back to the topic.....

Has anyone else seen this video? Can you elaborate on what portions of the X are seen in it? Perhaps even a video of the video?

Sorry, but the above horse has been beaten so bloody that I am beginning to feel bad for it

Twiddler, thanks for the attempt to return to the OP and sanity.

As far as the video in the Tesla store, the X was only for about 30 seconds of a 5 minute video loop. It showed a shot of the Model X next to a Model S, a few standard shots of a black X and a titanium X, and a shot of the open rear showing rear seats folded down, I believe. I wish that I could have gotten a photo of it. Mainly, I was impressed that the stores are now actively promoting the X, as we visit one of various stores in our area at least once a month. This was the first time that we have seen any indiction of the Model X.

Has anyone else seen this video in their local Tesla store?

You would not think they would show something on a video at the showrooms that was from 2012 or 2013. Wonder what X they used, can you see it very well or is it so fast it was hard to make out.

Merrill,
The images were pretty clear. If I had had my iPhone ready, I could have captured the images. I just didn't want to wait the 10 minutes for the whole loop to go through again, as the X part only lasted a minute or so. I wonder if this is showing in all the stores now (this was the Topanga Mall store in northern Los Angeles area).

Ron