Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on video in Tesla stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i doubt we'll see any inventory cars in stores until early 2016, after the first 5000 or so have been delivered. Before that, I'm sure most reservation holders will get a test drive at a drive event, just like with the Model S.

When I first drove a Model S test drive car without an appointment at a Tesla store (it was a new car, fresh off the line), less than 200 Model S cars had been delivered to the public (end of September 2012). I believe it will be the same for the Model X.

Twiddler, thanks for the attempt to return to the OP and sanity.

As far as the video in the Tesla store, the X was only for about 30 seconds of a 5 minute video loop. It showed a shot of the Model X next to a Model S, a few standard shots of a black X and a titanium X, and a shot of the open rear showing rear seats folded down, I believe. I wish that I could have gotten a photo of it. Mainly, I was impressed that the stores are now actively promoting the X, as we visit one of various stores in our area at least once a month. This was the first time that we have seen any indiction of the Model X.

Has anyone else seen this video in their local Tesla store?
That sounds exactly like their standard stock footage of the Model X they have been showing since 2012. I have a hard time believing it is anything more than that.

When I first drove a Model S test drive car without an appointment at a Tesla store (it was a new car, fresh off the line), less than 200 Model S cars had been delivered to the public (end of September 2012). I believe it will be the same for the Model X.

Different environment back then. Back in 2012 Tesla stores literally had no cars to show people, and the company badly needed to generate and establish demand for the product. This time around the stores all have Model S to show & tell and offer test drives, plus there's a much longer waiting list for Model X and they don't want to completely cannibalize Model S.

I tend to agree with Bonnie that inventory cars won't get in-store for a few months after launch; I do expect that Tesla will set up a Model X test drive tour for reservation holders.

Different environment back then. Back in 2012 Tesla stores literally had no cars to show people, and the company badly needed to generate and establish demand for the product. This time around the stores all have Model S to show & tell and offer test drives, plus there's a much longer waiting list for Model X and they don't want to completely cannibalize Model S.

I tend to agree with Bonnie that inventory cars won't get in-store for a few months after launch; I do expect that Tesla will set up a Model X test drive tour for reservation holders.

I've received an email a year ago that the Model X would be put into the loaner fleet, be in stores for display and test drives before deliveries. I guess they are technically inventory cars, but perhaps not going to be available for sale right away. Until they get through the backlog or changes start coming in, they'll be valuable in generating new sales and converting existing reservations into sales (early adopters aside). I don't think its likely to cannibalize the Model S sales much because its really going to be targeted at a different market of owners. Not saying that there won't be some.

I just think they'll need to give people test rides (especially for those who have reservations and are needing the touch and feel to make the final purchase decision and get those confirmed up). So keep an open mind that they might very well have that planned all along. Personally, I don't think I would have bought the Model S sight unseen. But boy, once you've taken one out... well you know the rest you're in love with it.

And I feel like rambling today.... so bare with me...

The Model S has proven itself to me to have plenty of space for passengers and cargo, but I do prefer higher ride height, easier to get in and out of, additional carrying capacity, and having the ability to carry 6 adults with me when the need arises. I usually end up renting an SUV or truck to make up for that before I got the Model S. But why didn't I already own a SUV. Well, I just couldn't bring myself to own one for just those occasions and drive around a gas guzzler in the meantime and feel guilty about the waste it would be. Since I've gotten an S, I haven't had the need for the extra 6th spot yet and managed to carry an amazing amount of stuff in the S in the meantime. With the dual motor announcement and that insane experience I sorta wavered even! However, the Model X is the vehicle I've always wanted. As long as it can live up to that, which I have every hope that it will (and then some), I would now even buy it sight unseen.

Exciting memory for me is that on February 9th, 2012 a coworker told me about the Tesla Model X SUV starting reservations the next day. I knew a little bit about Tesla back then (saw a Roadster review on a TV car show and one around town). I thought it was a crazy business model to get here, but wow, they now have a sedan ready to go and thinking about the next one. Boy, I jumped in with both feet and got a signature reservation and was hitting the reserve page like crazy the next day. Woo hoo! Its just around the corner now...

I've received an email a year ago that the Model X would be put into the loaner fleet, be in stores for display and test drives before deliveries.
I feel a bet coming on.

And I feel like rambling today.... so bare with me...

The Model S has proven itself to me to have plenty of space for passengers and cargo, but I do prefer higher ride height, easier to get in and out of....

This was you wasn't it?
Paul.jpg

Oh my. It's getting serious.

What will YOU hand deliver? I might want in on this. I'll deliver a box of freshly picked mandarin oranges or a large jar of homemade blackberry jam.

Great a double bet. Twice the fun! Wait didn't someone (meaning myself) just say not to bet against you both? LMAO now here I am moments later... I'm suddenly reminded of back to the future and getting called chicken.

Since no fresh produce is allowed across the border and I really do love blackberry jam, that'll work very nicely. Would you like some local fireweed or blackberry honey from the valley near me, smoked salmon, or blackberry port from Salt Spring Island?

We could wager Key Lime Pie against say couple pounds smoked salmon? Not going to drive my X but we'll be in Vancouver later this year.
Ok say limit to $30 USD for pie or the salmon, I can only each so much pie. ;)