Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is about the on board charger.

But how can you prove that you have 80A capability charger on board?

If I hook it to NEMA 14-50, it would say "40A."

If I hook it to HPWC, I can MANUALLY dial it down to a number that I want say 5A, then take a picture.

Non-Supercharging is not a sure way to show your A/C charger specification.

However, if I hook it to Supercharger, then I cannot dial that number down. It is grayed out as "80A" in Model S and "72A" in Model X as in this case.

Would some one please confirm whether the latest information is true: 72A charging capability are now BOTH applicable to Founders and Signatures. See the post below from the Sig VIN#429 from other forum.

gordonbremer | NOVEMBER 16, 2015
TESLA IS LISTENING!! I just got this email:
"Thank you for your email. At this moment in time I can share that the Signature series will accompany the Founder series with the 72 amp configuration setup. This modification is currently offered in only with Founder and Signature series cars. The 72amp configuration has not been announced or listed as offered on the general production line. If you have any additional questions for myself please let me know.
Thank you, an Inside Sales Representative, North American Inside Sales"
I have Signature VIN 00429. I hope that ALL MX owners will have an opportunity to get 72 amps!

Would some one please confirm whether the latest information is true: 72A charging capability are now BOTH applicable to Founders and Signatures. See the post below from the Sig VIN#429 from other forum.

"Thank you for your email. At this moment in time I can share that the Signature series will accompany the Founder series with the 72 amp configuration setup. This modification is currently offered in only with Founder and Signature series cars. The 72amp configuration has not been announced or listed as offered on the general production line. If you have any additional questions for myself please let me know.
I have Signature VIN 00429. I hope that ALL MX owners will have an opportunity to get 72 amps!

This is great news for Sig holders. But there are a lot more regular production holders out there (me included) that will have an issue with this decision if this isn't extended to production models as well.

That's kind of funny. Aren't sigs and founders the only configs that are currently available/announced? And if so, that implicitly means the production config doesn't offer 72A (or 48A for that matter). I wasn't aware they announced anything for the production models yet. (Or maybe I just haven't followed X news closely enough)

We always understood that the MX would come with a 72amp charger but we we told that it could only at 48 amps (12kW).

This "new" information does not make it crystal clear to me that there will be 72amp charging capability for all but select Founders vehicles.

I wasn't aware they announced anything for the production models yet.

That's my interpretation too. Nothing is announced nor offered for General Production yet.

Who know what options that are standard for Founders and Signatures may not be for General Productions such as

-Standard third row seats
-Standard Third Generation Single Charger with the spec of 17 kW, 72A, 240V
-Standard with no extra fee for 20" or 22" tires...
and so on...

- - - Updated - - -

This "new" information does not make it crystal clear to me that there will be 72amp charging capability for all but select Founders vehicles.

I read it differently. It says Signatures will join Founders with the same spec of 72A configuration.

That action is described as a "modification," not something you can take for granted.

And that modification is only valid for 2 classes: Founders and Signatures.

We always understood that the MX would come with a 72amp charger but we we told that it could only at 48 amps (12kW).

That was the rumor before the launch, but Tesla said earlier this month that only Founders cars had 72A chargers, and the Sigs and production cars would have a 48A charger. That email tried to convince reservation holders that they didn't need anything more than 48A, and it did Tesla more harm than good in insulting people's intelligence like that. If today's email is accurate, now Sigs will also have 72A chargers like Founders cars do. It strikes me as a temporizing move to calm the waters while they decide what to do about the production cars.

It strikes me as a temporizing move to calm the waters while they decide what to do about the production cars.

I'll save them the trouble. If it's a huge deal, make the 48A standard, but give us a pay to play option for 72A. For most people, the 48A should be OK. For those of us who plan to drive the thing away from home base, it'll be preferable to have a 72A.

No, this is incorrect. I was told the cars would be fitted with a single charger capable of doing up to 48A. Note that the 2nd- and 3rd-generation chargers in the Model S are actually capable of doing 48A single-phase, but are limited (likely due to other components like wiring and such) to 40A.

I am hoping that the rumor is correct - that Signatures will see 72A charging. We haven't seen it confirmed, and more importantly, it hasn't come from a non-sales source yet.

From today:
ir | NOVEMBER 17, 2015
Just got a call from NA Sales. They confirmed that Signature Model X now comes with the 72A charger too. No word on normal production models.
Since there are no official specs on the production model, they were careful not to say anything about them.

This would be wonderful if true. Guess their supplier is able to get enough to them in time.

Speculation: that, or the additional delay in ramp-up is giving them a fuller parts bin to work from. :)

Really hope they give the production vehicles the option for 72A (even if there is an additional charge, I'm fine with that). I understand there needs to be some separation between Signatures and Production in terms of exclusive options, color, etc, but a hard line of 72A for sigs and 48A for production is too drastic. It makes a huge difference when talking about destination charging, let alone home charging. Regardless, if they deem most drivers do not need the 72A.

It's too important of a feature to exclude from the the general production reservationists. The current language that Tesla is using in regards to the 72 vs 48 charger, I feel like I am being penalized for not being a sig holder, and that's not right. I hope we get some concrete info bout the Production specs over the next several weeks...

This is great news for Sig holders. But there are a lot more regular production holders out there (me included) that will have an issue with this decision if this isn't extended to production models as well.

Well you may want to get the other 20,000 production X reservationistas to email to Tesla. Apparently all our bitching worked for once... Maybe! ;-)

Really hope they give the production vehicles the option for 72A (even if there is an additional charge, I'm fine with that). I understand there needs to be some separation between Signatures and Production in terms of exclusive options, color, etc, but a hard line of 72A for sigs and 48A for production is too drastic. It makes a huge difference when talking about destination charging, let alone home charging. Regardless, if they deem most drivers do not need the 72A.

It's too important of a feature to exclude from the the general production reservationists. The current language that Tesla is using in regards to the 72 vs 48 charger, I feel like I am being penalized for not being a sig holder, and that's not right. I hope we get some concrete info bout the Production specs over the next several weeks...

I completely agree with the above sentiments. IMO this clearly shows how distant Tesla is actually from being ready to produce this vehicle. The fact that they haven't nailed down the specifications clearly indicates (to me at least) that they're still figuring it all out. Just since September we have seen the following changes:
- the addition of the 6-seat option (Tesla reaction to customer's complaining of lack of folding seats?)
- AC charging from 80A -> 72A -> 48A -> 72A -> ??? (Tesla reaction to customer's complaining of lower AC charging?)
- towing 10,000lbs -> 5,000lbs -> 5,000lbs/3,500lbs
- 3rd row -> optional 3rd row -> non-optional 3rd row

I don't think this is much different from the Model-S roll-out, so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure they'll figure it all out shortly and start delivering vehicles next month. Tesla's half-secret policies boggles my mind. IMO they either need to be completely secretive like Apple, or have better all-around communication. They can't just trickle information out (e.g. September 29th "deliveries") over the course of 3-4 months and not expect it to cause angst among their reservation holders.

And I know that the only reason for the Sept 29th deliveries was to appease Wall St. So much for Tesla doing what's best for the company rather than what's best for Wall St. Once public, I don't think it's possible to shun Wall Street's influence.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you may want to get the other 20,000 production X reservationistas to email to Tesla. Apparently all our bitching worked for once... Maybe! ;-)

Yes, good point. I've already Emailed them a few weeks ago. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if they announce something more final. If not, I'll Email them again.