Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The door openings are the wrong shape, and you'll have to add a substantial crossbeam at the a-pillars to support the rear of he new smaller windshield. That'd change the way the car behaves in a crash, as would the roof panel inserts and new hinges/fastening systems.

You'd reduce the redesign work with your approach, but not the testing requirements - and you'd keep the existing heavy H truss, so it'd be heavier than it needs to be. I really can't see Tesla doing it.

Both the Citroen C4 Picasso and the Opel Zafira have Parabolic Front Windscreens as options. So we have precedent ;-)

section-exterior-profile.jpg
and as for the door, just move the handle. shape seems fine to me...

If you're so against the windshield and falcon wing doors, get a Model S. Seriously. Same rolling chassis, better battery pack size to range, the cargo areas are comparable in size (better in some ways on the Model S) and you can throw a luggage carrier on the roof for what doesn't fit.

View attachment 100477 and as for the door, just move the handle. shape seems fine to me...

That wasn't the part I was talking about. I was thinking of the roof opening and changing the B pillar to work with the hinges and carry the large, heavy door. It's also longer than typical SUV rear doors, which presumably means it'll need more space to open safely.

The handle is a non-issue - based on what we saw in the unveiling it sounded like none of the doors have actual handles, just touch sensitive plates that trigger the car to open the door. (Unless you plan to change that, too.)
Walter

I wouldn't be surprised if FWD and the PWS will turn out to be optional.
I would be really surprised. The Falcon Wing Doors *define* the Model X. Musk has been selling the benefits of these over traditional doors and minivan doors since 2012 and has reiterated this as a core feature of the X. A Model X without Falcon Wing Doors would not be a Model X.

It will be interesting to see how they deploy FWD on the next gen cars though. With the Model Y (model 3 SUV variant), since it will be unlikely to have a third row of seats, they could probably do *just* the Falcon Wing Doors with no traditional front doors. Since they've worked out most of the mechanical/design challenges of the FWD on the Model X, it should be easier to do a FWD on the next generation smaller SUV, and it could potentially replace two doors on a smaller car.

-CB

Spot on

How do you know this?

I hope they may put ultrasonic sensors along the door each side to give confidence that you won't hit the car next to you, the wall you parked next to or the roof above you. Automating that would be a huge reassurance - especially when you think of it as a family car and your five-year-old may be pressing the door open button in the back.

Well, you hit that nail on the head, right !!?!?!

Better questions is how you feel about the front doors now that they are auto opening

This feature will be particularly mind blowing to folks in showrooms and anyone I show the car too.

I think it is a great idea, obviously, in that if I don't have to worry about the door hitting anything and it allows me to get in comfortably (i.e. the door is just as or more functional than if it was manually controlled) then this is a huge benefit.

Several benefits of this feature are:

1. Ease of use
2. No damage to car from scratching paint from objects held in your hand or objects, like rings, on your fingers
3. No hand burns from hot door handles or worries about frozen mechanical door handles
4. No finger prints or hand oils on paint door handles
5. Maybe even less air drag due to handle being perfectly flush...I'm pretty sure that is minor though
6. No way to be car jacked...assuming someone pressing the handle from the outside can't get door to open
7. Other autonomous scenarios...totally guessing here
8. One less thing to fail...I just wonder about how to manually open the door if the chauffeur feature fails? But assume their is a manual way to open the door as well as a mechanism that could defeat ice build up.