Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing doors with app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a 2017 X 75D. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to open the falcon wing doors with the mobile app. Teslas website says I should be able to open it with the app but under controls all I can open are the charging port, frunk and trunk. Is it just not possible to open the falcon wing doors with the app? I’ve done a search and can’t find anything on this topic other than from Teslas website saying I should be able to control it using the app.

I am the original owner of my 2017 model X. I am not aware of any way to open or close the falcon wing doors from the app. They can be controlled from the center screen in the car or from the fob. Could you quote the specifics you are reading that says you can control them from the app?

I think they added the ability for the refreshed models

Seems like you need to be within bluetooth range too

1697589310004.png

I’m guessing the older X also requires the Fob to drive too. I would’ve thought they could’ve easily updated it to allow control via the app.
You can drive your 2017 model X without the key fob, using the app on your phone. But it is not the passive Bluetooth phone-as-key technology in the newer Teslas. It uses the cellular connection and you have to open the app and select the start icon.

Through the wonder of OTA updates, a 6 year old Tesla is not missing as many features as 6 year old cars from most manufacturers. But it is still 6 years old and there are many, many differences vs newer model X’s.

Thanks. I have a 2020 M3 and the older X still takes some getting used to. There is no one pedal driving on the older X’s I’ve learned. And I don’t recall ever using range mode on the 3. It seems the ride is bumpier on the X with range mode turned on. Not sure if it’s just me.

I have a 2020 M3 and the older X still takes some getting used to.
Yes, I have warned many people of this. I think you would feel that with any of the legacy vertical screen Teslas. I have a 2017 MX and a 2018 M3. From the beginning of bringing the M3 home, the older tech in the MX was apparent. Tesla has been much slower to bring new features to the MX relative to the M3. And of course some features never come (I really wish I had live sentry view on the MX.) Getting the MCU2 upgrade on the MX really helped bring it closer to parity. But fundamentally they are pretty different cars with some notable differences in the menu options.

If I had to choose to keep just one of the cars, though, my clear choice would be the MX.

Reactions: davezforce