Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75 RWD anything but discontinued . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 extra miles rated range is hardly “considerably better.” And $5000 is certainly considerably more money.

The three awd loaners I’ve had exhibit a good bit more motor noise and two of them have had a subitle but very noticeable resonance or rumble at highway speeds. My rwd S85 is quieter. Almost no need for awd with the weather here so I’m glad my car is rwd.
At highway speeds it's more like 25 to 30% more range. I can get 280 in my 75D without breaking a sweat and 300 if I really make an effort.

• Disagree
Reactions: OlavA and llirk
You can disagree all you want but not only have I driven RWD vs AWD Model Ses on the same route many, many times with the same results every time, many other people have seen the same thing. When my Model S was still a 60D, it was within 5 miles of the same range on the highway as the 85 that we had as a company car.

Lots of discussion on this can be found here on these forums. Some have found a little difference and some have found no difference. And nobody has found the 25-30% you are claiming.

Fact remains Teslas official rating is only 10 miles more.
Just about everyone that has driven RWD vs non P AWD have seen what I see every day. Don't just listen to what I'm saying though, here is a leg from my last road trip:

75D%20range.jpg

Here my lifetime average of 281wh/mi. That’s better efficiency than your 287 wh/mi lifetime average. So I guess my rwd S85 is more effecient than your awd car.

View attachment 267936
The majority of my traveling is in stop and go traffic which is horrible for efficiency. How far can you go at highway speeds? Every trip I have taken in an 85 at highway speeds was in the 320 wh/mi range.

I not going to argue over it. Here are the indisputable facts:

1) awd cost $5000 more

2) awd adds about 300lbs to the already heavy car

3) awd adds complexity of another motor, gear drive, half shafts, cv joints, etc.

4) Teslas official rating is a range increase of 10 miles

It’s unrealistic to tell someone they’re going to get 25 to 30 percent more range with all wheel drive. It’s not going to happen.

I not going to argue over it. Here are the indisputable facts:

1) awd cost $5000 more

2) awd adds about 300lbs to the already heavy car

3) awd adds complexity of another motor, gear drive, half shafts, cv joints, etc.

4) Teslas official rating is a range increase of 10 miles

It’s unrealistic to tell someone they’re going to get 25 to 30 percent more range with all wheel drive. It’s not going to happen.
Since you don't actually understand how the real world performance of the AWD system performs, even with proof, I suggest that you refrain from making the unrealistic assumptions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tforme
IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

My 90% floats around between 225 and 229 depending on ambient temperatures. My 100% is usually 252 to 254.

Jello, I have a 2016 75 (no D), same color. I have been averaging 267 wh/mile for the past 7,000 miles or so. My 100% charge is now 244 miles (I think it was around 250 when new 15,600 miles and 19 months ago). For me, it is the highway miles that actually cause lower efficiency than stop and go around town. Around town, I get about 250 wh/m. When on the highway at 65, can get 244 miles on a full charge. If I go 70, efficiency drops significantly. My guess is that, within any one classification of Tesla (D or not), efficiency is related to driver style and tire pressure.

Jello, I have a 2016 75 (no D), same color. I have been averaging 267 wh/mile for the past 7,000 miles or so. My 100% charge is now 244 miles (I think it was around 250 when new 15,600 miles and 19 months ago). For me, it is the highway miles that actually cause lower efficiency than stop and go around town. Around town, I get about 250 wh/m. When on the highway at 65, can get 244 miles on a full charge. If I go 70, efficiency drops significantly. My guess is that, within any one classification of Tesla (D or not), efficiency is related to driver style and tire pressure.
With the D version, you get "torque sleep" mode when you are traveling at highway speeds. This shuts off the rear motor and just uses the front motor to keep the car moving at a constant speed. The front motor in the D is significantly smaller than the rear motor in the RWD cars. This is why you see much lower consumption in the non P AWD cars at highway speeds over the RWD versions. Like I said before, I have driven the same stretch of highway, at the same speeds, and the same conditions in a RWD 85 configured Model S and my 75D Model S. The results were the same every time: noticeably more range with my 75D at highway speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: TechOps
I test drove 75 and 75D back to back and felt the acceleration more in the 75, which I liked. I'm not going to use this car for snow, and it wasn't worth $5k more for something I don't care about. The range issue isn't really a big deal since I'm not driving super long distances on a regular basis, and even if I were, a 20-30 mile difference in range wouldn't really be significant. To each his/her own..

My 90% floats around between 225 and 229 depending on ambient temperatures. My 100% is usually 252 to 254.

OK, thanks for this message and images. This now makes more sense. if you go back to your original post, you claimed your 100% was 300 miles and I think that was the cause of my confusion:

At highway speeds it's more like 25 to 30% more range. I can get 280 in my 75D without breaking a sweat and 300 if I really make an effort.

Happy New Year.

Regards