Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75 RWD anything but discontinued . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered end of September - delivery set for 10 days [or so - you know how it goes]

We ordered a 75D after the salesman said thats all there is - the 75RWD was discontinued - but it now includes AWD and the Smart Air suspension.

So based on that - we ordered. Pretty simple car: 75D, blue, cream, AP2.5 and thats it. VIN assigned 1 day after confirmation - 227XX.

But if you look at the Tesla inventory - you have a TON of RWD S75 vehicles with PUP [which has the SAS and other options [like XM radio] my wife would have wanted but did not want to $5k for - all for the same price or LESS than what we are paying.

It kind of pisses me off - there are and we many cars that were 75's but not 75D's -

If you look carefully - the VIN's for the RWD 75's go as hight as 232698 . . . thousands of cars above our assigned VIN.

If you look at the 75D's available - all of them are VINs under 210xxx . . . .

Gotta wonder what it going on - and we could have gotten more car for less money.

I've may have asked a few times before what is the best mechanism to measure this. I have an Android phone so I've been under the assumption the app, Dashboard for Tesla, was the only way to measure the time. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Reactions: MIT_S60
="comanchepilot, post: 2438226, member: 66313]"We ordered a 75D after the salesman said thats all there is - the 75RWD was discontinued...

It kind of pisses me off - there are and we many cars that were 75's but not 75D's -
It would more than "kind of" piss me off. I'd be fuming.

You should call and speak to someone other than your "sales" person. I'm in sales, not at Tesla, but if that happened to my customer I'd make it right. They still have a couple that show in the inventory. Ring 'em up and play nice, what do you have to lose?

Reactions: neroden
This is definately a short-coming on the sales person.

Yes, the S75 RWD was discontinued, however it was still in production. They were no longer being sold, but were definately being built.
As in, if I ordered one in October and it's not built until December, then they're still building them in November as they have orders to fill.

What the sales person SHOULD have done is explained to you that you can no longer order a custom S75RWD, however they are building inventory cars and can they find you one of those... The big difference is that you can no longer order the exact car that you want, and have to rely on them having something close.

I wanted to buy in October. I was told that the LAST day to buy to get this year was the end of October. Then I didn't buy, but i was then told the last day to buy a custom 100D was the end of November. Then I found an inventory car, then I cahnged my mind, then I found one but it sold before I could buy it, then I found a pre-production car that was perfect.

Part of this is the sales guy's fault. But also Tesla are quite different in that they build to order, but they also build inventory cars. Not many companies build cars to order like Tesla and so a lot of the sales process revolves around that.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Olds442
Here we have Monday, December 4 =

First photo is Deep Blue Metallic 75D =

Second photo is RWD 75.
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 8.21.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 8.20.55 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
I am BRAND new here, and just put down a deposit for a black 75 RWD S. I have been waiting for the model 3 but with the expiring tax credit and unlimited supercharging, I decided to go with the S. I was afraid that if I didn't love the 3 (since I have had no opportunity to see it in person let alone test drive it), I would have wished I had done the S. The 75RWD made the car affordable for me. I am surprised to see the model was "discontinued" as mine was literally just built. I do realize that the resale value may not be as high as AWD but figured it would be much higher than an AP1 vehicle (which was the other thing I was debating). Anyway, awaiting final credit approval but I'm told I should get delivery in the next couple of weeks and qualify for the tax credit which is set to expire.

I hope I made a good choice - I can't wait!

@bvictor29 Yes, You made a good choice. I got delivery of mine at the end of October and I am super happy with it. As a matter of fact, I personally think S75 RWD is a better choice than AWD when it comes to price and functionality etc... My MS does 0 to 60 miles in 4.2 or 0 to 100 km in 4.3 seconds. There is no way I want to use such acceleration regularly, let alone paying extra for P100D with insane mode for a mere 1.5 seconds difference which I would not even use.

For the range also, I am very happy with the range I can have with S75 RWD and again extra range doesn't justify the extra cost. Overall I think S75 RWD is a very good choice and I don't think it would depreciate more for being RWD. In fact over time this can be an advantage and might have less depreciation than higher models as it is more affordable. Like housing market, a studio apartment or one bedroom apartment is always more expensive than a 5 bedroom detached house in comparison as more people can afford cheaper ones. I am sure you will enjoy it. Best wishes

Reactions: Darmie
Just took delivery of my 75 RWD Saturday and I am so glad I did, I love this car. Had a reservation on a Model 3 but was worried about the rebate and really wanted a S deep down. As luck would have it there was a blue Model 3 awaiting delivery in the center and I got a chance to look it over. The Model 3 was beautiful but no buyers remorse I love the S.

I've may have asked a few times before what is the best mechanism to measure this. I have an Android phone so I've been under the assumption the app, Dashboard for Tesla, was the only way to measure the time. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Any updates? We are all VERY eager to know. There are a ton of Pre-July-2017 75 RWD owners out there who would kill for an uncork!

Perhaps you can also call Tesla and ask? Do you remember what the published 0-60 time was when you placed your order?

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60 and llirk