Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to TMC and would love feedback on ordering a Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from a Model 3 P white/white and went to Model S blue/cream 19".

I really liked the white and it kept up for 4 years without a blemish. I also like the cream a lot but mostly chose it just because it was different than my last car.

I opted for 19's to give me the freedom to choose my own 20s in the future and keep the 19s as backup or maybe swap as all season / summer tires.

Never had a HUD, but the thought of it is fun. I only have about 500 miles on my plaid right now but already used to the lack of stalks and everything done in the touchscreen.

Got the regular steering wheel for the wife but I really enjoyed the look of the interior when you have the yoke. If I was sole driver.

When test driving, inquire about overnight drives. pick up at closing, drop off next morning at opening. super comfortable.

Reactions: dinosoar888
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Model S Plaid. Right now I'm deep in the research phase and reading tonnes of reviews and forum posts (for me the is almost as fun as buying a new car). I'm mostly coming from the ICE world with a Jaguar F-Type R, BMW M6 and Range Rovers. I have one EV - A Mercedes EQS SUV which I love except for the charging network...

A few questions I'd love feedback on:

1) I'm a bit worried about the lack of a HUD - I'm so used to driving with a heads up display that I'm worried it will bother me without one on the Tesla - anyone made the transition and dealt with it? My other cars all have it so I'm very used to not having to look anywhere for speed, music, etc.

2) I've settled on Ultra Red for exterior with 21" wheels but I'm on the fence between the white and cream interior. I like the way cream looks (at least in pictures) but see lots of great feedback on white with the carbon fibre. I know it's a personal choice but always like to hear opinions.

3) Planning to get the regular steering wheel and Enhanced autopilot.

4) Planning to order mid to late Oct so I get a 2024 VIN

Anything else to consider?

Thanks!
I don’t think you will miss a HUD. You’ve got so much info directly in front of you hidden behind that big steering wheel (sorry joking!) That you never wanting for anything

I would get the 19s. I have the 21s and really don’t like them at all. The tires make a horrible crunching sound at low speeds, pulling out of my driveway and in parking lots. I prefer having an M+S tire for a little bit of crossover protection between fall / winter etc and well 560 km is good 637 is better!

I found the ride very comfortable on the 21s. I can only imagine how great the 19s are.

Ultra red is the best… I wish I had the red. I would go white and carbon fiber. The cream is nice I’m just not so sure it looks as fresh as the white.

EAP is great, but I’m waiting for FSD to go on sale!

Re ‘24 someone mentioned rumours of them going up in price but I kind of doubt it.

All the best with your new car I’m sure you’re going to love it.

Reactions: aerodyne
I don’t think you will miss a HUD. You’ve got so much info directly in front of you hidden behind that big steering wheel (sorry joking!) That you never wanting for anything

I would get the 19s. I have the 21s and really don’t like them at all. The tires make a horrible crunching sound at low speeds, pulling out of my driveway and in parking lots. I prefer having an M+S tire for a little bit of crossover protection between fall / winter etc and well 560 km is good 637 is better!

I found the ride very comfortable on the 21s. I can only imagine how great the 19s are.

Ultra red is the best… I wish I had the red. I would go white and carbon fiber. The cream is nice I’m just not so sure it looks as fresh as the white.

EAP is great, but I’m waiting for FSD to go on sale!

Re ‘24 someone mentioned rumours of them going up in price but I kind of doubt it.

All the best with your new car I’m sure you’re going to love it.
Thanks! I've made a few adjustments to my build based on feedback from this thread and had a few test drives. Going with Ultra Red with white interior, round wheel and no EAP (will subscribe to try it first). Still deciding on wheel size but am leaning towards 19s - and putting snow tires on them then getting a nice set of 20" aftermarkets with summers.

One thing I did notice during my test drive is the sight line is pretty low - I'm 6' and found I was looking at the top of the windshield in the lowest seat position. It almost put me off buying but I did another test drive and I think I can get used to it. I am coming from a Jaguar F-Type R and the model S sight line is noticeably worse which is disappointing for a sedan.

There are literally zero advantages to the 21" wheels.

19 inch advantages:
  • The go faster in a straight line
  • They handle better in the corners
  • They're more comfortable
  • They cost less
  • They last longer
  • They suffer less damage than the 21s
  • They look better (subjective, I know but I've never been a fan of the rubber band look).
I truly believe the only reason tesla offers them at all is that some people will pay more thinking more means better.

You can pull the "19" wheel covers off, add caps, and have a decent looking wheel.

I love my Dessert MS. (Cream, walnut and 🍒 red)

With the Yoke, have a clear view of the panel, and room to add a tablet running SMT which will show you any number of car parameters like power and charge level

FYI I placed my order for my model S Plaid on 11/1 and got a 2023 "P" VIN.
I didn't even know this was an option and assumed everything ordered in 2023 would be a model year 23 car.
Kind of annoying to take an extra depreciation hit like that but I also realize that it's the exact same car.
I took delivery exact one month later on 12/1, so yes, it makes sense that they pulled the exact specs I ordered to be "built" from existing inventory somewhere.

Reactions: easyev
I didn't even know this was an option and assumed everything ordered in 2023 would be a model year 23 car.
Kind of annoying to take an extra depreciation hit like that but I also realize that it's the exact same car.
I took delivery exact one month later on 12/1, so yes, it makes sense that they pulled the exact specs I ordered to be "built" from existing inventory somewhere.
Curious: how possible is it that, if I order a MSP today, the vehicle I would get is a 2024 model year? I assumed, as you did, that any vehicle I order in '23 would likely be a '23 VIN (existing inventory and all that).

Clock is ticking on getting a $1k discount for having an early CT res. (Dec. 21).

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask (not you specifically but people in general)

Curious: how possible is it that, if I order a MSP today, the vehicle I would get is a 2024 model year? I assumed, as you did, that any vehicle I order in '23 would likely be a '23 VIN (existing inventory and all that).

Clock is ticking on getting a $1k discount for having an early CT res. (Dec. 21).

I ordered MSP on Dec 6th. Current EDD is Jan 28 - March 10. At that point it will be a 2024 for sure. However, it is dependent on whether there is stock in your region of the model/spec you're ordering.

Don’t worry about it I bought my 2022 a couple of months ago, I love it!!!! 😍

Teslas get the year they were ordered in I believe?

I have a MSP I ordered in Nov and I'm picking it up Dec27. I was hoping for a 24 VIN but I got a 23. I was told by a rep that if I wanted to ensure that I got a 24 vin, I would have to wait until Jan to place the order - even cars with Jan delivery dates would probably be 23's. I've heard rumors of a price increase for the MSPs coming so I said screw it, I'll take the car Dec 27 and move on with my life

I have a MSP I ordered in Nov and I'm picking it up Dec27. I was hoping for a 24 VIN but I got a 23. I was told by a rep that if I wanted to ensure that I got a 24 vin, I would have to wait until Jan to place the order - even cars with Jan delivery dates would probably be 23's. I've heard rumors of a price increase for the MSPs coming so I said screw it, I'll take the car Dec 27 and move on with my life
Thank you! I guess what I'll do is order right before the end of this month to get the CT reservation discount and then just hope for the best as far as the VIN goes. Definitely don't want a price increase (but willing to gamble another week lol). Ultimately if the buyer is planning to keep the car a while then it shouldn't matter too much the VIN year. I tend to keep my cars 10-15 years.

Reactions: aerodyne and dsm363
Thank you! I guess what I'll do is order right before the end of this month to get the CT reservation discount and then just hope for the best as far as the VIN goes. Definitely don't want a price increase (but willing to gamble another week lol). Ultimately if the buyer is planning to keep the car a while then it shouldn't matter too much the VIN year. I tend to keep my cars 10-15 years.
If you keep a car that long it really won't matter as you said. The difference between model years in 10+ years will be more about condition of car and miles than anything else.

Reactions: msm859
Agreed. After 10 years model year won't matter. I'll sell in 3 years before the warranty ends...