Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75 RWD anything but discontinued . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bvictor29 Yes, You made a good choice. I got delivery of mine at the end of October and I am super happy with it. As a matter of fact, I personally think S75 RWD is a better choice than AWD when it comes to price and functionality etc... My MS does 0 to 60 miles in 4.2 or 0 to 100 km in 4.3 seconds. There is no way I want to use such acceleration regularly, let alone paying extra for P100D with insane mode for a mere 1.5 seconds difference which I would not even use.

For the range also, I am very happy with the range I can have with S75 RWD and again extra range doesn't justify the extra cost. Overall I think S75 RWD is a very good choice and I don't think it would depreciate more for being RWD. In fact over time this can be an advantage and might have less depreciation than higher models as it is more affordable. Like housing market, a studio apartment or one bedroom apartment is always more expensive than a 5 bedroom detached house in comparison as more people can afford cheaper ones. I am sure you will enjoy it. Best wishes
Thanks you!!!

Reactions: Farzinfar
Just took delivery of my 75 RWD Saturday and I am so glad I did, I love this car. Had a reservation on a Model 3 but was worried about the rebate and really wanted a S deep down. As luck would have it there was a blue Model 3 awaiting delivery in the center and I got a chance to look it over. The Model 3 was beautiful but no buyers remorse I love the S.
That’s awesome. Congrats. I’m still waiting for a delivery date, just put down deposit onSaturday.

Can someone explain what “uncorking” means?
The way they make it faster is a change in torque, max power and/or battery current. The 75D gets all three. The 100s get a change in max power and maybe current, we don't have enough data to know for sure yet. Torque results in the g-force you feel when the car launches. Max Power means longer launch acceleration and more power afterward. More current results in more passing speed, especially above 65 mph.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
Any updates? We are all VERY eager to know. There are a ton of Pre-July-2017 75 RWD owners out there who would kill for an uncork!

Perhaps you can also call Tesla and ask? Do you remember what the published 0-60 time was when you placed your order?

I should be able to run a few tests later this week. I can also call Tesla directly and ask. I wasn't sure if the app was the only mechanism. It looks like it is. Hope to have an update later this week. Thanks all.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
As I've noted - we are taking delivery of a Dec 2017 production 75D on Saturday . . .

Do we have to ask that it be uncorked? Whats is the proper phraseology? Should I ask the delivery coordinator ro do it before?

How do you know its been done?

Based on chatter I've seen around the forums, the performance enhancement should be enabled on cars coming out of the factory by default. It probably won't hurt to confirm it anyway.

...Do we have to ask that it be uncorked?...How do you know its been done?
If you want to do a 0-60 runlog on iOS Powertools or Android Dashboard for Tesla you'll know. The stats are here. For a RWD look for the S 75 (non D). On a high SoC run your max power should be above 305kW. If it is below 285kW they didn't uncork max power. The oomph at launch is more noticeable and is the torque setting which you have to calculate, or you can send us the runlog and we'll do it. Change in power below 75kW/s means corked. Above 95kW/s means uncorked. As we have no record of a new drive unit RWD ever being delivered corked you probably don't have to worry about it.

It is still possible that someone has a Jun 15th manufactured RWD car that got lost in inventory that never got uncorked and will do a quarter mile run for us, but I am not holding my breath.

@Krash I did a power test over the weekend on my S75 RWD and my max power was 335 with SOC of 87%. It was a short run as I was going to get some takeaways for lunch! :) and car batteries were not warm. Not sure if battery temp affects the performance/max power or not. Unfortunately could not perform 0-60 test. The result of 335 was not even with the full power. Any thought on it?

The way they make it faster is a change in torque, max power and/or battery current. The 75D gets all three. The 100s get a change in max power and maybe current, we don't have enough data to know for sure yet. Torque results in the g-force you feel when the car launches. Max Power means longer launch acceleration and more power afterward. More current results in more passing speed, especially above 65 mph.
The 100D gets all three also. The fact that the 100D accelerates faster (low to mid 3s instead of 4.2s) means that it has more torque, as torque is the direct cause of the acceleration.

What I mean is that the torque setting is the same 600Nm (+-1%), although it is true that the higher torque continues longer on the uncorked car until max power is reached. Whether the battery gets more current or not I don't have enough data to tell. We really need a corked 100 quarter mile to compare. Kudos to SucreTease for figuring out the power acceleration (kW/s) to torque formula.

You have to imagine the data shifted to align but if you do this comparison is demonstrative...

upload_2017-12-5_14-6-44.png

I called Tesla to see what they had in inventory, and they told me that if I want to wait just a bit, they have a few 75 (non-D's) being built still and I could have one right off the line. They had one very close to the configuration I wanted and so I bought it. I should have it on the 18th of December. ....

Here’s your confirmation that the 75 rwd has not been “discontinued”. Quote from today in another thread.

You never really know for sure. Tesla has recently moved lots of cars to “hidden inventory”. There were more like 60-70 black base cars a couple of weeks back. Probably some sold, some sent to service centers for loaners, and most likely many will suddenly reappear at some future time.

You never really know for sure. Tesla has recently moved lots of cars to “hidden inventory”. There were more like 60-70 black base cars a couple of weeks back. Probably some sold, some sent to service centers for loaners, and most likely many will suddenly reappear at some future time.
I am now the proud owner of one of those black 75 Model Ss (as is a buddy of mine). And I couldn’t be happier. Glad to join the club!!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
@Krash I did a power test over the weekend on my S75 RWD and my max power was 335 with SOC of 87%. It was a short run as I was going to get some takeaways for lunch! :) and car batteries were not warm. Not sure if battery temp affects the performance/max power or not. Unfortunately could not perform 0-60 test. The result of 335 was not even with the full power. Any thought on it?
Your car is definitely uncorked if you're getting 335kW. Congrats :)

I am BRAND new here, and just put down a deposit for a black 75 RWD S. I have been waiting for the model 3 but with the expiring tax credit and unlimited supercharging, I decided to go with the S. I was afraid that if I didn't love the 3 (since I have had no opportunity to see it in person let alone test drive it), I would have wished I had done the S. The 75RWD made the car affordable for me. I am surprised to see the model was "discontinued" as mine was literally just built. I do realize that the resale value may not be as high as AWD but figured it would be much higher than an AP1 vehicle (which was the other thing I was debating). Anyway, awaiting final credit approval but I'm told I should get delivery in the next couple of weeks and qualify for the tax credit which is set to expire.

I hope I made a good choice - I can't wait!

Thanks for posting that. You described my story to the letter. I’m picking up my black 75RWD with cream interior and AP tomorrow. Can’t wait. The lower RWD cost is what pushed me over the edge...and the uncertainty of the EV tax credit, free supercharging, and good financing. I’m told that my car was a “preproduction” car and just came off the line in Cali last week.

Reactions: bvictor29
AWD is worth the money. You get considerably better highway range over the RWD version.

10 extra miles rated range is hardly “considerably better.” And $5000 is certainly considerably more money.

The three awd loaners I’ve had exhibit a good bit more motor noise and two of them have had a subitle but very noticeable resonance or rumble at highway speeds. My rwd S85 is quieter. Almost no need for awd with the weather here so I’m glad my car is rwd.

Reactions: llirk