Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been asked an answered...

HPWC is now installed. I have the 85kw with twin chargers.

I'm still only getting 40 amps. I tried manually setting the amps to 80... plugged in the HPWC, reverted to 40 amps.

The HPWC is connected to a 100A breaker in a subpanel, which is fed by a 100A breaker at my main panel. We set the dip switches for a 100A feed.

I've called the LA service center, and they're pulling the logs. While they're doing that... figured I'd ask you brilliant folks and see if there was something obvious I was missing.

has your charge been depleted to the point where the twin chargers would kick in, we don't use very much during the day, just a run into toun and run around so maybe twenty or thirty miles of charge. I would expect when only topping up my charger will only supply a small amout to save the battery , I have seen the same as you, we will be going to Tampa next week which will really test the battery to about 2200 miles worht and then I will know when I put it on charge.

I'm still only getting 40 amps. I tried manually setting the amps to 80... plugged in the HPWC, reverted to 40 amps.

The HPWC is connected to a 100A breaker in a subpanel, which is fed by a 100A breaker at my main panel. We set the dip switches for a 100A feed.

I've called the LA service center, and they're pulling the logs. While they're doing that... figured I'd ask you brilliant folks and see if there was something obvious I was missing.
There is a dip switch inside the HPWC. You need to set it to charge at 80kW.

Two things:

* After changing DIP switches, you must reset the power to the HPWC by flipping the breaker off for 15 seconds at least & then back on. Most people forget this step. :)

* Make sure your car is set to 80A -- mine still showed "custom - 40A" after charging with the 14-50 for so long.

Last edited:
Practically, you have to subtract about six feet because you (or at least I) don't want the weight of the cord hanging from the plug.

My 6-50, but the L-shaped plug seems designed for it and it works fine. Is this really horrible? One day I'll have an HPWC and, well, it'll still be however many feet off the ground (it'll replace my 6-50 outlet). Is this really bad??? Take a look, if y'all don't mind:

plug-6-50a.jpg

plug-6-50b.jpg

My 6-50, but the L-shaped plug seems designed for it and it works fine. Is this really horrible? One day I'll have an HPWC and, well, it'll still be however many feet off the ground (it'll replace my 6-50 outlet). Is this really bad??? Take a look, if y'all don't mind:

How does the FMC reach your panel? Does it run along the floor, or in concrete? NEC 348.12 doesn't allow for FMC to be used in wet locations or where exposed to materials like oil/gasoline (so it shouldn't be used too close to the floor), or where subject to physical damage. Some inspectors would probably reject the conduit coming up from the floor for this reason, versus coming down the wall.

My 6-50, but the L-shaped plug seems designed for it and it works fine. Is this really horrible?

No. That part is fine. I was referring to the car end, not the NEMA end. My concern is that if the distance is too long, the entire cord is up in the air and that looked like it puts a lot of stress on the car receptacle. If the distance is shorter then the cord is on the ground and there is little stress. So the 18 feet is really about 12 feet because of the distance from the plug to the ground on both ends.

No. That part is fine. I was referring to the car end, not the NEMA end. My concern is that if the distance is too long, the entire cord is up in the air and that looked like it puts a lot of stress on the car receptacle. If the distance is shorter then the cord is on the ground and there is little stress. So the 18 feet is really about 12 feet because of the distance from the plug to the ground on both ends.

Thanks--I was thinking of other comments about the plug end and thought you meant that. The car end for me goes almost straight down--not stretched through the air. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

How does the FMC reach your panel? Does it run along the floor, or in concrete? NEC 348.12 doesn't allow for FMC to be used in wet locations or where exposed to materials like oil/gasoline (so it shouldn't be used too close to the floor), or where subject to physical damage. Some inspectors would probably reject the conduit coming up from the floor for this reason, versus coming down the wall.

We have a subpanel in the garage--not feasible to use for this without spending a ton of money. So that FMC goes into the house a foot up from the floor, which hopefully makes it better. Then it goes between floors a ways till it comes out in an HVAC closet. It goes through a wall and then it's a rigid pipe along the basement ceiling till it eventually finds the main panel.

I'm not great at describing these things, sorry, but from what you say I think that should be okay, hopefully--it doesn't go to the garage floor. I just won't let an inspector come see it.... ;-)

Is anyone still awaiting the HPWC that has already taken possession of his/her Model S? If so, when did you take delivery? I'm trying to gauge the current backlog.

I don't think that will help you since some people get theirs pretty soon after their car whilst folks who got their cars last year don't have their HPWC yet.

Over a week and no response from ownership.