Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging history of Wall connector in the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why my tesla charge status is different then wall connector charge history in the app? For example the charge status shows it added 48 kWh while Wall connector app shows it added 52.8 kWh? Why they are so different? Does wall connector status include preconditioning the Tesla as well? While charge status only shows how much power was added to the battery only?

My good guesses: 1) The Wall Connector does more than just passing 240V and xx Amps to the car battery charger).
Charging efficiency is NEVER 100%, The charger (in the car) itself consumes some energy to do its job.
Of course these are just knowledge on the surface, not deep enough to really understand exactly what;s going on during charging.

Upvote 0
My good guesses: 1) The Wall Connector does more than just passing 240V and xx Amps to the car battery charger).
Well, sure, it does a couple of other things that are unrelated to the charging act itself. It has some sensing and monitoring. It's verifying things like that the ground isn't accidentally floating or disconnected. It's checking that voltages are within a reasonable acceptable range. It's doing some temperature sensing to make sure things aren't overheating, etc.

But as far as your implication that it is doing something related to charging efficiency? No, it isn't. It is literally just closing a switch to make that connection from the circuit to the car.
Charging efficiency is NEVER 100%, The charger (in the car) itself consumes some energy to do its job.
Right. The onboard chargers in the cars are what is doing the real technical work of voltage conversion and rectifying and such and has some efficiency factor to it.

Upvote 0
Interesting 2 days with Wall connector charge history

16/1/24
SoC 50% when plugged in at home. Charge Limit 50%. It charged at 5A for about 5min then auto stopped. Sentry off. Did not poll the car. Rainy day - ambient temp 22C in garage. No scheduled preconditioning. Next morning SoC 50%.

17/1/24
SoC 44% when plugged in at home. Pressed charge stop immediately after confirming Wall connector handshake and charging the car. Next morning SoC 43%. Again sentry off and did not poll the car. Similar ambient temps. No scheduled preconditioning.

Not important to me what the energy was used for. I plug the car in each night so that I can schedule precondition in the morning. However on both days next morning schedule preconditioning was unexpectedly turned off.

I'm assuming that when charging limit is reached and the car remains plugged in that subsequent power draw is via the Wall connector

It is more interesting that even though charging is manually stopped below SoC 50%, it will still draw on Wall power.

Comments and insights appreciated

IMG_2502.jpeg

Upvote 0