Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HPWC arrived today. I was originally told not to expect it until late April. I planned to install a NEMA 6-50 but my DS told me that they were out of 6-50 adapters so they'd try to get me an HPWC. Solar City is installing as I type.

I still do not have my HPWC, and since I do not have twin chargers, I was only really buying it for convenience and looks.

I only plug in a couple of times a week at home, so it's really not $1200's worth (plus shipping!) of inconvenience. On the assumption they'll eventually sell the UMC (for $500 I think I read?), has anyone succeeded in cancelling their HPWC order?

Answering my own question, but yes, you can cancel for a refund. I emailed Ownershipba few hours ago, and they replied promptly saying they'd cut me a check. I'll get a spare UMC when they're available.

All,

I just got my HPWC delivered today.

I did want to note for others, twice I called Ownership over that last few days checking in to see if it had shipped yet. Both times I was told that it had not shipped yet, and they didn't have any insight into when it would but felt that they would be able to see if it had. Well now that I have it, and it's tracking number I can see that it was shipped 8 days ago, and while Ownership tried to be helpful in checking if it had been shipped and offer me a tracking number if it had, they could not see that it had in fact been already shipped to me. So, if you are waiting, I wouldn't pester Ownership much about it, as the answers you get about the shipment of your HPWC may not be accurate.

Peter

I just took a moment to look at the paperwork that came with the HPWC. I didn't receive the cable organizer (has anyone?) and this note mentions it being on backorder. As you can see, it says "Once the cable organizer part is available in February, we will ship you one." It appears that they printed these quite a long time ago. I got a hose rack to hold it in the mean time, but has anyone heard when the cable organizers are supposed to ship?

HPWC Insert LOW.jpg

I just took a moment to look at the paperwork that came with the HPWC. I didn't receive the cable organizer (has anyone?) and this note mentions it being on backorder. As you can see, it says "Once the cable organizer part is available in February, we will ship you one." It appears that they printed these quite a long time ago. I got a hose rack to hold it in the mean time, but has anyone heard when the cable organizers are supposed to ship?

View attachment 19306

Quite possibly, it's February 2014...

I received my beautiful S today in Anchorage, Alaska. I noticed that my charger was only "filling" at a rate of 40 mph. The screen shows 79A/233V. I called Ownership, and John told me that Tesla is currently imposing a software limitation of 60A on the HPWC, and therefore I am not getting the full 80A. Has anyone heard this?

Here's a pic:

nuhysu6u.jpg

Last edited:
We don't know yet whether they are planning do to a broad hardware replacement or not. They've discussed firmware updates, and they've replaced at least one HPWC (mine) already.

My guess is that they will send out two new fuses (from a new supplier or a known good batch) and ask you to have your electrician replace them. Replacing the unit seems silly for a fuse problem.

My guess is that they will send out two new fuses (from a new supplier or a known good batch) and ask you to have your electrician replace them. Replacing the unit seems silly for a fuse problem.

hope they include the cable hangar as well! I bought two spare fuses as you mentioned earlier just in case. No problems so far but, other than 110V, my HPWC is the only way for me to charge my car. Cheap insurance for $50 to have my own spares. Appreciate the link!

Last edited: