Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received mine at work! Woohoo!

I'll be installing it tonight. :) I hope it can charge at 80A. I've got a firmware upgrade to install too. I'm already at 4.3. Maybe that'll enable 80A charging?

80A is available, it's just that you have to bump it up each time as the car will set itself at 60A.

As for 80A, we still don't have official word on what the fix is. I still know this - 100A fast-acting fuses like Tesla uses in the HPWC should not blow at current levels they are drawing. Either the car's chargers are doing something wrong which permits 100A to flow through, or the fuses are defective.

When I plugged in my HPWC for the first time last night, a pop up appeared on screen with a picture of the HPWC saying something like: "If your HPWC looks like this, it is not able to take 80A right now until it is upgraded." Leads me to think that maybe there will be a different-looking HPWC in the future? Maybe some people have already received it and that's why they can charge at 80A?

In any case, I've emailed ownership to ask for an official word on this. We need some facts. :)

Now that I have 4.4 rather than an early version of 4.3, I am getting the same pop up screen zax123 describes.

Yet strangely enough, I got the pop up BEFORE upgrading to 4.4 last night... so it must have been added in a later version of 4.3.

Am I the only one that thinks TM should be a BIT more transparent as to what's going on? :) Hopefully ownership will answer my email...

I got my HPWC today.
photo 3.JPG

didn't come with a cable organizer. got this note:
photo-1.jpg

but I already have one anyway I got off of Amazon for my NEMA 14-50:
photo-2.jpg

How'd you get it fixed? Did Tesla provide you with new fuses, or a completely new unit, or did you order fuses elsewhere?
They replaced the unit because they wanted to investigate the first unit. (Apparently I was one of the early ones to report the fuse issue, or they just really want a lot to investigate with. ;))

The new unit was run at 70A then 60A cap. I've never run it higher. Still awaiting guidance from Tesla, as I'm not a fan of dropping fuse money on the ground repeatedly.

- - - Updated - - -

When I plugged in my HPWC for the first time last night, a pop up appeared on screen with a picture of the HPWC saying something like: "If your HPWC looks like this, it is not able to take 80A right now until it is upgraded." Leads me to think that maybe there will be a different-looking HPWC in the future? Maybe some people have already received it and that's why they can charge at 80A?

In any case, I've emailed ownership to ask for an official word on this. We need some facts. :)
Would love a camera shot of that screen if you see it again...

They replaced the unit because they wanted to investigate the first unit. (Apparently I was one of the early ones to report the fuse issue, or they just really want a lot to investigate with. ;))

The new unit was run at 70A then 60A cap. I've never run it higher. Still awaiting guidance from Tesla, as I'm not a fan of dropping fuse money on the ground repeatedly.

Ok, thanks. It's still my intention to run mine at 80A where possible, and if the fuses blow I'll replace them with another type T fuse from Bussman rather than Edison.

As for the "new" HPWC vs. the "old" HPWC, after reading the notice more closely I'm speculating that there won't be a new shape to the HPWC, but rather it's just a warning for users of the HPWC (vs. other high-power connectors a la OpenEVSE, Sun Country, CS100, etc.)

As for the "new" HPWC vs. the "old" HPWC, after reading the notice more closely I'm speculating that there won't be a new shape to the HPWC, but rather it's just a warning for users of the HPWC (vs. other high-power connectors a la OpenEVSE, Sun Country, CS100, etc.)

FYI, OpenEVSE has no problem charging at 75A, though I do still get the exact same warning, and have to manually adjust my charging current from 60A to 75A each time I plug it in, it's rather annoying at this point. They should use their "location aware" feature so they don't have to keep this popping up.

I just got my HPWC yesterday. I have no idea if it is early or late model. Any ideas on how I can tell the difference?

I don't believe there's a difference.

When you take the front cover off the HPWC, are the fuses still made by Edison?

(That right there is comical in itself, that Edison-brand fuses are blowing to cause problems for Tesla's HPWC...)

I just got off the phone with Tesla HQ and the customer service person I spoke to told me that a firmware upgrade (likely 4.5) would fix the 60A limit situation. He told me that he had spoken to the engineers and that they had told him this. It's a lot of he says/she says so I am simply passing on this message and can't say with much confidence that it will really fix our problem. It surprises me that a firmware upgrade can stop physical fuses from blowing.

He mentioned that the engineers suspected, at first, that it was a hardware problem with the fuses but that they seemed to have isolated the problem to the way the S is drawing power from the HPWC. As an engineer myself, it all sounds a bit fishy, so I believe this isn't the last we've heard of the problem (or its solution).