Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine were way worse than that. But the doors were aligned, and touch up paint worked. I can see exposed primer where the door post hinge has moved.
1000005047.jpg

Yeah, I mean, wtf happened here?

The last minute end of quarter push is on. Got my first ever phone call from Tesla and they wanted me to accept delivery of a blue model a few hours away (my order is SG). They weren’t going to charge me for the color difference. I’ve got a vin with a EDD window that starts next week so I opted to keep what I’ve got although I don’t yet have a scheduled delivery date. I’ve waited 5 months from my order date so far so I’ll keep waiting on the one I want.

Reactions: nyucla and ck1891
Speaking with my delivery advisor, it seems my order would be cancelled if I reject delivery, since I already had one hold and a different VIN match. So, it's $2750 for a new order... maybe worth taking it.
REJECT!

Hell, even I can't unsee that hinge. It's like they did multiple hammer hits and touch ups.

Greater than zero chance Tesla hates you ...and other early adopters.

Reactions: Propofoln and teko
Don’t think I’ve ever even looked at a hinge in any of my cars in the last 35 years. And, you can’t see both sides of your car at the same time, so who cares if they are barely different? Looks like they can just replace that aero cover and you are good. It is amazing how little effort they take in making the delivery a good experience though.
A closer look reveals that the rim, not just the cover, is damaged.

Don’t think I’ve ever even looked at a hinge in any of my cars in the last 35 years. And, you can’t see both sides of your car at the same time, so who cares if they are barely different? Looks like they can just replace that aero cover and you are good. It is amazing how little effort they take in making the delivery a good experience though.
Unfortunately it's not just the aero cover. I was hoping that. The rim underneath protrudes out, so the aero cover doesn't protect it.

Reactions: aerodyne
Agreed. The hinges (hinges!!!) are a non-issue. There should be no argument over swapping out the wheel which should take them 5 minutes. Certainly wouldn’t spend more money on waiting for a new car.
Yeah. I ended up accepting delivery to avoid joining the $2750 club. I noted everything and took pictures. Hopefully they can touch up the paint and swap out the wheel. They wanted to have a rim repair guy work on it, which I'm sure will look fine, but come on. It's a new car.

View attachment 1033416
Yeah, I mean, wtf happened here?

Hmm. So first the shouldered bolt was removed and replaced with non shouldered...which is pretty typical. What is not typical is seeing the edge of the bolt hole as there's no enough adjustment even with the non shouldered bolt. This means they machined the hinge hole larger to get more adjustment which is worrisome.

Can you show pictures of the liftgate from the rear dead on and pictures of each side of the liftgate where it meets the bumper to show how flush it is?

The last minute end of quarter push is on. Got my first ever phone call from Tesla and they wanted me to accept delivery of a blue model a few hours away (my order is SG). They weren’t going to charge me for the color difference. I’ve got a vin with a EDD window that starts next week so I opted to keep what I’ve got although I don’t yet have a scheduled delivery date. I’ve waited 5 months from my order date so far so I’ll keep waiting on the one I want.
Walk or ride a bike before you accept a EoQ or EoY car. Just my hard won 2 cents.