Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The overlfush at the back of the rear driver's door is adjusted by the striker on the actual door. Is it the same on the bottom of the door? i.e. is equally over flush from top to bottom? If so, then it's a striker adjusment. If it's overflush at the top, and underflush at the bottom, then there needs to be a hinge adjustment to make it equal before the striker is adjusted.

Additional adjustability of the hinges is obtained by removing the shouldered bolts as needed and replacing with unshouldered bolts to allow the hinge more movement(the bolts on the door side that control in and out adjustment).

Can you show a picture that shows the entire door like you did with the closeup? Same angle but further back.

Attachments

• IMG_3190.jpeg
    IMG_3190.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3192.jpeg
    IMG_3192.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3191.jpeg
    IMG_3191.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3193.jpeg
    IMG_3193.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 10
@RyanC1384 none of those show the overflush because of the angle. Can you show a picture like the one you have of the closeup that's from behind looking towards the front of the car but include the entire back edge of the door?

The previous picture showed it was overflush with the rear quarter panel on the top but it didn't show the if the bottom of the door was the same.

@RyanC1384 none of those show the overflush because of the angle. Can you show a picture like the one you have of the closeup that's from behind looking towards the front of the car but include the entire back edge of the door?

The previous picture showed it was overflush with the rear quarter panel on the top but it didn't show the if the bottom of the door was the same.
This help?

Attachments

• IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3196.jpeg
    IMG_3196.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3195.jpeg
    IMG_3195.jpeg
    806.2 KB · Views: 11
As we usher in the month of April, I leave you with three very important words: Front. Bumper. Camera. Food for thought as we head into the end of March and Easter Sunday.

Here is to April 1 bringing us many more “announcements.” Cheers.
FSD update was a blessing for Teslascope. Hyping that up distracting from their debunked rumor lol.

I will tell you Mercedes is having similar issues with paint, I think it is the new environmental issues with water based paint. My brother has an SL63 AMG where the paint issues are concerning for a $200k car, gaps are good, but the fact that they had to give him a battery tender on a car he drives 2-3 times a week is also concerning. I would say it is difficult to get a perfect car from anyone. Maybe Toyota, but as someone else stated, they are not exciting to own or drive. But, they will always get your from A to B consistently.
I was at the Mercedes dealer a couple weeks ago test driving some SUVs and the paint of the cars in the showroom was terrible. The orange peel was the worst I’ve seen on a car and I’ve owned a Dodge before. Throttle House did a review of the SL63 and commented on how bad the paint is.

Tesla is really in the quarter-end rush. Delivery for my Dec 18 order was set for Saturday at 10:30 am. Manufacturer on Mar 18, when VIN was assigned on Mar 21, the car was on a train to Chicago. Car is now in Chicago awaiting pickup by the truck that will bring it to Minnesota. Arrival is estimated at 2pm on Saturday and pickup now set for 4pm on Saturday. Assume they won’t spend much time cleaning it up. Since they are closed on Sunday, they are cutting it pretty tight.

This help?

Yup. So it looks l the top of the door is over flush but the bottom is not. So this results in a cascade of adjustments starting at the back door. The back door at the bottom hinge must come out or the the top of the door at the hinge must go in or a combination of both depending on how close the front of the back door is to the body. Then the front door will have to be adjusted by the same amount so it's even flush with with back door. Then the striker on the back door will need to move out just slightly although the overflushness won't be as obvious when it splits the difference with the bottom, but still the striker should come out about 1mm. Can't tell from the photos, but if after adjusting the front door the front of the front door is no longer even flush with the front fender, the front fender will need a slight adjustment as well.

My guess is your mobile service guy realized the cascade of adjustments this would cause and decided it would be too much time for his mobile schedule as he had appointments with others as well.

Reactions: RyanC1384
Yup. So it looks l the top of the door is over flush but the bottom is not. So this results in a cascade of adjustments starting at the back door. The back door at the bottom hinge must come out or the the top of the door at the hinge must go in or a combination of both depending on how close the front of the back door is to the body. Then the front door will have to be adjusted by the same amount so it's even flush with with back door. Then the striker on the back door will need to move out just slightly although the overflushness won't be as obvious when it splits the difference with the bottom, but still the striker should come out about 1mm. Can't tell from the photos, but if after adjusting the front door the front of the front door is no longer even flush with the front fender, the front fender will need a slight adjustment as well.

My guess is your mobile service guy realized the cascade of adjustments this would cause and decided it would be too much time for his mobile schedule as he had appointments with others as well.
Does this strike you as one of those situations where I should just leave it alone because the service center could make it worse? Or take it in?

Does this strike you as one of those situations where I should just leave it alone because the service center could make it worse? Or take it in?

Depends on your nature. All of mine was worse than yours and I won't let Tesla touch panel alignment because they won't go through the cascade of adjustments to get it right. I did the 4 doors, front fenders, and hood myself. The rear hatch has alignment issues that can't be fixed entirely by adjusting it. In fact, it came badly adjusted to hide other problems chief of which is a roof that was installed when not on a totally flat surface locking a slight tilt to the tops of the rear quarter panels making the liftgate opening just slightly out of square. It's only off by about 3/16ths but it's enough to mess things up. It appears to have happened at least several recent MSs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot more. Most of the photos shown aren't at the right angles to tell but the few that have been shown that are good enough show the same issue.

One of those telltale signs the right side of the liftgate is higher than the lift caused by the drivers side liftgate being too low on the hinge done to hide the gap between the quarter panel that was increased when the left side of the liftgate was moved further away from the a-pillar to swing it back into center due to the out of squareness.

My wife says she can't see what I'm talking about. The PPF guy I like that I had correct some things swears I'm in the 1% of people that notice these sorts of things. My failure is that the I assumed all the stuff I found at delivery could be fixed and much of the car was perfect. It was way better than my EOQ MXP was.

I've been mildly annoyed by the removal of USS in the new S. It made parking unnecessarily difficult. It asked me to stop when I am still 3 feet away from the curb. Is this to be expected with the Tesla (lack of) Vision? Does the car just want to park itself in a 5 acre open space? How do y'all get around this?

Last edited:
I've been mildly annoyed by the removal of USS in the new S. It made parking unnecessarily difficult. It asked me to stop when I am still 3 feet away from the curb. Is this to be expected with the Tesla (lack of) Vision? Does the car just want to park itself in a 5 acre open space? How do y'all get around this?
I just park 🤷🏻‍♂️ genuinely never had any issues (radar or not) with parking. I know the front lip is low, so if I am pulling forward I guesstimate. Only scraped it once and learned my lesson. But I would say 95% of the spots I park in, I reverse.

@sorka Thanks for all your help with alignment issues here. But I gotta' ask... How the &^%$ do you know all of this stuff? Have you worked in a body shop before? Worked for Tesla on the production line or in service? Seriously, I consider myself fairly handy with fixing things but I would not consider doing all the adjustments you can do and have done. Not being sarcastic or negative here, I'd really like to know.

For example, I have a 3D printer and completely understood what you did with the bolts on the hinges. But I'd be afraid I'd damage the door (by dropping it) if I took it off. Plus I figure I'd put it back on worse than when I started.