Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They could easily just give us the stalks back too. People would pay for it. Is this an upgrade to existing steering wheels or a completely new wheel?
Appears to be new part numbers for the wheel and airbag. They easily could do stalks too (literally model 3 parts are a direct fit fit and would just need software), but since Tesla seems to have removed the stalks on everything else, I don’t think that’s in the cards. Looks like the guys who make the s3xy buttons are working on a stalk solution though, which would probably be good enough.

Reactions: dsm363
Appears to be new part numbers for the wheel and airbag. They easily could do stalks too (literally model 3 parts are a direct fit fit and would just need software), but since Tesla seems to have removed the stalks on everything else, I don’t think that’s in the cards. Looks like the guys who make the s3xy buttons are working on a stalk solution though, which would probably be good enough.
Thanks. Just installed those buttons. But a little sad that people feel the need to go aftermarket on a $75,000+ car for something as basic as turn signal stalks.

Thanks. Just installed those buttons. But a little sad that people feel the need to go aftermarket on a $75,000+ car for something as basic as turn signal stalks.
They’re removing stuff to cut cost and presumably move towards automation. This isn’t for driving experience. Look at cybertruck they aren’t even painting the vehicle anymore and they’ll normalize that cost being shifted to the consumer with wraps.

Reactions: teko and dsm363
Reactions: dsm363
Hopefully. That article looks like a collection of the same rumors we've been hearing for a while.
I would think the steering wheel will be available for purchase. Doubt the camera and almost certainly not any efficiency improvements but those would most likely add 5% to range or less.

Looks like same person who found it in the firmware before found even more evidence in latest version so sounds like it's coming out soon.

I would think the steering wheel will be available for purchase. Doubt the camera and almost certainly not any efficiency improvements but those would most likely add 5% to range or less.

Looks like same person who found it in the firmware before found even more evidence in latest version so sounds like it's coming out soon.
Given the EPC changes, my bet is the 2024 models are already being made with the new wheel. I doubt the front camera or rgb are happening particularly soon

Reactions: teko and dsm363
Given the EPC changes, my bet is the 2024 models are already being made with the new wheel. I doubt the front camera or rgb are happening particularly soon
Makes sense. Came so close to getting the new steering wheel. I was going to wait until spring but Tesla forced that narrow window for Supercharging transfer. But the car is super nice. Really happy with how far the car has come in 12 years.

Hopefully it's not more than $700 for new steering wheel.

Reactions: teko
Curious if anyone has been successful in updating between yoke/wheel configuration using the service mode and having the Tesla display the new yoke/wheel configuration? I gave this a try and did a power off/on but the AC visual still shows the round wheel instead of the yoke.
Never mind, resolved. Just needed to do a scroll wheel reset/reboot, now everything is showing the correct wheel/yoke configuration.

Last edited:
Never mind, resolved. Just needed to do a scroll wheel reset/reboot, now everything is showing the correct wheel/yoke configuration.

Wow, I would have thought at the minimum you'd need a tire size change to do a real hard reset. At most, I wouldn't have been surprised if it needed a software update which you can do in the service menu to force a re-install of the existing version.

I rode motorcycles for years. Using my thumbs for turn signals, horn, lights etc comes pretty natural.

Some months ago I took my X to service and showed them some of the covering was wearing off. They said they were developing a new version of the yoke and would install it for free when it became available. Many will find a center mounted horn pad to be welcome.

Future Tesla designs will include 48V infrastructure, enabling steer by wire and no need to hand over hand in tight corners. Will be a huge improvement.

Wow, I would have thought at the minimum you'd need a tire size change to do a real hard reset. At most, I wouldn't have been surprised if it needed a software update which you can do in the service menu to force a re-install of the existing version.
I always figured the power off/on option also did the screen reboot as well, but I guess not 🤷‍♂️ . I was thinking the same as well and was going to wait for the next software update to see if it worked before maybe scheduling a SC appt. But then I figured I give the scroll wheel reset a try just in case, and surprisingly it worked. Happy it's updated and didn't have to schedule a SC appt.

I rode motorcycles for years. Using my thumbs for turn signals, horn, lights etc comes pretty natural.

Me too. 20+ years before I gave it up. Thinking of getting an FJR1300 which would be a big sport tourer compared to my earlier days of CBRs and similar. I was fine with yoke turn signals but there's a big difference between the Yoke on a Tesla and bike handlebars: You always have your hands on the handlebars and the lock to lock is about a half turn. With the yoke, because it's not a variable steering ratio, the yoke goes multiple turns in parking lot and parking maneuvers so you can't keep your hands in the same place. Also, at anything more than a couple mph, a motorcycle steers by counter steering to start the turn and then straightening out to hold the turn. This requires fractions of a degree changes and only for entering and exit turns, not holding them.

I wish they weren’t capacitive though. I injured my thumb and had to have it wrapped for a bit, and the buttons just wouldn’t respond
Agreed. Real buttons would be great. We don't need a ton of them, but just a few. The capacitive buttons on the door handles are the worst. They had a perfect reasonable button on the 3/Y that worked great, and they broke it with capacitive buttons on the S/X. Even after two years I'd still miss the door open button once in a while and struggle to open the door.

Reactions: dsm363 and teko
Me too. 20+ years before I gave it up. Thinking of getting an FJR1300 which would be a big sport tourer compared to my earlier days of CBRs and similar. I was fine with yoke turn signals but there's a big difference between the Yoke on a Tesla and bike handlebars: You always have your hands on the handlebars and the lock to lock is about a half turn. With the yoke, because it's not a variable steering ratio, the yoke goes multiple turns in parking lot and parking maneuvers so you can't keep your hands in the same place. Also, at anything more than a couple mph, a motorcycle steers by counter steering to start the turn and then straightening out to hold the turn. This requires fractions of a degree changes and only for entering and exit turns, not holding them.
Tiny electric motorcycles might get you hooked again. :)

I've been commuting for over 5 years on a Sur Ron Light Bee. It's light enough that I roll it right into my office, so I avoid paying $188 / month for parking at work.

Some months ago I took my X to service and showed them some of the covering was wearing off. They said they were developing a new version of the yoke and would install it for free when it became available. Many will find a center mounted horn pad to be welcome.

Future Tesla designs will include 48V infrastructure, enabling steer by wire and no need to hand over hand in tight corners. Will be a huge improvement.
I don't think you're turning hand over hand on a motorcycle though so your hands can stay in place.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot