Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Airbag Recall of Retrofit Tesla Yoke Steering Wheels on model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this Recent November 2023 Airbag Recall affecting 159 Model S and X Teslas made in 2021-2023, I believe there may be many out there that made the switch to aftermarket Yoke steering wheels and have the same Airbag mismatch called out by the Recall for Model S/X vehicles. I wasn't aware the Airbags were different and didn't think to check until this Recall. In fact, many sites that sell aftermarket yokes include " using your existing (round steering wheel) Airbag for the new Yoke when installing. For us Model 3/Y owners looking to switch, there is risk in buying an aftermarket Yoke and using the Round Steering Wheel Airbag on it.

The Round Steering wheel Airbags depend on the support from the steering wheel, the proper Yoke Steering Wheel Airbag is actually " U" shaped from what I've been able to find online. Per the recall defect description:

" Based on the variance in design of the round steering wheel and the yoke steering wheel, a different driver airbag is designed for each steering wheel. During vehicle servicing of certain vehicles to retrofit the vehicle with the alternate steering wheel per the customer’s request, a round steering wheel may have been equipped with a driver airbag variant designed for the yoke steering wheel airbag and a yoke steering wheel may have been equipped with a driver airbag variant designed for the round steering wheel."

So many questions now. If you have an aftermarket Yoke and used the OEM Round steering wheel Airbag with it, that would mean that if the airbag deployed, it would not work to keep your head away from the glass and dash? Can always hope this never happens, but hope is not a plan, right? Totally bummed, this was my next upgrade, but will have to find the full setup: Yoke Steering with Yoke Airbag for my Model 3.

Last edited: