Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ambassadors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I am Italian and the dictionary does not help me. What is a swag?

It's a term used, usually at trade shows, to describe small promotion items given away to potential customers. T-shirts, hats, coffee mugs, key chains, remote-control cars, and so on.

(it's pronounced like German, "schwag", and sometimes spelled that way, too)

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotional_item

I think swag is about all we could reasonably expect from Tesla at this point if anything but I like the idea.

It seems like swag is the consensus for compensation. IMO if a significant number of people (say around 10 or 20) finalize after testing your personal car, me thinks you should at least get a new set of tires and maybe a free year maintenance. When Tesla did their test drive I would guess they had to replace tires after a while not to mention ware and tare and time. Seems only fare ...

[mod note: a portion of this post has been moved to Grammar Spelling Misteaks :) ]

Such programs become impossible to track and administer fairly, and transform the motivation for "showing off". After a while, they create distrust in the public.

Bad, bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

There are two distinct meanings, in this context, it's from pirates' loot, nice things given by a company to keep customers happy. The other meaning is from engineering, Stupid Wild Assed Guess.
Alternately, Scientific Wild Assed Guess!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to pop people's bubbles here....but it's not so much that we're great ambassadors of the Model S that sells the car.
The Model S is it's own ambassador and we're just lucky to be along for the ride.
As many people have said or thought after their first test drive....
All you have to do to sell this car is let someone get inside and take it for a ride one time....and they will want one.

Food for thought: Solar City offers $400 bonuses for residential referrals and $1,000 for commercial referrals.
If Elon and SC can do it, why not Elon and TM?

I would certainly consider it when the huge backlog of orders shrinks and demand-generation becomes more important.

Sorry to pop people's bubbles here....but it's not so much that we're great ambassadors of the Model S that sells the car.
The Model S is it's own ambassador and we're just lucky to be along for the ride.
All you have to do to sell this car is let someone get inside and take it for a ride one time....and they will want one.

Image is a big factor simply in consideration (the willingness of the consumer even to consider a car enough to take a closer look) and owners' attitudes can play a large part in the image.

Image is a big factor simply in consideration (the willingness of the consumer even to consider a car enough to take a closer look) and owners' attitudes can play a large part in the image.

You are right also because Tesla store network is not complete all over the world. For instance in Italy there is only one store in the North of Italy (Milan). In the capital (Rome) there is no Tesla store. In these conditions owner's attitude may be relevant.

You are correct...and the image has a lot to do with the reported first impressions that we have stamped on the Model S.
I am also correct in saying that...the Model S deserves that image because it really is such a great car.

I guess we could be rewarded for referrals with free time charging up at a Supercharger station.
(Am I wrong in assuming that there will be a charge using a supercharger on the highway?)

As a Roadster owner, I disagree...there is still such a large portion of the general public that have no clue what is going on in the EV world...practically every time I speak with someone about the Roadster, they are genuinely shocked to learn about it's capabilities...especially it's range.

I'm finding no difference when morphing the conversation from the Roadster to the Model S...the average Guy on the street is still not paying attention...

I agree the Model S can sell itself, but, it still needs someone else to help with the "introduction" ...:wink: