Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or its Y variant will have falcon wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would LOVE falcon wings on my Model 3. So much easier to park and get in and out of -- particularly in major cities where space is a bit tighter.

I'll bet, this must be all your dreams come true...I'm an avid listener of your podcast so have heard all about your DMC history, so a Model III with falcon wing doors seems like the ideal combo for you!

I had hoped they were far enough along in the Model 3 design that there would not be an "or" in that sentence. Now I'm worried about March.

March is just the basic unveiling of the 3 and, as we know, things can change. What will it look like, not a problem.

I hope and exoect the falcon wings are a Y option. One word: taxi! Passenger-comfy small to mid-size crossover with low running cost and easy ingress and egress, which could make it meet disability standards. Hope the doors prove reliable. Also want small turning radius for that. Wouldn't need to stand in the way of 3 development either.

From Franz'z era at Mazda, Mazda Ryuga:
mazda_Ryuga_concept_DV_07_DAS_01.jpg

those wheels look familiar.

The Falcon wing doors still allow for roof rack, as per Elon's tweet. He said the rack is gauranteed stable up to 140MpH.
Actually, the lack of an opening pano roof would be a bigger deal.

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't mention their stability once you put something on them. :smile: Kidding, of course.. kinda.
Yeah, I'm not sure I trust suction cups to hold my stuff! :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 96564
Definitely a weirdmobile, but I kind of like it. Gotta wonder about the rollover protection sans B pillar, but I guess they made it work on the X.

I find it hard to believe they will be on the 3, given the comment about it being less ambitious. Whether it end up on the Y probably depends on how popular they end up being on the X. I think people that expect the next gen CUV to be announced along with the 3 in march are being wildly optimistic.

i thing 2 falcon wing doors on the model 3 would be pretty nifty and possibly cheaper than manufacturing 4 standard doors. who knows. imho from an aesthetic point of view the falcon wing doors together with normal front doors look a bit weird. On its own i'd quite like them though.

i thing 2 falcon wing doors on the model 3 would be pretty nifty and possibly cheaper than manufacturing 4 standard doors. who knows. imho from an aesthetic point of view the falcon wing doors together with normal front doors look a bit weird. On its own i'd quite like them though.

One problem that just occurred to me. If you have falcon wing doors only, the "buried in one foot of snow problem" becomes much worse than with the X.

You have a catch-22. You can't open the car door to get your snow brush until you brush off the snow with the brush that's trapped in the car.

On the X, you have 2 vertical standard doors; you can leave the brush in the front seat. With only falcon wings, you have a problem.

One problem that just occurred to me. If you have falcon wing doors only, the "buried in one foot of snow problem" becomes much worse than with the X.

You have a catch-22. You can't open the car door to get your snow brush until you brush off the snow with the brush that's trapped in the car.

On the X, you have 2 vertical standard doors; you can leave the brush in the front seat. With only falcon wings, you have a problem.
This can be a problem even if you have vertical doors. I once had to get though 1/2" of ice to open the drivers door, start the heating and get my snow brush. That took effort.

At least the Teslas have heating you can start remotely, so ice and snow should have started melting and sliding off the car by the time you get there. The brush might be easier to get to in the trunk or frunk, if you leave it there. I doubt it will be a huge issue.

All I know is there is no way the Model 3 will be out on time and on budget if they go with Falcon wing doors. And personally, I don't think it makes sense at all in two row vehicles, esp. a sedan. I'm of the opinion that it makes sense as a minivan door replacement (meaning for cars where third row access is a concern and ease of child seat installation is important).

I imagine the M3 won't have FWD, just as others mentioned due to cost, complexity, and also due to cost cutting and efficiency being the big defining factor of the M3.

A pricier CUV version though, that'd be pretty neat (if I were in the market for something along those lines). I imagine it'd be an option at that time though as a smaller CUV doesn't make as much sense for general purposes than it does for the MX.

I'm puzzled as to why you think a snow brush cannot be stored in the trunk or the frunk.

Wow. That is awesome. Was Franz responsible for that concept car? I can see that on the Model Y SUV/CUV. I cannot see it on the Model 3 sedan, too expensive. But I would love it on the Y and can envision it working well as long as the Y does not have a third row, which I assume it will not.
View attachment 96564