Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met a test team from Audi at the Gilroy Supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Audi or anyone who claims to have heard from Audi says anything about plug-in anything, don't believe them. They are 100% full of crap and have zero production plans for any pure battery electric anything. At best they might have a plug-in hybrid, think a rebadged Q7/Porsche Cayenne/Tourag PHEV. They can claim 300+ miles, but that is only with a tail pipe. Anything else is journalistic misunderstanding of the actual facts of the situation.

Agree with TurboFroggy's sentiment. The VW XL1 got undeserved attention from the media folks who don't know any better. The plugin Panamera is a damp squib. Audi will surely put out a cynical "plugin" Q7 or the like.

VW is way behind in the game; they are too busy inhaling all their diesel fumes.

hmmmm....
"Earlier this year British magazine Autocar revealed that Audi has already given the green light to a pure electric SUV intended to challenge the upcoming 2015 Tesla Model X SUV. The Audi Q8 e-tron (pictured), as it is currently known, will have an electric range of 370 miles from an 80kWh battery and performance to match. A launch date in 2017 is expected."
Someone want to explain that to me.... considering this car would be larger and thus have more drag than model S, I doubt this is possible.

The explanation is that the article is mostly speculation and they are just making stuff up to get your attention.

hmmmm....
"Earlier this year British magazine Autocar revealed that Audi has already given the green light to a pure electric SUV intended to challenge the upcoming 2015 Tesla Model X SUV. The Audi Q8 e-tron (pictured), as it is currently known, will have an electric range of 370 miles from an 80kWh battery and performance to match. A launch date in 2017 is expected."
Someone want to explain that to me.... considering this car would be larger and thus have more drag than model S, I doubt this is possible.

View attachment 56554

Once again, Audi showing their leadership in bu!!$h1t based EV press releases. The only actual car they have managed to build is the e-Golf, which looks like a reasonable alternative to the Leaf. years behind of course.

First Drive: Volkswagen to enter U.S. electric market with e-Golf - LA Times

They have been claiming this e-tron series for a while, I would love to see them actually make good on their promises. And with even remotely the kind of range they are suggesting would give good angle that Tesla is not alone in their thinking. Besides even Elon owns an Audi (or at least did at the time of the Model X reveal).

About manufacturers breaking down the Model S and testing it out and such, now that Tesla has opened up their patents, they could pretty much copy the designs and be ok with that... so maybe Audi/VW will be the first to make use of such an arrangement.

Interesting story. Thank you for sharing.

What if they were purposefully testing all the super-charger slots? Including the old one?

As someone who has spent most of my automotive life following the German premium segment (as a customer), I'm 100% convinced Audi, just like BMW and we know Mercedes, are working on BEVs. Of course we know Audi had the R8 e-tron ready to go, but got scared of the cost. So an Audi BEV is a fact, albeit currently a cancelled-right-before-production fact. They will of course talk their hybrids up and dismiss the BEV for now in their PR, because that is what they sell today, but I have no doubt they are preparing to enter the market at a point they deem both possible and suitable. Clearly they are behind Tesla in the practical implementation, but also they have a lot of vested interest in their ICE research and the likes of g-tron and thus have other reasons to delay, so their reasons for not yet entering the market are probably numerous - I'm sure they could if they absolutely wanted to at any cost (e.g. Audi R8 e-tron, I'm sure, could be shipped within weeks), but they are trying to find a balance. This is of course a conservative and a dangerous approach - it didn't work that well for traditional mobile phone manufacturers when they stalled after the iPhone went from zero to hero in no time.

Hopefully for the likes of Audi, they won't be balancing on that beam for too long, because Tesla might just get a head start and carve a sizeable market for itself the traditional players can't recover. Come to think of it, for all of us who think the car market is down to two cars today (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/34989-Car-market-literally-down-to-2-cars-today), more choice would be better, so let's hope the Germans and others quickly follow Tesla's suit.

Me? Sorry German car friends, but you've let me down. I'll get my kickdown kicks from the Silicon Valley from now on. And really, it is pretty sad to see what BMW, Audi and MB call electric cars, when the comparison is Tesla Model S. It really diminishes the forward-thinking, technologically progressive brand image I had of the Germans. They seem so old world now in every way. It seems hard to even imagine returning to those after they do catch up, from a brand emotion perspective, right now. I'm fairly certain Tesla will reap a lot of enthusiast benefit from its progressive thinking still over the next couple of years, while others fidget.