Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met a test team from Audi at the Gilroy Supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, maybe 5 engineers flew over from Germany on a secret mission to film Tesla's supercharger, all the while Audi has said they're not interested in EV right now. Call me crazy, but it makes absolutely no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

You tell me, using EPA data is completely inaccurate since the agency is full of fraudsters. http://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenmeyer/2010/11/24/the-epas-electric-vehicle-mileage-fraud/2/

Same is true for hybrids, all EPA data is filled with fraud.

As far as direct injection turbos, yes they have good MPG as far as ICE go, a V4 TDI has much better MPG than a similar V6.

It makes perfect sense. Audi is researching the technology before even saying they are going into the EV market seriously. It seems like all the major car companies are at this stage right now and will most likely be sitting on their hands in three years when the Model 3 is released.

Maybe I was making it all up?

I believe your story 100%. But I don't think these people were honest, people from Audi have no reason to lie or pretend like they're something they're not. Some people like to play coy to be more interesting than they are.

- - - Updated - - -

What are the odds Audi might have some engineers in North America? Maybe 100%?

5 of them being German? nah, prolly toursist, film crew, or what have you

@RichardL I also noticed the silver P85 as well as the A4 and A7 parked across from it today at Gilroy as I was walking back with my wife to grab our pearl white 85 and take off. One of the Audi's had some equipment attached to the bumper if I remember correctly. I thought it might be a car club or something out for a drive. Great story, thanks for sharing!

@RichardL I also noticed the silver P85 as well as the A4 and A7 parked across from it today at Gilroy as I was walking back with my wife to grab our pearl white 85 and take off. One of the Audi's had some equipment attached to the bumper if I remember correctly. I thought it might be a car club or something out for a drive. Great story, thanks for sharing!
My only surprise is that BMW beat them by over 18 months. BMW had a signature car at Delaware supercharger testing charge rates and how the charge rate was stepped down as battery charged. The tech there also claimed they had taken the car apart as we'll

I believe your story 100%. But I don't think these people were honest, people from Audi have no reason to lie or pretend like they're something they're not. Some people like to play coy to be more interesting than they are.

- - - Updated - - -

No reason except protecting sensitive/confidential information about their R&D at Audi? Also try googling the Audi e-tron.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a 100 percent chance that VAG owns a Tesla Model S that they are taking apart and examining. One. Hundred. Percent.

The same is true of all the other major car manufacturers. Someone posted a story about running into some Ford engineers in a Tesla at a supercharger a while back. Major car companies buy competitor's products to tear down and reverse engineer all the time. Growing up in Detroit, I lost track of the number of M-plated cars I saw from one company being driven on or near the test facilities of other companies (in fact, I remember seeing an M-plated A6 at Ford World Headquarters).

Was this particular team actually from Audi? It's possible that they weren't, though the fact that they were driving Audis (which aren't your typical rental fleet fare in the US) seems like a bit of a tip-off. But whether or not they were, I have no doubt that Volkswagen/Audi has bought and torn down a Model S, regardless of their (publicly announced) plans for full BEVs.

Spotted earlier this morning at the charging stations at my workplace!

5eba8ysa.jpg

using EPA data is completely inaccurate since the agency is full of fraudsters. http://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenmeyer/2010/11/24/the-epas-electric-vehicle-mileage-fraud/2/

Wow. First time I had heard of that. Thanks for the link.

I disagree with that article. It appears to be basically the same argument as this article on a "climate skeptic" blog Nissan Leaf EPA Rating Hugely Flawed | Coyote Blog so I think their bias is showing. They will do anything they can to discredit climate science and the idea the EVs produce fewer greenhouse gases than ICE vehicles.

EPA MPG ratings calculate how far an ICE car can travel on a gallon of gas based on a specific driving test cycle. It does not factor in the costs and inefficiencies involved in producing the oil that produces the gasoline and getting it into the fuel tank of the car. Of course efficiency losses within the car effect the MPG result.

EPA MPGe ratings calculate how far a car can travel and assume that 33.7kWh of electricity is equivalent to the amount of BTU energy in a gallon of typical gasoline, which I think is a reasonable assumption. Energy efficiency losses in the EV also effect the MPGe rating result but of course an EV drivetrain uses energy far more efficiently than an ICE drivetrain: that is well established. The costs and inefficiencies involved in creating those kWh of electricity are of course not factored in, nor should they be when trying to calculate MPG and MPGe. "Well to wheel" numbers would be a completely different set of calculations for both vehicles.

You tell me, using EPA data is completely inaccurate since the agency is full of fraudsters. http://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenmeyer/2010/11/24/the-epas-electric-vehicle-mileage-fraud/2/

"Fraud" is deceit or trickery to gain unfair, dishonest or illegal advantage/profit; the word was being used in a click-bait title for an article written by a self-proclaimed "climate skeptic" and ex big-oil employee.....Even if he has a point it's made irrelevant by silly use of the F word.

Listening comprehension failure on their part.

Sure, I can get a full charge on 110V but not before dying of boredom. Rate matters. Car people should know that. Especially high performance car brand people.

Unless he was factoring in his time schedule in to the reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Audi engineers have no issues telling they're from Audi. They also have the largest test track in the world from VW. Whoever they were, they weren't from Audi, they don't go on secret james bond missions.

Having just read the last few days worth of posts on the Fuel Cell thread, you seem to like to speak authoritatively on things you aren't an authority on, and indeed for which there is strong evidence opposing your assertions.

Interesting that the Model S had Michigan plates. Did you notice--did they have an M in the middle (ie, manufacturer plates)?

VW/Audi used to be HQ'd in Michigan but now they are out in Reston, VA.

I know that Audi still uses MI plates on their press cars, so they probably still keep their test/development/press fleets registered under MI manufacture plates...

"Fraud" is deceit or trickery to gain unfair, dishonest or illegal advantage/profit; the word was being used in a click-bait title for an article written by a self-proclaimed "climate skeptic" and ex big-oil employee.....Even if he has a point it's made irrelevant by silly use of the F word.
Yep. Nothing in that article suggests that the EPA is "full of fraudsters". Nothing.

He is criticizing the methodology. Forbes or the author put "fraud" in the title for click-bait. Aury either didn't read the article or is wearing a tin-foil hat. :rolleyes:

Really? Because Tesla seems to have proven spectacularly that a full EV can be incredibly successful in this price segment. I suspect this is more your opinion than fact, as I can't believe Audi would be so stupid.

How so? Are there plans in the next two years for an A8 Etron? If not, they are not taking EVs seriously yet. They will at some point.

I used to work for BMW many years ago. I was involved in the very early process before the production of a car started. They did many many different tests, in different countries and for various purposes. They sent teams to other countries and drive all kinds of cars to get a feel and understanding of their culture in relation to driving and cars in general.

I can see Audi trying to get a feel for what the real world life/experience is with a Model S in the US market. They can get one in Germany and do technical test all day long (and they probably do). But those tests don't tell you anything about how actual buyers are using their cars and how the overall daily experience is here. Every market/world region is different and as a car manufacturer you have to understand it.

How so? Are there plans in the next two years for an A8 Etron? If not, they are not taking EVs seriously yet. They will at some point.

I have no way to evaluate how much truth there is in these articles (as opposed to their truthiness :tongue:...), but what about these?

http://ecomento.com/2014/03/11/audi...arge-plug-hybrid-vehicles-e-tron-brand-grows/
and
http://ecomento.com/2014/03/11/audi...e-range-electric-supercar-will-built-request/

Interestingly, "[the] Audi R8 e-tron will also be built only ‘upon customer request’". Hmmm... what an idea - build and sell cars after customers specify what they want. Wonder why nobody else does that? ohhh yeahhhh...

hmmmm....
"Earlier this year British magazine Autocar revealed that Audi has already given the green light to a pure electric SUV intended to challenge the upcoming 2015 Tesla Model X SUV. The Audi Q8 e-tron (pictured), as it is currently known, will have an electric range of 370 miles from an 80kWh battery and performance to match. A launch date in 2017 is expected."
Someone want to explain that to me.... considering this car would be larger and thus have more drag than model S, I doubt this is possible.

audi-plug-in-hybrid-e-tron-740x425.jpg