Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mary Barra, what is going through your mind right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's add some reality to your fiction - gas goes bad. A couple months after you buy it the gas will start to turn into gum and varnish, which will cause major problems by clogging the fuel lines and filters. Yes there are fuel stabilizers you can put into the gas to extend the shelf live up to 15 months, I add it to the two 5 gallon tanks I fill up at the start of hurricane season, however the gas stations would not have put that in before the outbreak. According to The Walking Dead timeline when Rick wakes up at the start of the series its already been 2 months since the outbreak, so their vehicles would soon start failing due to bad gas.

Modern engines are tolerant of bad gas, so it can take quite a while. It seems that Hyundais aren't particularly tolerant. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Modern engines are tolerant of bad gas, so it can take quite a while. It seems that Hyundais aren't particularly tolerant. ;)

I'm sure they're tolerant of the occasional bad batch of gas, that article does mention:
The good news is, once the old gas has been consumed and the tank is topped off with fresh fuel, the problem should cure itself.

Problem is fresh fuel is no longer being produced, so the problem can't cure itself. Eventually the gas will degrade to the point that it's no longer usable by any vehicle, no matter how tolerant they may be.

Mandatory vapor recovery systems, plastic fuel tanks, and improved additives have dramatically increased the usable shelf life of gasoline.

It is not unusual for a 5 year old tank of fuel to work perfectly in a car today. But don't try that in a open vapor system or metal tank.

• Informative
Nissan senior hierarchy drove and lived LEAF, their families too. Generation LEAF 2 has 550km NEDC, 600 km JC08 range. (remember this is a Japan/Euro company, not a USA company). by comparison the Japan Tesla S70D is 442km NEDC, Tesla P90D is ~505km NEDC, Tesla P90 is 550km NEDC

???!!!! I've not seen anything about THIS in the news. That would be quite something.

• Informative
There is not a EV grid in North America. With 2 proprietary and one SAE standard, there probably never will be. It opens the gate to each MFR to do a proprietary charge format.

Assuming it stays at 3 formats for charging, it will be 50 years at the current level of expansion to match the ICE infrastructure. And guess what? EV's need more density for the same volume of cars. Many EVs are less than 100 miles, and charge rates will never match liquid fuel miles per minute rates.

So for the indefinite future, the EV grid will be busted. The MFRs chose it to be broken, so it is. At least GM went SAE which was a spec Tesla participated in.

There are 4 million miles of roads in the US alone. And 125,000 fueling locations. Or 1 per 32 miles. DCFC? About 1 per 4000 miles?

I could be wrong, but I suspect that most of the more than 69 Million single family homes in the US have a 220 volt circuit that will completely charge a Tesla overnight. What's that, about 17 places to charge per mile.

Like most folks I'll need to charge away from home maybe 10 trips a year. Doubling the number of Superchargers and quadrupling the number of Destination Chargers in the next two years will work quite nicely for me. I'd guess it will work for many other people as well.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that most of the more than 69 Million single family homes in the US have a 220 volt circuit that will completely charge a Tesla overnight. What's that, about 17 places to charge per mile.
A NEMA 14-50 (I hope I have the terminology right) is 9.6 kW on a 240V, 50A circuit so ~ 35 mph charging for an M3. Close to two cars charged from empty to full overnight in the summer ;)

Last edited: