Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Going Through Major Cities - Trunk or Frunk for Security?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preface: I'm well aware that the best solution is to not leave any valuables in my car. At most locations, I will keep my belongings in my friend's houses that I'm staying at/hotels I'm staying at but there will be instances where I have no choice but to leave my luggage in the car while in an attraction/museum's parking garage/street parking scenario.

I'm embarking on a road trip next week that will see me cover some major cities (DC, Philadelphia, NYC) along the East Coast. Unfortunately, the rate of car break-ins has been increasing in recent years in the cities and I want to do my due diligence on the safekeeping of valuables. I've read through some similar posts made by other users here inquiring about frunk vs trunk for storing luggage and I think I'm more unclear than I was before.

From my understanding, my car (2024 Model Y) cannot have its frunk opened unless the 12V is dead so the idea of someone "jumping the frunk" isn't realistic anymore. Would that make the frunk the best spot to keep my luggage? I'm also aware that there's a sub-trunk that is concealed from the regular view of the trunk, but this is more accessible in the sense that anyone who potentially breaks in can simply just lift up the cover and grab what they need to.

My other concern is that the weather is warming up and I know that the inside of a Tesla can be climate controlled to prevent overheating which is crucial as I don't want my electronics to fry up while sitting in a car but would this extend to the frunk as well? I doubt that is climate controlled the same way the trunk can be, if my understanding is correct?

Please let me know what the general consensus is for the newer models of Teslas, particularly 2024, outside of the obvious "don't leave your valuables In the car" suggestions.

The front trunk is more secure but limited in space. I've never read a report of someone breaking into the front trunk. The most common way to break into the Tesla vehicle is to break the opera window panel or the rear door glass. The thief then flips down the second row seat looking for items to steal. Assume the worst, that someone will try the doors and break in if they see anything of interest. Park in a private parking garage even if it is costly.

If possible, check your luggage with the hotel etc. even before you check into your room. Some museums may have a coat room where you can check your bag(s) while touring the museum.

You don't want to be spotted by lookouts placing items in either the front trunk or the rear storage area. Never leave important documents or cash, checks, credit cards in your luggage.

Reactions: fredzos
jcanoe, good advice. If you have to move things around into the rear bin, do this before stopping and parking so people do not see what is being stored in the car. Make sure nothing is left in the rear seats, floor and in the open trunk space. this is good practice for parking in any large city

I go with the under trunk to the extent possible. The frunk is inconvenient since it's manual and I too out the rear cargo cover. So, for me, the only way to conceal stuff is the under trunk.
Not a bad idea, I think most of my luggage can fit in either the subtrunk. Are there any accessories like a manual lock/latch that we can add to the trunk cover?

The front trunk is more secure but limited in space. I've never read a report of someone breaking into the front trunk. The most common way to break into the Tesla vehicle is to break the opera window panel or the rear door glass. The thief then flips down the second row seat looking for items to steal. Assume the worst, that someone will try the doors and break in if they see anything of interest. Park in a private parking garage even if it is costly.

If possible, check your luggage with the hotel etc. even before you check into your room. Some museums may have a coat room where you can check your bag(s) while touring the museum.

You don't want to be spotted by lookouts placing items in either the front trunk or the rear storage area. Never leave important documents or cash, checks, credit cards in your luggage.
Not a bad idea re: coat rooms at museums! I imagine most parking garages at museums/public attractions should be fairly safe/have a police presence so I'm not too worried but you really never know these days! 100% agree on minimizing interactions with the frunk/trunk once you're at the location, very vital to appear as if though you have nothing in the car. Thanks for the advice, crazy world we live in where crimes like this can run so rampant.
jcanoe, good advice. If you have to move things around into the rear bin, do this before stopping and parking so people do not see what is being stored in the car. Make sure nothing is left in the rear seats, floor and in the open trunk space. this is good practice for parking in any large city
My car is usually 100% empty other than the random water bottle and a box of napkins so I think I do a good job of maintaining a low profile appearance. Hopefully with the warmer weather and stepped up police presence in the cities, crimes like this are deterred. Tesla should strongly consider adding an alarm sound feature when it notices forceful entry, not that it stops all criminals but that would be a great deterrent as well.

no matter where i am, if i have things that might be of value, it'll be in the frunk or sub trunk.

i feel like frunk might be safer but it all depends on size of course.

for the most part, i try not to keep anything in the car at all times