Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mary Barra, what is going through your mind right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I start a campaign to use mRph or Rmph for the concept of adding eletricity to a car battery to enable it to drive more miles. Let's not actively try to increase confusion of people new to elecrtric cars (presumably some of the 400,000 reservation).
Knock it down to 3 letters and I am game.

And here I thought I added clarity by writing charging after the mph. This discussion came up with my wife recently. I loudly refused to translate range into gallons of petrol equivalent after she balked at kWh, but to my relief she understood miles per hour charging.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You prefer "mph charging" to "mRph"?

"35 mph charging" sounds like charging while driving, if I put my never heard of it hat on.

I am open to anything clear and obvious.

Thank you kindly.

ETA: Would mARph (Miles added range per hour) be better? It is at least pronounceable.

Last edited:
ok, it is not 3 letters but how about emph for 'electric miles per hour.'

[rant]
It is amazing how much effort we spend to make the units understandable to a 3rd grader.
In the world of ICE we say 'gallons' and leave it up to the poor sap to multiply by however many milles per gallon their car might get for a total range.

I noticed on the Tesla website for a while they were writing kWh per hour. At first I thought it was a joke, until I realized they were trying to keep the units familiar as energy per time. The idea seemed sound if clumsy, so I advocate the use of MJ, and let the owner learn how many miles per MJ their car will likely travel. Yes, people will have to learn a new word but the customary way to calculate range will stay the same[/rant]

Last edited:
A NEMA 14-50 (I hope I have the terminology right) is 9.6 kW on a 240V, 50A circuit so ~ 35 mph charging for an M3. Close to two cars charged from empty to full overnight in the summer ;)

The UMC with a NEMA 14-50 will charge the Model S at 28 mph and X at 25 mph, therefore the Model 3 should be close to 31 mph.

upload_2016-4-21_18-53-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
By a long shot because I would have to stop and think which letter to capitalize, and mrph either reads as 'murf' or Mr. Fi :)

The capital was for emphasis. I don't expect it would remain for long.

How about mpm (miles per minute)? It would add psychological pressure to update our residential grid to 480V

Yeah, good luck with that...

Thank you kindly.

Since you mention it ...

The *other* car we'll likely keep is a Prius (v)agon. Remarkable what that car has transported from the home improvement store.
If Toyota could create an EV version of that with good range, I would cancel my M3 reservation in a heart beat to get it. It looks like it is very utilitarian and while the fuel economy penalty is significant over the regular Prius, it is still reasonable.

If Toyota could create an EV version of that with good range, I would cancel my M3 reservation in a heart beat to get it. It looks like it is very utilitarian and while the fuel economy penalty is significant over the regular Prius, it is still reasonable.

Just Say No to slow ass cars. Prius Must Die. :D

Green doesn't have to mean "green with envy", or "I'm green when it comes to performance".

Tesla has proved this. No more 10 second 0-60mph "green" cars are needed. We have too many of them already, and they still are not 1% of sales. People do not want to give up driving pleasure for "green" because they now know it's not necessary.

If you like "wagons" like the V then you are probably a better candidate for the Model Y than Model 3. I find a traditional hatchback acceptable, but a wagon or CUV-like car goes a bit far for my tastes (mainly fuel economy loss).

An M3 will be the only car I have ever owned that is not a hatchback. That is how much I want a Tesla EV.

Well, we started with a Civic sedan (because they didn't sell the hatchback in the USA) but I'm of a similar mindset. It's not that I particularly want a Tesla, it's that I want a _long-distance_ BEV, a long-range BEV that's designed with travel beyond range in mind.

Reactions: Red Sage and Topher