Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many owners with UMC problems in Norway , specially during cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a milder part of Norway, so I haven't had any really cold days. I have had to reinsert the UMC twice in two months, that's all.

Norway not only has an unusual power net configuration, we have three of them! Newer installations are 400V 3-phase TN net, older ones are 230v IT net, and in addition there are a few places with 230V TT net. TN means "Terra Neutral", IT is "Isolated Terra", TT is "Terra Terra". Since my garage has TT net, it is one of the few places where Ground is actually connected to ground. Besides, the transformer is 10m from my intake so I usually see 250V..

Newbie, I notice you're not posting anywhere else, so I assume you are not a Model S owner. What is your interest in Tesla? Is this just to make sure people know? Or do you have a competing interest?

Sorry to ask, it is just odd this focus you have on this issue. I am trying to understand.

Newbie, I notice you're not posting anywhere else, so I assume you are not a Model S owner. What is your interest in Tesla? Is this just to make sure people know? Or do you have a competing interest?

Sorry to ask, it is just odd this focus you have on this issue. I am trying to understand.

Please keep to subject ! This is off topic ! Follow forum rules !

Last edited:
That is a non-answer. As a moderator, it is a legitimate question.

I have only in mind to speed up the solving of the concerns that a lot of tesla owners have in Norway and what the national tesla company have failed to solve for a far to long time, instead they try to sweep this under the carpet . I expect that they deliver a car to me that Is fully operational whatever weather condition and that I don't have to spend a lot of my free time traveling to the tesla service for fixing the car... I don't have time and I don't want to be a test pilot , I want a functional car..
I also have a car on order , but I can't see why this is anyone's concern.

as as for the not posting elsewhere ... I posted this :

Anyone painted the lower sides and front/back ? Looks good !!

I try to keep an open eye, because you own the car you don't have to shout hallelujah.. There are still things to be fixed on the car..

now back to topic, moderator or not ...

Last edited:
Reading through the article it seems to be limited to a few cars that have the issue an Tesla is on top of it working with engineers on-site. What more could you ask? While I don't know about UMC I'm charging below 0 constantly at home using my wallbox and all is fine here in Estonia ;)

Well, it`s not limited to a few cars. It seems to be most, if not all cars! It`s just some who have been lucky enough to not experience problems just yet, but people reporting "no problems" in previous discussions now come back with "****, I have problems too...."

In other words, all UMCs must be swapped, and fast.... This will be a publicity nightmare in Teslas second largest market. Too bad they didn`t take the problems seriously before it blew up in their faces :(

(This coming from a long time Tesla fan driving Model S and with an Model X reservation...)

Well, it`s not limited to a few cars. It seems to be most, if not all cars! It`s just some who have been lucky enough to not experience problems just yet, but people reporting "no problems" in previous discussions now come back with "****, I have problems too...."

In other words, all UMCs must be swapped, and fast.... This will be a publicity nightmare in Teslas second largest market. Too bad they didn`t take the problems seriously before it blew up in their faces :(

(This coming from a long time Tesla fan driving Model S and with an Model X reservation...)

+1.

Well it's been -13..-20C here in Estonia, but ai don't use the UMC at all. I have a charge box and that charges my s every time. Also no issues with freezing windows or what not, but I do pre-heat always. Do hate the ghost seeing parking sensors though when covered with snow, but it usually does take some amount of snow/dirt, not just a touch of it and from various BMW etc owners they claim that is pretty much how those react too.

i do have fogging on sidewindows as the door triangles seem to leaks air sometimes, but that is promised to be looked at by the ranger coming next week. Also discovered I can unfog / defrost them nicely if I finetune the AC a bit.

the driving experience is fantastic though. Even in snow and very cold weather...

I have only in mind to speed up the solving of the concerns that a lot of tesla owners have in Norway and what the national tesla company have failed to solve for a far to long time, instead they try to sweep this under the carpet . I expect that they deliver a car to me that Is fully operational whatever weather condition and that I don't have to spend a lot of my free time traveling to the tesla service for fixing the car... I don't have time and I don't want to be a test pilot , I want a functional car..
I also have a car on order , but I can't see why this is anyone's concern.

as as for the not posting elsewhere ... I posted this :

Anyone painted the lower sides and front/back ? Looks good !!

I try to keep an open eye, because you own the car you don't have to shout hallelujah.. There are still things to be fixed on the car..

now back to topic, moderator or not ...

Why you think anyone is trying to sweep things under the carpet is a mystery. Your posts are here, nothing is covered up. Plenty of people don't shout hallelujah, but they don't go on repeatedly about the same issue when they don't have a car, either. The issue I'm trying to understand is why you feel it necessary to post multiple times on this one topic and pursue it the way you are.

As far as post like mine, inquiring to motivation, being off-topic. That's a subjective opinion and one I disagree with. While I feel no need to explain myself, maybe it will help you in your thinking if you understand: We have plenty of people coming on this forum trying to disrupt and create problems where there are none. It is not off-topic to try to determine the motivation when we see a focused effort like yours. Your multiple merged posts may have started this thread, but that does not mean you are the one to decide what is and is not on-topic.

After reading that forum, it seems like these issues stem from the latest limiting software(5.8.4), where it backs off current/stops charging/throws a fault, if any voltage fluctuations are detected.
Tesla needs to issue a RECALL for the defective 5.8.4 software! :wink:

The 5.8.4 software update was one of the most boneheaded moves Tesla's made.

- - - Updated - - -

The cold is defintively a factor, but not the only reason.

This guy has had three broken UMC:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeslaOwnersClubNorway/permalink/581953128553791/?stream_ref=2

I`m on my fourth (three broken).

Here in the US, I'm on my third, but the first two simply flaked out (one wouldn't open the chargeport door, the other refused to "seat" properly).

The UMC engineering was apparently substandard.

That's what I was thinking. Can someone in Norway look into if the recent 5.8.4 update, making charging more sensitive to current fluctuations, is wreaking havoc on charging in cold weather? Should be easy to see if anyone in Norway who hasn't updated also is having problems charging.

Tesla needs to issue a RECALL for the defective 5.8.4 software! :wink:

The 5.8.4 software update was one of the most boneheaded moves Tesla's made.

I believe v5.8.4 only backs off the charge current by 25%.

The v5.8.4 does not (only) limit the charge current by 25% when fluctuations occur. It does so when the voltage is low as well.
So, as in some parts of Belgium (and the Netherlands), the grid is <220V, some people just lost 25% charging capacity for nothing.

As I see it, for every update we loose performance : no more low suspension, charging linit to 26A rather then 32A (3phase charging), charging limit by 25%.

Com'on Tesla, revoke ! Stop going backwards and move ahead !

Last edited:
I suppose I can share my experience. I've had my S60 for about 5 months. I charge in a heated communal garage which is always above freezing though now in snow season is pretty wet due to all the snow being dragged in and then melting. During this time period I've had a few times the UMC go red and throw a fault, but that is literally a few times in 5 months.
On the other hand I have to make sure the car counts up the Amps when starting charging since about 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 it just stays at "Charging will start momentarily". That is fixed by unplugging the UMC closing the charge door, open it up again and plugging it in. A few times I have to do that more than once and/or unplug the wall socket as well. This is in a garage from 2013 with a brand new 400V TN net. Stopping and starting the charging from the screen only works sometimes.

So it is pretty obvious the current UMC does not work 100% as intended in Norway. I've got the best possible set of conditions you can have in Norway I dare say and even for me it's slightly inconvenient. Those charging in garages with no or little insulation have much bigger problems.

Having said that the ESP is fantastic in winter, and driving is generally good, but I do have problems with windows freezing, windshield wipers collecting ice for some reason, and parking sensors which are pretty much useless. I've already had the parking sensors adjusted in the SC, and still they yell 8 meters away from the wall STOP! If they have been out in the cold but no snow they usually start yelling as I enter the 110 car garage. With snow I normally get a Parking sensors disable contact SC error message.

Cobos