Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD off menu again. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is no longer available to order along with SR.

This is the second time it happens. I don’t see it as more difficult to make.

I think the profit margin is low and there is a hugh shortage of such battery so they would use it for AWD and performance

I don’t think it will offer this trim again

There's an explanation in last night's press release by Tesla. (There are other threads on this.)

An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

If you call or visit a store you may still be able to order an SR or LR RWD.

I have already read the article but I still maintain it’s due to profit margin. The only difference is the addition of a front motor. Panasonic cannot meet Tesla demand as suggested by media.

I own LR RWD

It's also supplier optimization. No need to offer the lowest trip while buying more of the SR+ parts drives down cost while delivering a better product that has a slightly higher margin. Cost + efficiency + higher profits could equal to 5% profit per car vs making 2% per car.

I also like how Tesla made Autopilot standard across the entire fleet, but of course increased the price of all the vehicles to compensate...So here we go again. People who just ordered AP for $4k are out roughly a grand...just slid that one in there eh Tesla? :rolleyes:

Aw well...lol

Because margins.
I understand it's because of margins. It would just be nice if Tesla could simmer down on the constant pricing changes. They are better off doing promotions like a traditional auto manufacture and promote monthly offers. (ie. For April 2019, AP is included in all vehicle purchases....May 2019, free supercharging for all Performance 3 or X's).

it's not that hard to be consistent with pricing, and staying within or meeting their margins would be more predicable.

I also like how Tesla made Autopilot standard across the entire fleet, but of course increased the price of all the vehicles to compensate...So here we go again. People who just ordered AP for $4k are out roughly a grand...just slid that one in there eh Tesla? :rolleyes:

Aw well...lol

Did many people actually do this? Buy AP after they'd bought the car and therefore pay the extra surcharge?

Just a theory: but I bet if you looked at the standard deviation of price people paid for Tesla's over the last few months of "crazy price fluctuations" that everyone is up in arms about....and then compared that to the price fluctuations of normal ICE cars where you can negotiate and things like meeting quota at end of month/end of quarter can drive some crazy deals, I think the ICE example would have far greater price fluctuations that Tesla's "games"...it just hurts because we can easily see what everyone pays. My same car config today is over 5K cheaper than when I picked it up at end of september. Its the cost of doing business.

Did many people actually do this? Buy AP after they'd bought the car and therefore pay the extra surcharge?
Based on how the previous pricing change happend, i wouldn't be surprised. There were people on other sites (Electrek and Teslarati) stating they bought their cars without AP after the price increased from $2600. So I assume if they took delivery or are about to, this would be interesting news to digest.

It's people (like myself) that ordered AP when they ordered the car that are out about $1000. I.e. It would have been $800 cheaper if I ordered my configuration today rather than March 1st, since I paid $4000 for autopilot at the time I ordered. If I ordered today the car would be $3200 more expensive but that includes autopilot so the net difference is it's $800 cheaper today.

It's people (like myself) that ordered AP when they ordered the car that are out about $1000. I.e. It would have been $800 cheaper if I ordered my configuration today rather than March 1st, since I paid $4000 for autopilot at the time I ordered. If I ordered today the car would be $3200 more expensive but that includes autopilot so the net difference is it's $800 cheaper today.

$4k at time of sale? I don't think that's ever been the case. EAP was $5k for a long time, and then AP is $3k, like it was before AP2 came out.

Right before the change it was $3k at delivery, then it became included and they added $2500 to the price...

$4k at time of sale? I don't think that's ever been the case. EAP was $5k for a long time, and then AP is $3k, like it was before AP2 came out.

Right before the change it was $3k at delivery, then it became included and they added $2500 to the price...
I ordered a LR RWD M3 March 19th. My car delivery is now impending. I've already paid for the car but there is still an "upgrade to autopilot" button enable. Just for fun, I pressed it to see what the cost might be. If I upgraded to Autopilot before delivery it would be $CDN 4,000, $CDN 5,300 if after.