Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you noticed a loss of MAX regen after the last two vehicle software updates? (Original LR RWD 310 mile owners)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original 2019 Long Range RWD Model 3 (310 miles). I've noticed a significant reduction in the maximum regen along with a corresponding reduction in how quickly the vehicle begins to slow down during one pedal driving, all due to the software updates earlier this year (the last 2-3 months). In particular, the max regen that is created when you completly remove your foot from the accelator. This is very noticable at higher speeds (50, 60, 70 MPH). Not only do I get much less regen, I end up having to press the brake pedal to not overshoot turns or run past crosswalks and into the intersection.

It also feels like there is no longer an "instant" deceleration. It feels like there are several seconds of idle cruising before the car begins to slow down. The 'deceleration' ramp also feels less aggressive. It feels like it takes 2-3 seconds before the car is decelerating at the previous "instant' deceleration rate - and the MAX deceleration rate, and corresponding regen feels 20% less aggressive (ballpark guesstimate). Any other original LR RWD owners notice this reduced regen after software updates? Wondering if this is a RWD vs AWD phenomenon.

Last edited:
Note that regen feel is affected by:
  • Battery state-of-charge: at higher SoC (>90%), regen is limited because the battery pack cannot be charged
  • Temperature: colder ambient temperatures will also cause regen to be limited
  • Double-check Standard vs. Low regen setting: If it's set to Low, change it to Standard. You can also try to do a manual re-boot as sometimes software updates don't always initialize properly.
Note: I'm currently on 2022.12.3.2 so I can't comment on any of the recent software updates.

Last edited:
Should have added the following:
  • Has nothing to do with state of charge. Vehicle is never charged above 80%
  • Nothing to do with colder temperatures. We're talking about May, June, July, and August in metro Phoenix. If anything we're talking about over 110 ambient air temperature (and 130+ degree road temp)
  • Nothing to do with regen settings or in car settings of any kind - they've never changed
  • No - I don't have chill mode enabled
Just seeing if anyone else has noticed a need to alter your normal driving habits and begin slowing down earlier? Or have you noticed that overall vehicle deceleration as well as the amount of energy sent back to the battery on the real time consumption graph has been reduced compared to Q1? Maybe it's reduced when air temps are over 110 degrees?

Yes, but I dont have a RWD model 3, I have a 5 year old model 3 Performance (2018), and it has not been "since the last two software updates" but for at least a year and half now. I seem to remember lots of people talking about less regen feeling, for at least a few years now:

In my own car, I have regen dots longer, and have to start slowing down sooner, and this feeling is magnified when I drive my car and my wifes 2022 model Y performance back to back with my own model 3 Performance.

I just chalked it up to Tesla changing regen settings since regen basically generates power back into the battery like supercharging, so they have messed with the amount of power the car can put back into the battery for slightly older cars. Thats what it feels like to me, anyway, over several years of driving this car.

Nothing we can do about it, there is no setting for it, nothing to change about it, so I just adjust and keep driving.

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
Original 2019 Long Range RWD Model 3 (310 miles). I've noticed a significant reduction in the maximum regen along with a corresponding reduction in how quickly the vehicle begins to slow down during one pedal driving, all due to the software updates earlier this year (the last 2-3 months). In particular, the max regen that is created when you completly remove your foot from the accelator. This is very noticable at higher speeds (50, 60, 70 MPH). Not only do I get much less regen, I end up having to press the brake pedal to not overshoot turns or run past crosswalks and into the intersection.

It also feels like there is no longer an "instant" deceleration. It feels like there are several seconds of idle cruising before the car begins to slow down. The 'deceleration' ramp also feels less aggressive. It feels like it takes 2-3 seconds before the car is decelerating at the previous "instant' deceleration rate - and the MAX deceleration rate, and corresponding regen feels 20% less aggressive (ballpark guesstimate). Any other original LR RWD owners notice this reduced regen after software updates? Wondering if this is a RWD vs AWD phenomenon.
Yes!

My 2022 MY and my 2020 M3 feel like the regen is in the dumpster. This is the opinion of not just myself, but of 3 others that have driven both cars. I would love some clarification directly from Tesla as to why this is, and not just forum speculation (as great as that is).

@jjrandorin, I just had some service done on my car. While I was there I requested that they check everything in case a part somewhere limits regen. Was told that there is no problem and regen is normal. That means there was a software reduction at some point unfortunately.

Figured as much, but thanks for confirming what they told you. Appreciate it 👍