Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate Slamming Shut with Firmware V6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ken830

Model S 85, Model 3 Performance, Model X LongRange
Jun 19, 2012
San Carlos, CA
I (and several others) have mentioned and discussed this a little bit in the Firmware 6.0 thread, but I thought I would start a new thread to bring more attention and hopefully finally get Tesla to fix this.

After the V6.0 firmware update, I noticed that my trunk will occasionally slam during closing. This is a car with the powered liftgate. A normal trunk close will close the liftgate nearly all the way and then the latch will pull it in the final bit. A "slamming" trunk close will close the liftgate like normal, but at the very end, just slam shut and you won't hear the latch pulling it in because it's already in the fully latched position.

I couldn't convince any of the service centers that it's a problem because I couldn't reproduce it for them. It's pretty frustrating because my liftgate slams shut with enough force to wake my sleeping daughter with a loud thud while in my garage.

I spent many months diagnosing it and finally a month or so ago, I found a way to reproduce it nearly 100% of the time. Last week, I got a brand new loaner (6x,xxx VIN with newer FW) and it behaved exactly the same way. I showed my service advisor, so hopefully it will at least be recognized. But she didn't seem too concerned over it. So now, I'm asking you guys to try to duplicate it on your cars as well and let Tesla know we want this fixed.

• If all four passenger doors are closed, the liftgate will close like normal.
  • If any of the passenger doors are open, the liftgate will slam shut during closing.

That's it. I don't think it's quite 100%, so there might be a factor there. But once it's behaving like the above, it's pretty repeatable. You can open and close doors and try it out.

I have noticed this phenomenon as well. I have wondered as to the exact cause. I will have to test out the open door theory. Ironically the liftgate seemed to be functioning perfectly for the first 15 - 16 months of ownership. I have only recently noticed the slamming shut phenomena intermittently over the past couple of months.

So I'm NOT crazy! This started happening to my liftgate a few months ago and I was a little concerned that there were parts wearing out or something, except it wasn't consistent. At least it's good to know it's not just me.

For those claiming it's air-pressure-related, it's not in my case. I know this because it functioned perfectly for the first 1.5 years, and only started happening when I upgraded to firmware V6.0 a few months ago. I will try the doors-closed-with-windows-open case again just to be absolutely sure.

I will try to take a video of the VIN 6x,xxx Loaner behaving as I claim.

AmpedRealtor -- Your situation is a bit different. Sounds like you probably have another issue on top of this one.

I noted this some time ago in the 6.0 thread (as mentioned above) but am not sure it's a "problem". I had heard of other owners having problems with their trunks not latching properly and am assuming this little "slam" at the end is just to make sure it is down tight. Kind of like some of the firmware tweaks they've made to the pano roof mechanism over time.

For those claiming it's air-pressure-related, it's not in my case. I know this because it functioned perfectly for the first 1.5 years, and only started happening when I upgraded to firmware V6.0 a few months ago. I will try the doors-closed-with-windows-open case again just to be absolutely sure.

I will try to take a video of the VIN 6x,xxx Loaner behaving as I claim.

AmpedRealtor -- Your situation is a bit different. Sounds like you probably have another issue on top of this one.

Your thud must be dramatically louder than mine. I never would've noticed it on mine had you not brought it up. That you notice the change indicates it must be more than what I am seeing. (I also realize that there's no way the difference in mine would wake anyone up!)

This shows it's *probably* not firmware related, unless they made the change exclusivelyfor the earlier closing mechanism.

I've noticed the not "pulling in the final bit" part a few times but not because I noticed it slamming, but rather because I didn't hear the sound of the motor pulling it in the last bit. I hadn't really thought too much about what conditions caused it to happen, but I have noticed it a few times. I'll pay attention to see if it only happens when the doors are open like you mention. It sure does sound like air pressure is a factor. That said, like others have mentioned, I haven't noticed the way it closes being any louder than usual. If anything, it's quieter because it doesn't make that motor sound at the end.

I did a lot more experimentation and the air-pressure theory does seem to prove true. Let me explain.

Pre V6.0, the liftgate B]always[/B] closes with the latch pulling it in the final bit. After V6.0, something changed. Tonight, I tested with a window cracked open (1" - 2") and all doors closed, the liftgate closed "normal". If I open the window more (3" or more) with all doors closed, the liftgate would "slam". The loaner also has a sunroof that my car does not, so I tested that too... With all doors and windows closed, and the sunroof in the "vent" position, the lifgate closed "normal" most of the time. But with the sunroof open any wider, the liftgate will always "slam".

Another experiment I did was to open one rear passenger window just wide enough to consistently repeat the liftgate "slam" (about 3"). After confirming that, I would then press the close-trunk button one more time. But this time, instead of letting it slam, I ran to the window and placed my arm over as much of the window opening as possible before the liftgate closed. And sure enough, the liftgate closed "normal". I tried this several times back and forth -- with arm and without arm over the opening and was able to reproduce this.

So, it seems the V 6.0 firmware changed the behavior of the liftgate closure and it is now sensitive to cabin pressure. I think my liftgate is particularly louder during the "slam" due to possible misalignment. It is an early VIN and was not aligned great from the factory. The service center has adjusted it before and even replaced the right powered strut due to some weird noise it was making. Maybe it'll never be quite right.

I did a lot more experimentation and the air-pressure theory does seem to prove true. Let me explain.

Pre V6.0, the liftgate B]always[/B] closes with the latch pulling it in the final bit. After V6.0, something changed. Tonight, I tested with a window cracked open (1" - 2") and all doors closed, the liftgate closed "normal". If I open the window more (3" or more) with all doors closed, the liftgate would "slam". The loaner also has a sunroof that my car does not, so I tested that too... With all doors and windows closed, and the sunroof in the "vent" position, the lifgate closed "normal" most of the time. But with the sunroof open any wider, the liftgate will always "slam".

Another experiment I did was to open one rear passenger window just wide enough to consistently repeat the liftgate "slam" (about 3"). After confirming that, I would then press the close-trunk button one more time. But this time, instead of letting it slam, I ran to the window and placed my arm over as much of the window opening as possible before the liftgate closed. And sure enough, the liftgate closed "normal". I tried this several times back and forth -- with arm and without arm over the opening and was able to reproduce this.

So, it seems the V 6.0 firmware changed the behavior of the liftgate closure and it is now sensitive to cabin pressure. I think my liftgate is particularly louder during the "slam" due to possible misalignment. It is an early VIN and was not aligned great from the factory. The service center has adjusted it before and even replaced the right powered strut due to some weird noise it was making. Maybe it'll never be quite right.

I did a less detailed trial and my results are the same. IMHO, when the liftgate has to overcome the air pressure of an airtight cabin, it ends with a cushioned "bump" and needs that last "click" to complete the latching procedure. When there is adequate cabin venting of any sort, the lack of air pressure/resistance within the cabin allows it to drop more forcefully and "slam" and the need for that last pull from the latching mechanism is negated. Either way, I am not bothered by the difference in sound volume or quality - one of the blessings of being hearing-impaired. :tongue:

No, my issue is exactly like yours. It was shutting fine since August of 2013 and the behavior changed after installing 6.0. Now it just slams towards the end instead of being pulled closed gently at the very end by the latching mechanism. I was just saying that the issue has nothing to do with air pressure because after 6.0 my trunk slams regardless of whether any other doors or windows are open or closed. The behavior remains unchanged.

Looked at this today as I hadn't noticed before. I would never have referred to what is going on as a "Slam", but it does seem to drop the last 2-3" with a much more assertive thunk than I recall previously. But it doesn't seem extreme in any way. If someone is seeing something more dramatic please just shoot an iPhone video and share it.

Looked at this today as I hadn't noticed before. I would never have referred to what is going on as a "Slam", but it does seem to drop the last 2-3" with a much more assertive thunk than I recall previously. But it doesn't seem extreme in any way. If someone is seeing something more dramatic please just shoot an iPhone video and share it.

Exactly what I see as well. I dont characterize it as a "problem", just a noticeable difference since firmware 6.0 came out.

I actually have a different problem lately: when I try to open my liftgate by pressing the button underneath it, it releases but sometimes doesn't open. I came to the conclusion it was a post-rain and air pressure issue. Maybe these things are related?

I actually have a different problem lately: when I try to open my liftgate by pressing the button underneath it, it releases but sometimes doesn't open. I came to the conclusion it was a post-rain and air pressure issue. Maybe these things are related?
This behaviour is probably something you need to contact the SC about. I've not had that issue with 6.0.