Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate Slamming Shut with Firmware V6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having both issues slamming at the end and sometimes when I use the dash control or fob to open the hatch it unlocks but does not open. I thought it was weak lift shocks and now realize this happened after the update. I once asked a very knowledgable Tesla tech who is now heading one of tne largest Service Centers how the force of the trunk lifts is controlled and he said the firmware is written with parametrs to control the operation. Perhaps an adjustment in the firmware would correct these issues. If mine keeps acting up I will ask for the lift shocks to be replaced.

I actually have a different problem lately: when I try to open my liftgate by pressing the button underneath it, it releases but sometimes doesn't open. I came to the conclusion it was a post-rain and air pressure issue. Maybe these things are related?

Does it beep and complain like it got stuck? I had the same problem a few months ago and it ended up being both the sensor that goes around the inside rim to sense if someone's finger gets stuck in the door as well as the module that controls the liftgate. First they replaced the sensor which they said definitely looked defective, but the problem returned a day later, so they replaced the control module. It's been problem-free since then.

When I say my liftgate "slams" shut, I mean at the very end. It still lowers at the same rate. Prior to 6.0 at the very end it would slow down and get pulled shut by a whirring mechanism that you can hear. Presumably the latch mechanism. After 6.0, it still closes at the same speed, but at the very end it no longer slows down, there is no whirring of the latch mechanism, and the liftgate just shuts. It's not a problem at all, just a different behavior that I find curious. It doesn't seem as gentle as before.

When I say my liftgate "slams" shut, I mean at the very end. It still lowers at the same rate. Prior to 6.0 at the very end it would slow down and get pulled shut by a whirring mechanism that you can hear. Presumably the latch mechanism. After 6.0, it still closes at the same speed, but at the very end it no longer slows down, there is no whirring of the latch mechanism, and the liftgate just shuts. It's not a problem at all, just a different behavior that I find curious. It doesn't seem as gentle as before.

Exactly. And again, I don't think this is a "problem". To me it seems like a tweak Tesla introduced to address a potential issue where the hatch might not close fully.

I see this exact same behavior recently. I thought I broke my trunk latch but giving the trunk an extra push when the car was packed with extra load. Turns out it's exhibiting the same behavior of when a door is open or not. I did not notice that it was related to 6.0, but sounds like it may have been.

I had the same clunky/thudding trunk close problem in the fall. The Rockville, MD service center fixed it and it has not returned since. I cannot find the service paperwork in my email, but as I recall the fix had to do with adjusting some contact points. Just wanted to point out that it is something the SC can fix.

I just tested this now and find the same thing. With all doors and windows closed, the trunk hatch drops down and is obviously pulled the last few mm down. With one door open, it drops all the way with a fairly slight (and solid sounding) thunk and appears to be completely closed and is latched. But in my case, it does not slam at all. It's not particularly loud and really not noticeable unless looking for it. It's much quieter than when I manually close the hatch on my '06 Acura RDX (a larger hatch, yes). Funny...the hatch seems to close slowly enough that I am actually surprised that the air pressure would have that much of an effect.

I am thinking that if you are getting a loud slam, perhaps you could check the bumper stops to see if they need to be adjusted slightly. I can definitely see a car that is a couple years old having either dry stops or stops that have slowly moved out of the optimal position. I have had to adjust them on other cars that I have owned.